Noice. I like the swirl pattern.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/14/09 2:42 p.m.

uh-huh.....

kb58
kb58 New Reader
7/14/09 2:42 p.m.

Gads... that'll go nicely with the sand-into-the-throttlebody-while-the-engine's-running port job... real story that. At least he didn't do his magic with the pistons in place... wonder what kept him from doing so.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/09 3:14 p.m.

Was that a 4AGE? God...that's AWFUL.

On second thought...that looks more like a 3sfe. Corrolla?

erohslc
erohslc Reader
7/14/09 6:32 p.m.

In reply to kb58:

Don't be too sure, look at the top right edge around the leftmost bore.

Carter

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/15/09 11:59 a.m.

says in the post guy bought it built with a 5sfe bottom end with a 3sgte top end from someone... special custom build thats for sure :)

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/15/09 12:08 p.m.
donalson wrote: says in the post guy bought it built with a 5sfe bottom end with a 3sgte top end from someone... special custom build thats for sure :)

That's actually a pretty common 3sgte "stroker" setup. Lot of MR2 guys running that. Easy to do if you already have the 3sgte electronics.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
7/15/09 12:11 p.m.

That'll go perfect with my turbo I welded on some extra turbine blades!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/15/09 12:12 p.m.
Carson wrote: That'll go perfect with my turbo I welded on some extra turbine blades!

Hahaha, i actually found that thread on MX6.com the other day....

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
7/15/09 8:09 p.m.

Ha ah. That has Challenge written all over it.

Rufledt
Rufledt New Reader
7/15/09 8:19 p.m.

something tells me he didn't balance the pistons to make sure he removed the same amount from each one.... something also tells me that will never run, but if it does, how awesome would that be?!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
7/15/09 11:16 p.m.

It would probably run, it would be somewhat "tractory" though.

You'd be amazed at how bad an engine can be and still run.

I've seen a Chryco slant six run at WOT for 20 minutes with no water, no oil and a rod poking out of the oilpan.

I watched a Buick 455 win a demo derby with no coolant, you could -hear- the blown headgaskets puffing air. It dieseled for a good long time when they finally shut it off.

Shawn

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/15/09 11:29 p.m.

engines just want to run, man.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/16/09 7:32 a.m.

Although that looks horribly, HORRIBLY executed, don't knock the theory too hard. I've personally witnessed Andy Nelson cut valve reliefs in his pistons with a hand held mini belt sander, and we all know how those engines run. That being said, this guy is no Andy Nelson.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/17/09 4:45 a.m.

Mmmhmmm. Was thinking the same thing. Smokey, Kas, etc. They've cut down pistons with sanders, hacksaws, files, etc.

This persons execution leaves a lot to be desired, but his head was in the right place.

minimac
minimac Dork
7/17/09 5:52 a.m.

I once had a guy watch me as I took a grinder to my cam. I told him I was changing the profile of the lobes so the cam would "ramp up" faster so it could fill the chambers better. He stood and watched me, so when I finished, I put the cam into the engine, new gaskets, heads back on,etc., but didn't torqued them. He watched and helped, then we went home for the night, around 10pm. What he didn't see was me getting up @1:30 and going back to the shop. I had to pull the motor all apart, get rid of that stupid cam and replace it with a Chet Herbert regrind. Then I put everything together as it was. I closed up, went home to shower and change, and went to the shop, where he was waiting with coffee. We then finished buttoning up the motor. Even though I was beat, the look on his face was worth it when the car fired and he heard that lumpy idle.He told everyone how I had ground my own cam and swore it was true(even 30 years later!) because he watched me do it. A couple of his wiener buddies wanted me to "fix" their cams, and even offered stupid bucks to do it. I still haven't told him the truth!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/17/09 6:47 a.m.

Yeah, if you use your head a little belt sander or etc work can go a long ways. I saw a Husqvarna piston that had been knurled with an icepick, guy did a nice job and it worked great. I've personally surfaced a motorcycle head with 600/1500 grit paper on a sheet of glass. But like 16vCorey says, this guy ain't no Andy Nelson.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
7/17/09 9:38 a.m.

I saw a Chevy 2.8 with the two center rods sticking out of the block. Still ran, we drove it into the shop.

nfanslau
nfanslau New Reader
7/17/09 11:19 a.m.
jensenman said: I've personally surfaced a motorcycle head with 600/1500 grit paper on a sheet of glass.

This is actually the method for surfacing that I've seen recommended in several factory manuals for motorcycles.

Not to mention the practice of sanding the O.D. of lightly seized pistons and slapping it back together. Another little recommendation I've seen in a factory manual.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
7/17/09 9:37 p.m.

Like the old saying, that a Chevy motor will run badly longer than other engines run at all.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/18/09 1:30 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
donalson wrote: says in the post guy bought it built with a 5sfe bottom end with a 3sgte top end from someone... special custom build thats for sure :)
That's actually a pretty common 3sgte "stroker" setup. Lot of MR2 guys running that. Easy to do if you already have the 3sgte electronics.

ya I know about the 5sg(t)e setup... friend rain it for a while with some nice numbers... pretty much the same thing as running a 7afe bottom end with the 4ag head...

the "custom" pistons is more what I was talking about haha... just amazing what some people will do... and there is a big difference between someone "hand cutting" valve relifes and what we have shown here lol...

dennisg
dennisg New Reader
8/12/09 5:00 p.m.
minimac wrote: I once had a guy watch me as I took a grinder to my cam. I told him I was changing the profile of the lobes so the cam would "ramp up" faster so it could fill the chambers better. He stood and watched me, so when I finished, I put the cam into the engine, new gaskets, heads back on,etc., but didn't torqued them. He watched and helped, then we went home for the night, around 10pm. What he didn't see was me getting up @1:30 and going back to the shop. I had to pull the motor all apart, get rid of that stupid cam and replace it with a Chet Herbert regrind. Then I put everything together as it was. I closed up, went home to shower and change, and went to the shop, where he was waiting with coffee. We then finished buttoning up the motor. Even though I was beat, the look on his face was worth it when the car fired and he heard that lumpy idle.He told everyone how I had ground my own cam and swore it was true(even 30 years later!) because he watched me do it. A couple of his wiener buddies wanted me to "fix" their cams, and even offered stupid bucks to do it. I still haven't told him the truth! You deserve some sort of prize for that, I love it.
erohslc
erohslc Reader
8/12/09 5:31 p.m.

That'll buff out, no problem.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
8/12/09 9:53 p.m.

I really have a hard time believing that someone could be so stupid.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
8/13/09 10:13 a.m.
2002maniac wrote: I really have a hard time believing that someone could be so stupid.

never underestimate a budget restricted car enthusiasts ability to brilliantly overcome obstacles...or their capicity for stupidity.

take your pick

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
31xH0QMFiWL5khNSJ6zddAvm06Fzpfzd4n11I9FP8RqJQleV7b57ucH3WsdIeTX4