1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
6/16/14 5:28 p.m.

Hey guys,

I hopefully will be getting my imported 89 Mitsubishi Delica form Canada in the next few months. I have many plans for it, but maybe the first thing I should do is something about the stereo. It has the factory National(Panasonic) stereo in it currently, and while I would love to keep it, I know it will not work with our FM bands in North America. I want to replace it with something that looks period correct if possible as I don't like the look of modern stereos in old cars. Any suggestions? Maybe something crazy from Japan, as long as it doesn't cost a fortune? Where is the best place to look for this stuff? I am not an audiophile, but I do love music, just don't know a thing about electronics.

Thanks,

Chris

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/16/14 5:36 p.m.

There are stereo resto shops. Maybe they can put the correct tuner in that radio??? I bet it's fairly easy for them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/16/14 5:53 p.m.

I'd start with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FM-Band-Frequency-Expander-Japanese-Car-Radio-Converter-AM-Bypasses-Directly-/150881349558

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
6/16/14 6:01 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I'd start with something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FM-Band-Frequency-Expander-Japanese-Car-Radio-Converter-AM-Bypasses-Directly-/150881349558

Don't get that one though... I used a frequency expander for my JDM Denon headunit and that particular expander got me exactly one station. You need to find one that you can select multiple ranges. Even then it isn't a great option, but I've found that I just don't miss the radio at all. If I want to listen to the radio in my car, I just plug my phone in (...to the RCA inputs) and use a streaming radio app.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/16/14 8:08 p.m.

Post on various Miata forums looking for a stereo "take-out" from an early NA model.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
6/16/14 9:22 p.m.

Pm me if you want an older Miata radio.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/16/14 10:04 p.m.

Why not upgrade but have something that looks right? Denon z1, old Alpine, etc.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/16/14 10:18 p.m.

I would buy a magazine for old school cars and check the ads for new, modern radios with the original faces on them. It may cost more then having the original radio restored, but the music will sound worlds better.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/14 11:19 p.m.

Here is a start. That's a link to a google search. Normally I hate it when someone does that, but I promise I'm not being a smart-ass.

There are several companies who specialize in stuffing new/better guts in classic radio chassis so you can have good tunes in a classic ride without having it look obvious. I might try contacting some of these guys. Some of them will be very specific, but some might have the expertise to do it.

Old stereos are just that... unless you find a NIB unit (and pay crazy money for it), its a big crap shoot.

AverageH
AverageH Reader
6/17/14 12:21 a.m.

Nice car choice mang! I often look for Delicas and will always fantasize about owning one. I'm 30 minutes from the Canadian border so it's just so tempting! Maybe one day when I get used to maintaining the 4 cars that I already have, I can get one as my fifth. Let us know how you like it.

-Hamid

jstand
jstand Reader
6/17/14 4:30 a.m.

If you get a converter that gets you at least one station, you could get XM.

The tuner for the XM is removable and can be placed someplace inconspicuous like the glove box.

You can use the in-line antenna relay to get a good signal even if you have to use the same frequency as one of the local FM stations

The only thing would be finding a spot to mount the little disc antenna that wouldn't look out of place.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/17/14 8:15 a.m.

Man, you just missed the Mansfield Swap Meet by a few weeks. They always have ridiculous old-school head units there. I almost bought a early 90's Pioneer pull-out tape deck last year for $2 but I had absolutely no use for it.

If you want something a little newer that maintains an old-school look, try to find one of these (they are discontinued):

It's a Kenwood EZ500. It plays CD's and MP3 CD's and has a rear aux input. You can also get a cable that hooks into the serial bus that will allow for an iPod to be used with it. I have one, and I love it. It's a great stereo.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/14 9:00 a.m.

Try this: RetroSound

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/17/14 9:51 a.m.

Head to the junkyard and find a stereo from an 89 Mitsu that is the same size and look? Unless I'm on a long road trip I find I can deal with just AM/FM for a few hours until it becomes tedious. Besides, a period radio will look perfect in your dash--- and you can stock up on cassettes!

Leafy
Leafy Reader
6/17/14 9:58 a.m.

Jensen HD is like they only halfway decent looking headunit you can buy new these day in america. Everything else looks hella rice.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
6/17/14 11:21 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Head to the junkyard and find a stereo from an 89 Mitsu that is the same size and look? Unless I'm on a long road trip I find I can deal with just AM/FM for a few hours until it becomes tedious. Besides, a period radio will look perfect in your dash--- and you can stock up on cassettes!

This seems to be a great idea, but the chances of finding a vintage Mitsubishi stereo around here at a junkyard are probably nil. Anyone in a more import laden area that doesn't use salt know of a junkyard that may have this sort of stuff?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/17/14 11:46 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Head to the junkyard and find a stereo from an 89 Mitsu that is the same size and look? Unless I'm on a long road trip I find I can deal with just AM/FM for a few hours until it becomes tedious. Besides, a period radio will look perfect in your dash--- and you can stock up on cassettes!
This seems to be a great idea, but the chances of finding a vintage Mitsubishi stereo around here at a junkyard are probably nil. Anyone in a more import laden area that doesn't use salt know of a junkyard that may have this sort of stuff?

Try Middleboro Auto Salvage. I went there a few weeks ago and they had a few Mitsubishis kicking around.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/21/14 5:07 p.m.

I really need to do something about a stereo in this van. I like listening to the diesel hum, but drowning out the arguing kids would be good as well.

Anymore ideas? I want something simple, and not so modern so it looks normal in the van. Some way of running an auxiliary input would be great, but not really necessary I suppose. The stereo is a double height(DIN) opening so bear with me on this stuff as I know nothing about car audio.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/21/14 5:23 p.m.

Go to the pick and pull and look for 80s Mitsubishis.

Alternatively, Japanese FM overlaps the US band a little right? Just use one of those little in car FM transmitters with adjustable frequency. Plug into an ipod or whatever.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/21/14 5:43 p.m.

Here's a radio on eBay identified as 1989 mitsubishi, but I don't know if it will fit your van: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Plymouth-Dodge-Mitsubishi-Digital-AM-FM-Radio-OEM-Part-MB541032-/331304543372 It's just AM-FM with no CD or cassette, but you could buy one of these to run an iPad or your phone through it: http://rediscoveradio.com/ They're made by a friend of mine, and they work pretty well.

imgon
imgon New Reader
9/21/14 6:03 p.m.

Have you tried Autosports/Cellular Concepts in Kingston? They are in the old Driver's Edge building, I think they are more into the Jeep scene now but stereos were their main business in their old place. They should be able to point you in the right direction if they don't have something available. I have found them very helpful finding odd ball stuff for my car and bike. Another place to try might be, Then & Now, they are up in Weymouth, right near where 53 and 18 meet, but they might be too old as I think they are more into 50's-60's cars. What's the matter with just singing to the kids, that will quiet them down quickly I bet.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/21/14 8:04 p.m.

Old Mitsu which claims to be New In Box $19.99

Mitsu w/ 4 disk changer and cassette $10

The existence of a working cassette will allow for a cassette to 3.5mm adapter to run new electronics.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/22/14 5:22 a.m.

I bought a cheap cassette adapter today at the flea market, but the stereo is jacked up and only the rear speakers seem to work(sometimes), and every now and then the fronts will kick in for about 3 seconds. I need a new stereo.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/22/14 6:18 a.m.

Ive been in the same boat lately. I used a double din jvc in the wife's Subaru that looks a lot better than most on the market today.

Jvc and blaupunkt have the least ugly of the newest crop of radios.

Go to crutcfield and just look through all receivers. You'll find one.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/28/14 12:26 a.m.

I pulled the head unit out of the van a few days ago. Opened it up a bit today. Was wondering if I could somehow use some sort of solvent or cleaner that is safe for the electronics to possibly get the speaker output working the proper way again?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RuwUZiupUsP5nZlTJRfoMPyjuzWomDbxUtxo7byKFecqmSq91r3XReNUyrgItrFb