neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
11/21/10 2:13 p.m.

Being that I went from on Scirocco 2 (totaled) to another I decided it was time to change up the wheels. The old ones were 15x7 38mm offset and around 13lbs, but were a pain to clean, were having finish issues, and I wanted a lower offset without relying on spacers.

I've really liked the TRM C1's, gun metal hides the brake grime better than gold and no fake lip bolts to clean around, and 25mm offset meets my spacing requirements.

But I've seen that the BMW E30 versions have a 15x8 with a 20mm offset, which by all measurements should fit fine. As a bonus I think they look a bit better and have a center cap.

The car is my DD putting a bunch of miles on everyday, but I like to take it out for some fun through twisty roads and the occasional AutoX just for fun. Other mods on the car put it in SP, so wheel width isn't restricted.

My bigger question is it worth it to go wider as far as suspension performance? I'm having a bit of a tire issue.

Tire options: 195/50/15 Stock size, but it stretches a bit over a 8" wide rim 205/50/15 doesn't stretch as bad as the 195's but increase in OD 215/45/15 Ideal for width an OD, but street tires are few and really low UTQG 225/45/15 same as above but more rubber

So would I have better handling with the 15x8, or just go back to 15x7?

failboat
failboat Reader
11/21/10 2:57 p.m.

whats the problem with a very slight OD increase for the 205/50?

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
11/21/10 3:24 p.m.

not a lot really, but it does effectively increase gearing, but the plethora of tires and easier fitment over the 15x8 makes it probably the most appealing option.

failboat
failboat Reader
11/21/10 3:40 p.m.

I dare say it has just the right amount of stretch on an 8" wheel without looking ridiculous, definitely a lot of cheap tire choices from standard all seasons to race rubber.

with the sidewalls stretched a little tighter there will theoretically be less lateral flex, steering should feel more responsive than the same tire mounted on a 7"

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
11/21/10 3:41 p.m.

I think I'd want the 205/50 myself, but then I'm a bit of a slut for short and fat rubber.

If you're undecided as to which brand/model of tire you'd like, I'd start at tirerack.com by comparing OD measurements for their available 205/50s. Grab the shortest and stickiest you like for the $ and go!

Happy hunting!

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
11/21/10 6:02 p.m.

Its a toss up between the Yokohama S.drive and the Fusion ZRI. UHP Summers give a good balance of performance in all warmer weathers.

BFG Gsports were my last tires and I was rather unimpressed.

My time with Hankook RS2's taught me (the hard way) about limitations of XP tires on the street. But their traction was addictive, and the Kumho XS is in that same bracket for only $11 more per tire over the UHP tires.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
11/21/10 9:17 p.m.

I would think that there is not much performance improvement with a 15 X 8 wheel over a 15 X 7 wheel. If your using the same size tire, like a 205/50 X 15, in fact I think very little. It may even be a net loss as the 8 inch wheel will be heavier. I have a MK II Scriocco as well and I am using 15 X 7 Enki's that weight just over 9 lbs each with 205/50 X 15 tires.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
11/21/10 9:19 p.m.

Watch 8's and outer fender clearance on a Mk1. Depends on 'stance' though, but that's a whole other thread.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
11/21/10 10:11 p.m.

Thats actually why I posted specifically on here Paul. Even in the more moderate Scirocco forum I was getting advice to try 15x7 on front and 15x8 on the rear to get that "look." They're missing the point of question. But I think I'll order a loose wheel up to my shop and do a test fit first.

Jim, I appreciate the input. I've heard the advice go either way in the weight vs width. If I could find a cheap lighter wheel that would what I prefer, my old Falken Hanabis were great for that, but they were NLA when I went to replace one and had offset issues that required spacers for the Scirocco.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
11/22/10 9:44 a.m.

I hear you. If it were me I'd do the 205 on the 7 and quit thinking and start enjoying the new ride.

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
11/22/10 2:07 p.m.

She's got her 14" winter boots on for now. Pleanty of time to mull over wheels for the spring. Got more than enough 'items' to deal with on her before I can really start enjoying her.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/22/10 2:43 p.m.

For a 205/50, I'd go with the 15x7. FWIW, in the latest issue of GRM, Tom Suddard's E30 gets 15x7 TRM C1's w/ 205/50 Kumho XS's.

Unless you plan to try 225/45-15 Hankook's in the future, I can't see a reason to go with the 15x8's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M3I81rJNMvaWQFFzvWCRkKxvQzLhBDXPgQETRBoMprFDTP3fgPXsODr2bhVtVbGK