Jerry
Jerry Dork
5/15/14 8:54 a.m.

Checked Pep Boys over the winter, nothing. Figured when it warmed up I'd try a dealer. Subaru dealer said call NAPA. NAPA said no paints, try CarPaint shop down the street in West Carrolton OH CarPaint. He said he needs the paint code & can mix it in a spray can for $35.

Do I have any other options? I want to do a little rust repair on the rear quarter panels, and maybe some rust blossoming under the paint in a few spots if the paint matches enough.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/14 8:59 a.m.

I bought factory paint in a can from these guys: http://www.paintscratch.com/ and wad was very happy every time.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
5/15/14 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

They have a spray rust converter. Ever tried that?

10 oz. One-Step Rust Converter (Spray Can)

Mar-Hyde One-Step Rust Converter Primer Sealer chemically reacts to convert rust into a hard, black primer sealer. Apply One-Step on rusted surfaces and rust is permanently converted and ready for primer and topcoat.

One-Step Rust Converter
10 oz. Spray Can
The spray can of Rust converter converts rust into a black, stable compound.
Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/15/14 9:58 a.m.

I was in the same boat with the GTO. I used these guys: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Fast, reasonably priced, and the paint is a perfect match.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
5/15/14 10:04 a.m.
Jerry wrote: /Carpaint.937-866-6766">CarPaint. He said he needs the paint code & can mix it in a spray can for $35.

There are other options, but I fail to see why this one is not the obvious winner? Are you saying $35 is too much for what you want to spend on this?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/15/14 10:11 a.m.

A lot of the parts stores have gone to an all in one touch up pen that costs about $15. Te days where you could go and buy primer and paint in little bottles or spray cans seem to have passed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/14 10:14 a.m.

No they haven't. You just walk into a paint store and tell them you want one. It'll be proper automotive paint, mixed to match. You can even bring in a chip. Jerry already knows this.

I believe Per painted the Alfa either partially or entirely like this. We use them in our V8 builds, you get a good finish if you take care.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
5/15/14 10:36 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

It's a bit pricey for a can of spray paint, but just looking at options. Especially for success stories, that's why we post questions on here. Normally anyway...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/14 10:48 a.m.

If you want a cheaper option, get a $10 HVLP gun from Harbor Freight.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
5/15/14 11:41 a.m.

I need some scratch touch-up for my Legend Lime Mustang, haven't found it anywhere. Thanks for the link Javelin !!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bcaJNuS00zlZMam7l4fKpjGcmdBTY1tYB4KqJO1cOlHZbWC1XfbqFeT2R4sElTev