1 2
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/4/21 1:56 p.m.

The early a bodies are also different enough that swappability and aftermarket support is seriously limited compared to the later a bodies. Just not as much out there, and the engine bay is way more cramped. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/4/21 2:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The early a bodies are also different enough that swappability and aftermarket support is seriously limited compared to the later a bodies. Just not as much out there, and the engine bay is way more cramped. 

More specifically, the '60-'61 A-bodies had some pretty significant suspension differences. The '62-'66, not so much. The '62-'66 cars is about 1" narrower track width than the '67 and later but will accept all the same parts except the K-member. The '60-'61s use the same shocks and torsion bars as later A-bodies but pretty much everything else is different.

The weirdest thing is that while they redid the front suspension in 1962, the styling didn't get changed until 1963. Apparently it is possible to get the later suspension bits onto '60-'61 cars if you swap over enough other parts - I don't know what "enough other parts" is, however.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/4/21 2:39 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Really? I had truly believed that there was more difference. 

Now I feel bad that i dpread disinformation. My apologies op. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/21 2:47 p.m.

Damn... that $5500 Duster is a pretty good deal these days...

From what I've read you can throw a ton of money at a Slant 6 and it'll be about as powerful as a cheap V8... but it'd be fun. 

As much as I love old Mopars, if I were to go down the "CAM-build" road, I'd look for an older Mustang. Easier to get parts for to make them handle. Easier and usually a bit cheaper to find a good project starting point. Way easier/cheaper to get HP.

Gary8878
Gary8878 New Reader
8/4/21 4:02 p.m.

Mopar Action built a 69' Valiant 20+ years ago for course racing. Clocked at 163 mph uphill at Watkins Glen, NY. 340 stroked mated to a 5 speed. Beat C5 Vettes and  Vipers. THIS is my style!

https://www.moparaction.com/tag/green-brick/

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
8/4/21 6:25 p.m.

I've owned a couple of 6 cylinder equipped Plymouths and have driven older, 6 cylinder full-sized and V8 powered sedans.  Nearly all had automatic transmissions.

I love the Chrysler " engineering philosophy ", and the styling is appealing if you like " workmanlike "/ blue collar styling.  But if I ever buy another one, I would need to perform some re-engineering of the steering as every one I have ever driven with power steering is devoid of feeling and almost loose in feeling.

Would really love a 65-69 Valiant.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/5/21 8:18 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

From what I've read you can throw a ton of money at a Slant 6 and it'll be about as powerful as a cheap V8... but it'd be fun. 

A slant six is one of those engines where it's easy to make it faster than it originally was, but is hard to make fast. Generally, it's something you might want to take up if you want the challenge of building an engine that doesn't have a ton of aftermarket support.

Dusterbd13-michael said:

Really? I had truly believed that there was more difference. 

Now I feel bad that i dpread disinformation. My apologies op. 

No problem. The earlier A bodies are narrower under the hood and don't have a lot of clearance for V8 exhausts.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/5/21 12:46 p.m.

I had a blow through turbo 225 in my d150 stepside for awhile, it was fun; but not as fun as the police 318 I swapped in after. The real issue is how expensive it gets making any "real" power out of that entire generation of engines.

Carsandbikes said:

if I ever buy another one, I would need to perform some re-engineering of the steering as every one I have ever driven with power steering is devoid of feeling and almost loose in feeling.

Would really love a 65-69 Valiant.

Fast ratio manual box

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AHZt9wTyw1hHouYSfifgwdJjMtgrObdKZRdU3HJT3vccxGLKuBNETtWoUyhGNVG8