1 2 3
Leafy
Leafy Reader
10/31/14 11:05 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Isn't towing an area where overkill is not supposed to be frowned upon?

Until you drive that full cab f450 long bed as your primary tow rig and then end up being forced to borrow a 1/2 ton truck and then you realize how much more pleasant it is to own the minimal amount of truck for the job. And the whole overkill thing has been pushed to the point where a person can suggest 3/4ton trucks as the minimum to pull an open car trailer and you're not sure if they're making a joke about overkill or actually being serious.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/31/14 11:07 a.m.
Leafy wrote:
ebonyandivory wrote: Isn't towing an area where overkill is not supposed to be frowned upon?
Until you drive that full cab f450 long bed as your primary tow rig and then end up being forced to borrow a 1/2 ton truck and then you realize how much more pleasant it is to own the minimal amount of truck for the job. And the whole overkill thing has been pushed to the point where a person can suggest 3/4ton trucks as the minimum to pull an open car trailer and you're not sure if they're making a joke about overkill or actually being serious.

Conversely you would rather suggest someone who pulls a horse trailer around should use a half ton.......SMDH.

FWIW, 3/4 tons do pull 3k+ loads better than 1/2 tons. Just how it has always been.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/31/14 11:40 a.m.

If I OWNED a 1/2 ton (I do) and needed to tow an open car trailer I'd do it.

If I had the means and was looking to buy a truck to tow an open car trailer, I'd go 3/4 ton.

Same thing if I had to tow what the op is towing: I'd skip up to the next size.

I think of it like shoes: sure, I can squeeze my feet into size 11 but size 12 will allow me to wear winter socks and actually wiggle my toes

I also must have missed where he wrote he was buying an F450.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/14 12:02 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: FYI, there's a $500 incentive for being a member of the American Quarter Horse Association. Membership is $40. You don't need to own a quarter horse to join.

You only use 25% of a horse? We use 100% of our Appaloosas.

Yes its an old joke but it always makes me chuckle.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/31/14 12:17 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

Leafy just went off the deep end on a misguided rant.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/31/14 12:22 p.m.
Leafy wrote:

In the last 6 months I've towed with a modified 95 1 ton dodge with the cummins, a 2011 f150 4wd with the 5.0, a 2012 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the hemi, and a 97 k3500 with the vortech 454 and a 5 speed. I feel like I have a very good grasp on my towing needs and, while the modern 1/2 tons tow VERY well for lighter duty trucks, I just bought an 02 k3500 CC dually with the Duramax/Allison combo. I drove it 400 miles home and it's a pretty damn nice place to spend time in. When it comes to heavier towing and long distances there is just no substitute for a newer HD diesel truck imo.

BTW my last open "car trailer" tow came in at over 10k all in, so yeah I don't think a 3/4 ton or 1 ton is overkill there. Hell even if it were just 5k I'd rather take my HD truck. Effortless towing is nice peace of mind.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
10/31/14 12:45 p.m.

Leafy, just stop. He's already said he needs to tow more than 10,000 pounds, which eliminated 1/2-ton trucks from the running.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/31/14 12:46 p.m.
logdog wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: FYI, there's a $500 incentive for being a member of the American Quarter Horse Association. Membership is $40. You don't need to own a quarter horse to join.
You only use 25% of a horse? We use 100% of our Appaloosas. Yes its an old joke but it always makes me chuckle.

FWIW if I didn't already own the F250, I'd look at a half-ton for my car-hauling open trailer duties. For the horses, more is more.

logdog
10/31/14 1:03 p.m.

Who needs a trailer?

logdog
10/31/14 1:04 p.m.

Save gas. Haul with an open horse trailer.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/31/14 1:11 p.m.
logdog wrote: Save gas. Haul with an open horse trailer.

The mane problem there is it's not exactly aerodynamic. Looks like a turbulence night-mare.

Plus I wouldn't want to be saddled with the possibility of it falling off.

I bet you could tow that with a Rodeo. Or an older Mustang or similar Pony car. Not a Pinto though.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/31/14 2:22 p.m.

Any of the pony cars would suffice

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
10/31/14 2:49 p.m.

Is he STILL beating this dead horse (pun intended)? Jeebus dude.... Dave already told everyone multiple times that he needed.... you know what? Not worth it.

She get her new truck yet?

In Reply to ebonyandivory:

You have to make sure to use 3 straps to hold it down and it'll be fine.

logdog
10/31/14 3:00 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In Reply to ebonyandivory: You have to make sure to use 3 straps to hold it down and it'll be fine.

DOT regulations call for 4 points of contact. 1 at reach hoof.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/31/14 5:46 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Is he STILL beating this dead horse (pun intended)? Jeebus dude.... Dave already told everyone multiple times that he needed.... you know what? Not worth it. She get her new truck yet? In Reply to ebonyandivory: You have to make sure to use 3 straps to hold it down and it'll be fine.

Not yet, she's gearing up for the negotiations. She'll have a folder full of paperwork when she goes in to ensure she gets the best deal. She's her father's daughter.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
10/31/14 7:00 p.m.

Only Ram will sell you a diesel with a manual gearbox. How much will a 6-speed auto cost to rebuild when it grenades behind 750+ lbs*ft?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/31/14 9:12 p.m.

Well the new ford makes 860lb ft. So I'll find out!

logdog
11/5/14 6:50 p.m.

Where are the pics of the new oil burning hay burner hauler?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/5/14 7:45 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

THIS!!!!!!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/5/14 8:06 p.m.

Yeah, about that. This showed up in my barn yesterday (old pic with previous owner).

I guess she wants to wait until spring for the new truck...

Its name is Waffle. She's all smiles. Whatever makes you happy, babe.

Dav
Dav Reader
11/5/14 10:02 p.m.
Leafy wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: Pretty sure the big 3 do not adhere to SAE2807. Only Toyota does.
Ford even says it in some of their ads. Toyota was just the early adopter, it dropped their two ratings by thousands of pounds when they introduced it.

The adoption of J2807 dropped the Tundra's tow rating at most by 1100 lbs in a specific configuration (most lost a few hundred)--not "thousands".

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u5iQ4odRl1kIs5kbMpnwt2LVO1oYCXw3H7SfmmGzQl5p9r3TD1gID3h92F376p9s