bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/17 8:08 a.m.

Well then. Regal TourX.

I like the look at first blush.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/5/17 8:12 a.m.

I just bought a regal GS. I've been pretty impressed with it. I used to curse my buick (2000 lesabre that went 200000 trouble free miles) and then I go and buy another one.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/5/17 8:13 a.m.

Looks like a Volvo.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/5/17 8:14 a.m.

Nice to see it sitting at close to wagon height, rather than "OMG I wouldn't be caught dead in a station wagon, but if you jack it up 6 inches, suddenly it's the bestest thing ever" height.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/5/17 8:15 a.m.

Does nothing for me from the looks department, but I am a potential buyer (even new!) of this in about 3 years. Hope it's good.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/5/17 8:21 a.m.

Dumb name and I could do without the black cladding around the wheel wells, but other than that it's pretty cool. Interesting to see GM trying different stuff.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/5/17 8:22 a.m.

I definitely don't hate that.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/17 8:25 a.m.

Yea that's not bad at all! But let me guess, no stick in that configuration?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/5/17 8:29 a.m.
NickD wrote: Dumb name and I could do without the black cladding around the wheel wells, but other than that it's pretty cool. Interesting to see GM trying different stuff.

Black cladding makes it look like a Subaru, which I bet is the market they are targeting.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/17 8:30 a.m.
NickD wrote: Dumb name and I could do without the black cladding around the wheel wells, but other than that it's pretty cool. Interesting to see GM trying different stuff.

Agreed on the cladding in the looks department, though living in the city it would be practical for all the parking dings here. Wonder if the "sportback" fenders/liners are bolt on affairs.

Oh yeah, the non-wagon version is a hatchback/sportback/something with a hatch. No sedan version with a trunk. The regal is buick's bread and butter model, right? I've got to give them some credit for these decisions if that's the case.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/5/17 8:31 a.m.

I rather like that

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/5/17 8:34 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: Yea that's not bad at all! But let me guess, no stick in that configuration?

Since that would sell all of fourteen units, two of which were accidentally ordered incorrectly, I'd assume no

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/5/17 8:40 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Furious_E wrote: Yea that's not bad at all! But let me guess, no stick in that configuration?
Since that would sell all of fourteen units, two of which were accidentally ordered incorrectly, I'd assume no

Yeah, I call this the GRM Conundrum. The people who want that exact car to be made refuse to ever buy a new car.

On the topic of the black cladding, I always wanted an Audi Allroad with the tupperware filled smooth and painted to match the sheetmetal. This would benefit from the same treatment, probably.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
4/5/17 8:41 a.m.
mtn wrote: Does nothing for me from the looks department, but I am a potential buyer (even new!) of this in about 3 years. Hope it's good.

I spent some time working as a tech in a gm dealership so i can say that would be the right time to buy. Gm builds some super reliable stuff but its in your best interest not to buy the first couple model years of a new design. Give them a couple years to wok the bugs out, thats when you get the good ones.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/5/17 8:42 a.m.

I would bet that Buick s recent bread and butter is actually SUVs. As for the cladding, I imagine that like the Volvo XC and the Subaru Outback, the more you can give your wagon an SUV image, the better it will sell.

Merge these two thoughts and maybe this is a Buick plan to push some "would be SUV" sales back to a sedan platform so as to spread some sedan development costs and not fully abandoned Buick s sedan traditions.

STM317
STM317 Dork
4/5/17 8:43 a.m.
bluej wrote: The regal is buick's bread and butter model, right? I've got to give them some credit for these decisions if that's the case.

Crossovers are Buick's bread and butter. Everybody else too. Cadillac sold more of their new XT5 (formerly SRX) crossover than all of their sedan models combined last month. That same trend is pretty much industry wide. Wagons and hatches are at least kind of similar enough to the hot selling crossovers that they might do alright. Sedans, not so much. I think it's the smart business move on Buick's part.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/5/17 8:56 a.m.

Regal Sportback doesn't have the silly cladding. Also doesn't seem to have AWD, which doesn't bother me personally, but no manual transmission option.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/5/17 9:18 a.m.

I like how that looks. Is there a rear wheel drive version (a la CTS/ATS)?

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/17 9:38 a.m.
Duke wrote:
mtn wrote:
Yeah, I call this the **GRM Conundrum**. The people who want that exact car refuse to buy a new car. On the topic of the black cladding, I always wanted an Audi Allroad with the tupperware filled smooth and painted to match the sheetmetal. This would benefit from the same treatment, probably.

Guilty as charged

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/5/17 9:55 a.m.

I'd rather it just be RWD. Give me the 2.0T, RWD, wagon and 6 spd and I'll stop hyping up 25 year old volvos.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
4/5/17 10:10 a.m.

I think Buick is going to have a bit of an uphill battle here in the 'States, as pretty much all Millennials and Gen Exers view Buick as "what my grandpa drives."

That being said, that's a nice-looking car, and I love me some turbo wagon.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/5/17 10:16 a.m.

I hate that these press release images are cheesy renderings instead of an actual photo.

I like this angle better:

I like wagons, but I don't often like gigantic wagons, so this doesn't interest me very much.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/5/17 10:21 a.m.

I don't think the car is too big. I think the greenhouse needs more glass; rais the roof on this thing, especially in the rear, a few inches. Same reason I didn't like the Dodge Magnum; couldn't really see out of the thing.

I'd take a manual trans over a swap to RWD if I only got one wish in that department. Ah well.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/5/17 10:32 a.m.

Love it.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/5/17 10:43 a.m.

Nice Buick wagon, but needs more wood.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x44FD57zbMLUVXItyPEWzfTTb91JMXpgKP9oA8gBnDXFWsC8pqor4HRBiU03dxKu