1 2 3
Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/13/17 9:56 a.m.

I don't know what the stats are, but I seem to be seeing this generation Civics all over the place here. From my purely subjective standpoint, it looks like a home run product release. Also, subjectively speaking, I think that they look better in person than in two dimensions. I'd say that about most of the "busy" designs that are so popular with Honda, Hyundai, Toyota and such. They seem to show better from a kinetic than a static standpoint.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/17 10:02 a.m.

There's one down the street from me, it makes the STI, Evo, FoRS, etc. all look pedestrian in comparison. So I guess if that was their goal I'd say they succeeded!

I like the look of the si coupe though. It's much more subdued.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/13/17 11:02 a.m.

I like the wild styling, but I want the coupe.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/13/17 11:21 a.m.

It looks like a cheap '90s boom box. And the Si looks like an expensive '90s boom box. I don't get the appeal.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/13/17 12:56 p.m.

I really like the new headlight/grill design that Honda has been implementing. Unfortunately not enough to offset their more questionable design decisions though. I just can't get over the exaggerated fake "vents" and the rear bodywork/taillight designs. As an old-school fanboi I'm glad to see Honda getting out of their vanilla mode, but I'd like a little less OMGWTFBBQ styling.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/13/17 1:01 p.m.
Duke wrote: It looks like a cheap '90s boom box. And the Si looks like an expensive '90s boom box. I don't get the appeal.

I'm 40. I grew up with Transformers and Go-bots and Thundercats. And boom boxes. I wonder what the demographics for buyers are?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/13/17 2:47 p.m.

^^^ It seems many modern designs have been influenced by anime, and even the Bosozoku madness. So many new cars look like angry anime characters---- the rear of the C7 Corvette comes to mind. Many younger adults grew up in a heavily Japanese influenced world--- with Grand Turismo, Initial-D, and anime, so these over the top designs look natural and "right" to them.

At some point automotive design shifted from smooth organic shapes, to sharp-edged, very busy designs with scoops, fake inlets, and all kinds of "surface activity". Some folks like these designs, others are repelled by them.

I think Honda is aiming for the under 40 crowd with the new Civic's styling. I'm sure their bean-counters have studied their target market closely, so maybe they are right.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/13/17 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

The rear of the current Corvette looks like Castle Greyskull.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
4/13/17 4:52 p.m.

The front end is weird. The pods on each side of the nose make it look like it has some kind of unfortunate glandular condition. Otherwise bigness. It looks like it's about 50% crossover.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/14/17 9:12 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: ^^^ It seems many modern designs have been influenced by anime, and even the Bosozoku madness. So many new cars look like angry anime characters---- the rear of the C7 Corvette comes to mind. Many younger adults grew up in a heavily Japanese influenced world--- with Grand Turismo, Initial-D, and anime, so these over the top designs look natural and "right" to them. At some point automotive design shifted from smooth organic shapes, to sharp-edged, very busy designs with scoops, fake inlets, and all kinds of "surface activity". Some folks like these designs, others are repelled by them. I think Honda is aiming for the under 40 crowd with the new Civic's styling. I'm sure their bean-counters have studied their target market closely, so maybe they are right.

Those are astute observations. It's worth noting that when cars were "smooth and organic" people bitched that they all looked like jelly beans. Any design trend will have its opponents. Right now in some ways reminds me of the late 50s, with the design elements scaled down. Some people loved that era of elaborate grilles, tailfins and chrome. I tend to find it gratuitous and prefer the smoother styling of the late 30s through early 50s. To each their own.

Joe Gearin
4/14/17 9:32 a.m.

I do find it amusing that when Chris Bangle introduced "Flame surfacing" design to BMW, people lost their minds and wanted to tar and feather him.

Then the entire industry copied his design language.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
4/14/17 9:35 a.m.

I'm a big fan of the Civic Coupe as well as the hatch.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/14/17 9:41 a.m.

In reply to thedanimal: That angle is somewhat tolerable, but the arse end, holy E36M3 pull up your pants !!!!!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/17 9:55 a.m.

I like the look of them, but I also wonder whether in five years I'll take another look and go, "Why did I think that looked good?"

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
4/14/17 10:26 a.m.
penultimeta wrote: A bit off topic, but this thread got me wondering: does anybody know what drives automotive styling trends? I think of some things like the first gen Mazda 3 was gorgeous, the came the 2nd gen which was awful, and the newer ones look good again. But what is the impetuous for these awful angles, strange diffusers, and busy rear fascia on so many new cars?

Simple explanation:

All those Pontiac designers who lost their jobs in '09 had to turn up somewhere.

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
4/14/17 10:33 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

haha, fair point. It does look a bit...saggy.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/14/17 10:42 a.m.
thedanimal wrote: I'm a big fan of the Civic Coupe as well as the hatch.

FINALLY! they smallerized the crosstour!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/14/17 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

I love the crosstour.

Joe Gearin
4/14/17 11:46 a.m.

Ah, the Crosstour---- Honda's version of the AMC Eagle!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/14/17 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

When you phrase it that way it's no wonder I like it. I can't be the only one who secretly wanted a crosstour coupe with a manual, can I?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/14/17 12:07 p.m.

Nothing a bit of good lighting, photoshop and camera angle can't make a little better. Rear 3/4 view is better than the front 3/4 view. Not quite my taste - then again I like a 70s wedge.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/14/17 12:59 p.m.

Why does that car even have a back window?

Rupert
Rupert Dork
4/14/17 1:01 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Joe,

I think the newest Corvette, Camaro, and the "sporty" Cadillacs, all look like Gulliver or some other giant has come along and stepped on them.

I guess that's how GM gets elbow room and keeps a low center of gravity. But I still wouldn't buy any ride that looked like it had backed under a semi trailer before I took delivery!

Joe Gearin
4/14/17 1:22 p.m.

Rupert---the thing that bothers me the most about many modern designs, (GM included) is how high the belt-line is. Nearly all modern cars feel like you are sitting in a bathtub. That and horrid visibility seem to be par for the course these days.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
4/14/17 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Joe, I certainly agree! I believe the culprit is probably the ever increasingly strict rollover standards. At least the Hondas seem to have enough windows, even those which look weird, to see out of. My NB Miata, with the top up, has better rear and 3/4 vision than my almost new Mazda 3!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W7sbziAnr2jVlYtHhopUbednzmSCOJfZ1jmFLkSDDsa8DCJEG3jRrWBZqECX6ip6