Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/26/14 11:02 a.m.

I installed a new NAPA clutch when I did the engine swap on my 87 4Runner. Also did a new pilot and throwout bearing and had the flywheel re-surfaced.

This is the first new clutch its had since I bought it and the first clutch job I've ever done.

Now the throws on the shifter seem real notchy, almost like bad syncros. It wasn't like that with the worn clutch.

Is it because of the new components changing the feel? More pressure on the shaft because of the stronger clutch?

The fork is held on with two thin spring clips. There is only one way to assemble this thing. I imagine that if I put it together wrong it wouldn't work at all.

I can deal with the new feel, I just worry about destroying new parts because of my own ignorance.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/26/14 11:25 a.m.

Can you adjust the clutch cable?

Leafy
Leafy Reader
8/26/14 11:46 a.m.

Sounds like the clutch needs an adjustment or a bleed depending on cable or hydro.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
8/26/14 12:46 p.m.

IIRC it should be hydro, I had an 86 SR5 4x4 regular cab that was hydro, pretty much the same thing as a 4Runner. Also check the oil level in the gearbox, some may have spilled out if you weren't careful with the transmission while you had it out, IIRC with the transfer case attached they definitely aren't the lightest

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/26/14 1:32 p.m.

No spillage. Trans never came out of the truck.

Good call on the adjustment. NAPA said the flywheel needed quite a bit of clean up. I guess I was just used to the old worn out components.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/26/14 1:51 p.m.

Anytime you do a new clutch or alter anything you will have to readjust the free play, hydraulic or mechanical.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ngFsFllCsdcyRMKZokphBwvnFvApFC71Gdza2OaRe43EkeNSkLHIaRsuQfbfG0Yf