1 2 3
bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
1/10/23 10:05 p.m.
z31maniac said:

See I don't get this. You could have just left when they started, sure it may seem rude to just walk away from someone when they are talking to you, but I also think it's rude to waste my time.  

When my ex-wife wanted to get a new car before we were married, we went to a dealership that had the car she wanted in stock. They started playing the "let me ask my manager" game, so when he got up to ask his manager, we stood up and walked out the door. 

THIS!!!!!!

If red flags start flying it's time to pack up and move on down the road.

Getting up and walking out makes them crazy, they will chase you across the lot. (you didn't let them have your car to evaluate for a trade in, did you?)

Why cant they understand that I will not pay $350 for a 3rd brake light kit that the car did not come with?

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/10/23 10:09 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
TR7 said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Needing a notarized bill of sale is becoming a PITA for private party sales now too. It really puts the damper on the "have cash now" part of a sale when you have to go find an available notary/bank anyway. If I was a conspiracy beliving person, I would say this new (for NJ) rule was done at the behest of used car dealers...

Yup.  Was there a ton of title fraud before?  I'd like to know.

This is the rule in NC, and it shocking how much this simple difference between NC and VA makes buying a used car *that* much more of a pain in the ass.

Additionally in NC, there is no such thing as a legal "trip permit" of any sort for a private sale.  The ONLY way you can legally drive a private party car back after purchasing it is to go to the DMV and get tags/title.  Meanwhile in VA (with a VA license) you can go online, put in your license # and a Vin, print out a $3 trip permit, and you are good to go.

This is precisely why the 3 vehicles I've bought in NC have all come home with me (to Virginia) on a trailer. Well, not really. None of the 3 actually ran. But if they had, they'd still have come home on the trailer. :)

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/11/23 7:34 a.m.
buzzboy said:

I told him I was looking to purchase brand new with cash.

Hopefully you know that paying with cash is viewed as a detriment by the dealer. They make additional money by setting up financing.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/23 7:51 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

The van that I bought in NC had to be trailered.  Finding a notary was easy, but getting a temp tag would have meant going to a DVM contractor, and they were scheduling 3 months out.  I like NC well enough, but I wasn't going to crash on the seller's couch for three months.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
1/11/23 8:03 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

The van that I bought in NC had to be trailered.  Finding a notary was easy, but getting a temp tag would have meant going to a DVM contractor, and they were scheduling 3 months out.  I like NC well enough, but I wasn't going to crash on the seller's couch for three months.

Having you crash on my couch for 3 months would be seen as a benefit of the sale 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/11/23 8:40 a.m.

Weird.  here in NC, the DMV itself is a nightmare, but the Taxes & Tags are subcontracted out.  These places (while incredibly sketch), are pretty efficient.  Never have I waited more than like 30 minutes to title & tag a car.  

Meanwhile in VA, before they created the DMV "lite" or whatever its actually called, titling a car was a massive berkeleying ordeal.  Show up an hour before the DMV opens and wait in line and you might get out in 3 hours.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/11/23 12:07 p.m.
ddavidv said:
buzzboy said:

I told him I was looking to purchase brand new with cash.

Hopefully you know that paying with cash is viewed as a detriment by the dealer. They make additional money by setting up financing.

Aside from it seems like a bad way to eliminate tens of thousands of liquidity into a depreciating asset. 

1/11/23 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I need a vacation.  See you tomorrow. laugh

1/11/23 9:53 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Weird.  here in NC, the DMV itself is a nightmare, but the Taxes & Tags are subcontracted out.  These places (while incredibly sketch), are pretty efficient.  Never have I waited more than like 30 minutes to title & tag a car.  

In their defense, this was March of 2021.  They were only accepting appointments, and only allowing X number of people in the building.  It was a zoo.  Fortunately the seller I bought from had a friend at a used car lot who took care of the notary part.  He couldn't do temp tags, hence the trailer.  I would have been OK in NC from what I read.  I think the signed title and/or bill of sale was good for a certain time period, I just wasn't excited at the prospect of VA, MD, and PA knowing that piece of legality.

If the van had been registered, I could have used the seller's plates and mailed them back, but the registration lapsed while he was selling.  Evidently y'all tax vehicles as property, and he (rightfully) wasn't keen on paying for a full year of registration and paying the tax just so I could borrow his tag for 6 hours.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/23 9:57 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

It depends on the day. I think they staff on the razor edge of expected foot traffic, so if somebody calls out at one of the locations, everything falls apart.

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab Reader
1/28/23 2:21 p.m.

Welp, I think the saga is over. Ended up with this 2010 gx460 that we were steered towards by a mechanic friend of ours who does a lot of pre-sale/inspection work for used car dealers after they buy their cars at auction. Seems real nice so far. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/23 5:48 p.m.

In reply to RaabTheSaab :

Now that seems like a really good connection to have. Find out there's a cream puff going up for sale before the dealer knows!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9kMZYURSVzQUBJXbQuclXEASwX6oh0zml6DBnqTktVnqxkmF5BF5J0Cvrky5UJCd