Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/17 5:37 a.m.

In reply to Drunkonunleaded:

Indeed, reading comprehension fails me.

pasta
pasta
4/24/17 12:40 p.m.

I had to wait 24 hours to post this since I lost my old account info so...

I've put 10k miles and 5.5 track-hours on a 225/255 set of these with my 05 330i ZHP sedan, they held up great and I really think that they cannot be beaten for the money. With that said, and this is probably my fault, the front outside tread blocks have feathered heavily and now cause a pretty good vibration at highway speeds.

I'd buy them again. I wouldn't track them again.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/18 6:32 a.m.
WildScotsRacing said:
beans wrote: Tirerack test Looks like the verdict is in! FFI500>COMP2

OK, what I am extrapolating from the test is: the new Indy 500 is one you want if you want to set a "hero lap", the Sport Comp-2 is capable of turning more consistent lap times, due to it's superior mid-corner feedback and steering weight. Or: the Indy 500 is the "Time Trial" tire, the Sport Comp-2 is the extended session track tire..

Old thread, but this is suddenly relevant to my interests as I am contemplating a set of 235/45-17 UHP tires this spring.  I adore the Comp2s (no, really?) but the 500s are compelling.

However, and this is the part that confuses my head-muscle, how can tire construction have such an apparently dramatic effect on steering effort and feel?  I can understand tire SIZE having that effect, but construction?

Vehicle is a 3700lb tank with steering feel that is overlight and numb.  Driver is the embodiment of Leeroy Jenkins.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/18 10:50 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Vehicle is a 3700lb tank with steering feel that is overlight and numb.  Driver is the embodiment of Leeroy Jenkins.

In the driving context, does that mean he dives into corners too quickly with no plan? cheeky

DocV
DocV Reader
1/1/18 1:00 p.m.

Oh-Kay let’s do this. ... LeeroyyyyYYYyy mmmmmmMMmm JENKINS!!!!!

(I am looking at these for an Evo X once the oem Advans wear out — from all I have read will make a good DD tire)

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
1/1/18 3:09 p.m.

I have a few AX friends that like these, I'm probably getting a set for the Abarth in the spring.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/1/18 3:37 p.m.

At least the driver has chicken...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/1/18 4:03 p.m.

I put a set of these on the 944 over the summer.  They seemed pretty sticky, but I only did one track day with them, and I wasn't pushing too hard.  I liked the price, though.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
3/13/18 6:56 p.m.

How are these in the rain?

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
3/13/18 7:07 p.m.
mrhappy said:

How are these in the rain?

Mine were excellent, I drove through some pretty heavy rain with no trouble.

Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
4/5/18 9:18 p.m.

I might be pulling the trigger on a set for the G35. $750 CAD shipped in 235/45r18 is not bad at all. How's the freeway ride quality? Do they do an okay job of absorbing tar snakes?

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/6/18 7:00 a.m.

I put them on the Abarth recently, and decided the WRX needed a street tire for daily use.  So I went with these again.  Dry, wet, heavy rain, so far I love these things.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/6/18 9:56 a.m.

I've has a set on the BRZ now for a little over a year, and I have nothing but good things to say about them. 

They have held up well through a few track days, a full season of auto x, and commuting duty (~35mi/way).  I was able to secure 2nd in DS last season, being beat by an E36 on RE-71's, so I was pretty happy with that.  That said, they are fully at the end of their life track/auto x wise, I think they are completely heat cycling out at this point.  But what more can I really ask for in a street focused tire.

They do work great in the rain still,  since I got to fully try that out on this morning's commute, haha!!

bmxr
bmxr New Reader
8/30/18 9:54 a.m.

In reply to carczar_84 :

Good to hear.  I just picked up a a set of 245/40 17s for my BRZ.  Homestead in two weeks, then Sebring.  Looking forward to seeing how they do compared to the stock setup...

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
8/30/18 10:54 a.m.

I have them on the rx8 and I love them I have not had them out on an autoX course or track day yet but spirited driving and around town manners are great. Real good wet traction too but thats hard to tell because i have no torque. 

sergio
sergio Reader
8/30/18 1:24 p.m.

225/45-18 on my Mazdaspeed 3. Great tire for the money. Had RE-71R before and they are stickier. But they’re noisy, wear like an eraser, and expensive. The Firestones have plenty of grip for spirited street driving, and much better than the Bridgestones in the rain. When my wife’s TL TypeS needs tires it’s getting these Firestones. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
StYi0zpOiuqPAqysmbMyPnSUUr694b6eVFUhJM5fIAVYCNEIrWJ1i3ZYExUPeDqi