David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/27/20 11:24 a.m.
feature_image

New from AEM: the Tru-BoostX Boost Controller Gauge. It’s a boost display and a controller all in one.

Read the rest of the story

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/27/20 12:27 p.m.

Nice. Although I would still like a big red knob on the dashboard that goes from "BOOST" to "MORE BOOST" to "ALL THE BOOST" like 80s race cars.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
2/28/20 11:38 a.m.

I like the idea. I wonder if it's doing any self-learning or you just have to tinker with it through the two buttons until it works. Looks nice and if it works well I'd love to use one the next time i'm modding up another turbo car. 

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 New Reader
2/28/20 4:47 p.m.

I'm always for simplifying things. I'll wait for some feedback 

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
3/1/20 11:36 a.m.

I will pass...for the price its likely you could almost buy a megasquirt and run boost control through that(even if you didn't use it for anything else aside from that you would get far more potential capability) in conjunction with traction control. I assume it will cost at least $250, probably more...never cared for the AEM lightshow anyway. The goal isn't to press buttons to control boost..the goal is to have it done automatically, cutting or increasing boost as needed to maximize traction.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/20 11:52 a.m.
slowbird said:

Nice. Although I would still like a big red knob on the dashboard that goes from "BOOST" to "MORE BOOST" to "ALL THE BOOST" like 80s race cars.

I have a plan to do this with Megasquirt, using a knob on the dash to control boost by blending two maps based off of a 0-5v reference.

Disclaimer:  I have never used MS to control boost before, so I don't know yet what difficulties I will face.

burdickjp
burdickjp GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/4/20 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I don't think you'll need to blend two maps, or even need two maps. It's just a knob that sets the upper limit you'll see. At the lower boost setting you just won't ever touch the upper VE cells. At higher boost settings you will.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 10:07 a.m.

In reply to burdickjp :

I would not want to adjust just the "upper limit" but also the wastegate duty cycle at different throttle positions.  What I would not want is an experience like my last Volvo where it would spool up to max boost at quarter throttle. 

I'm interesting in blending two different boost maps, not VE or lambda targets or ignition timing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oLKJ8wwJHKQotuQuGS0RZATNKmZiEwN8Yf5CmwcBGlYkyzzrgFZzTdcZ2ZJZyPYb