David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/10/18 11:51 a.m.
feature_image

What makes Thermo-Tec’s new Rogue Series heat wraps so special? They’re made from basalt, a continuous filament derived from volcanic rock. It protects as well as traditional fiberglass wrap but ages much more gracefully. The Rogue Series product line includes wraps, clamp-on shields and turbocharger covers.

THERMO-TEC
thermotec.com
(800) 274-8437

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/10/18 3:47 p.m.

Yeah, but does it rot your headers so they fall apart just like every other header wrap?

BlindPirate
BlindPirate New Reader
7/10/18 6:42 p.m.

How do we know how it ages ?

te72
te72 Reader
7/10/18 8:34 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

Can't say I've ever had this issue, despite running wrapped pipes for years. Now, if you didn't have your underside somewhat shielded, I could see salty water from winter conditions perhaps soaking the wrap, and eventually corroding the pipes. That's why they advise you to coat them in silicone spray, I suspect.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/18 11:51 p.m.
te72 said:

In reply to wspohn :

Can't say I've ever had this issue, despite running wrapped pipes for years. Now, if you didn't have your underside somewhat shielded, I could see salty water from winter conditions perhaps soaking the wrap, and eventually corroding the pipes. That's why they advise you to coat them in silicone spray, I suspect.

The heat being held into one side of the thin header tubes on top of the moisture in the air condensing in the wrap after it is shutdown works together to shorten the lifetime for the tubes in some cases.

Coated and or otherwise treated tubing or tubing of fancy alloys can be less susceptible to failures caused be wrapping.

te72
te72 Reader
7/11/18 9:38 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

I understand the phenomenon, just haven't experienced it myself, fortunately. Then again, I live somewhere that's about as dry as a bone, humidity wise. Pretty sure condensation gets wicked into the air before it can form into water droplets haha.

Either that or stainless pipes just take forever and a few hundred years to rust.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/12/18 11:06 a.m.

I do not wrap myself, but I have seen several racers, whose cars are not streetable, with wraps and they have experienced early header failure. And they very rarely are even run in wet conditions, so I'd say that the assertions that wrap wrecks tubing are correct, even with some high alloy steels.  I've seen a friend's new headers fall apart in one season, wrapped.  I ran the same engine in my race car, unwrapped for many years and never had any issues.

Agree with Stefan that ceramic or other coatings tend to minimize this possibility.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
7/12/18 11:12 a.m.

In reply to BlindPirate :

If it ages similar to the material it's made out of, it should last millions of years.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
7/12/18 1:54 p.m.

So I'll ask the question of whether or not this material will "breath" better against the surface it wraps. 

Being in SoAZ no worries about moisture, so I'm not terribly worried about my NB2 exh mani being wrapped.

But I do wonder. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dWQaexGaWkeQw2eJUBEJdIdvaPENsRd4TBp5WuSBihiQs6x40e6ffvIwidIa6yai