Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
2/8/14 11:06 a.m.

Browsing around Autoblog on my lunch break I was reading a short blurb on a new Citroen, mostly because the photo of the doors caught my eye. But I was happily surprised when I saw that this car weighs in under 2200lbs. Its no sports car, but it looks like it could hold four people and their gear comfortably - if you don't mind the styling.

Brandon Turkus said: This is the new Citroën C4 Cactus, and it's what you get when you combine the designs of a Land Rover Range Rover Evoque and a Jeep Cherokee with a hint of woodie wagon. This is a fascinating and thoughtful little package, even if you aren't attracted by its appearance. The Airbump system (those funny bumps on the doors designed to protect the sheetmetal from dings), which was originally shown on the Cactus Concept, is back for the production model, and will be available in four different colors. Citroën is pushing the customization angle as well, offering ten paint options matched with three different interior treatments. Compared to the last C4, this car is 440 pounds lighter, tipping the scales at a scarcely believable 2,127 pounds. That is ridiculously light for any modern car, let alone a five-place crossover. Citroën cites a lightweight platform, an aluminum hood and other weight-saving tricks as contributing factors to this impressive figure. This is not some microcar, either – with a 102.3-inch wheelbase, its axles are only two inches closer together than a Ford Focus, though it's nearly seven inches shorter than the Blue Oval's hatchback overall. Key rivals are expected to include the Nissan Juke and Renault Captur.
DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
2/8/14 1:05 p.m.

Four door, 2200 lb. , hatchback.......I'm in. That's just the kind of vehicle I've always liked. I can even take that styling, aside from the door bumpers.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/8/14 1:46 p.m.

Spring/damper swap to drop it a couple inches, remove the roof rails, a wheel swap and some other major color and I think it'd look decent. I'm okay with the door bumpers.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/8/14 1:50 p.m.

i want my door bumper rubber in faux wood grain print

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/14 4:44 p.m.

If only such a vehicle were available stateside I bet it would sell in INSANE volume.

To bad 3 companies don't make cars within 100lbs of that.
Toyota Yaris, Mitsubishi Mirage, and Mazda 2 all are sub 2300.

JAhmed
JAhmed New Reader
2/8/14 4:47 p.m.

Interesting. The front end looks like the designers got some inspiration from the Juke and the new Cherokee...

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
2/8/14 5:04 p.m.

Looks like it would make a great city car in the US. Lots of ground clearance, Citroen suspension, relatively high profile tires, dent resistant, presumably fairly efficient and reasonably quick.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
2/8/14 5:05 p.m.
JAhmed wrote: Interesting. The front end looks like the designers got some inspiration from the Juke and the new Cherokee...

But it looks much better than either one of those.

I'm not saying I'd get in line to buy one, but it sure is intriguing. I'd like to see one up close.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/8/14 6:03 p.m.

My Mirage is sub 2k#, title says 1975#.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/8/14 6:29 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
JAhmed wrote: Interesting. The front end looks like the designers got some inspiration from the Juke and the new Cherokee...
But it looks much better than either one of those.

words that have rarely been spoken about a Citroen....

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/8/14 6:49 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: My Mirage is sub 2k#, title says 1975#.

Yeah but this one doesn't look nearly as bad tin can like

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
2/8/14 10:39 p.m.
nocones wrote: If only such a vehicle were available stateside I bet it would sell in INSANE volume. To bad 3 companies don't make cars within 100lbs of that. Toyota Yaris, Mitsubishi Mirage, and Mazda 2 all are sub 2300.

no, they would not sell "insane" amounts of them. well, not unless they added 500 pounds of things like half a dozen heated/refrigerated cup holders, 12 speaker sound systems, and 4 layers of sound deadener..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qvHM2LJwHbPgUtNWOBHklygWpqNWZ1DuBlKnBvy8mNX8GwCVEypN63m9SU8PGvi3