1 2
wagonfanatic
wagonfanatic New Reader
1/26/12 2:53 p.m.

BMW just unveiled a new, tri-turbo diesel M-division wagon

http://velocityresource.com/BMWM550dxDriveTouring.aspx

I'm obsessed....just can't help myself. There is just something about a high-performance, diesel wagon that makes all kinds of sense.

Has anyone seen a diesel BMW swap in the US? I wish I could do this to my E46...

chuckles
chuckles Reader
1/26/12 3:46 p.m.

Whoa! Yes, indeed. Perhaps it will be affordable.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/26/12 3:47 p.m.

If it is rated for towing 5,000 lbs while getting 25 mpg it could be perfect.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 3:50 p.m.

WOW! Wagon lust for sure.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 4:00 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: If it is rated for towing 5,000 lbs while getting 25 mpg it could be perfect.

Are you really in the market for an M car?

I like it. Not in white, but I like it. Although ///M550d is one hell of a long and ugly moniker.

Keith
1/26/12 4:01 p.m.
chuckles wrote: Whoa! Yes, indeed. Perhaps it will be affordable.

Depends, is the move to Europe considered part of the cost of the car? Not for the US

jrw1621 wrote: If it is rated for towing 5,000 lbs while getting 25 mpg it could be perfect.

Are you really in the market for an M car?

I like it. Not in white, but I like it. Although ///M550d is one hell of a long and ugly moniker.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/26/12 4:06 p.m.

I really like the new 5er. They're not importing them, but a new diesel wagon would be an awesome replacement for my wife's E39. This M car, though... I'm pretty sure I could could buy a nice Ferrari 360 for less.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/26/12 4:08 p.m.
Keith wrote: Although ///M550d is one hell of a long and ugly moniker.

As opposed to the Mazda Mazda3 Sport SkyActiv or the Mazda MX-5 Miata Power Retractable Hardtop or the Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition or the Ford Mustang Cobra SVT Shelby GT500 or the Porsche Carrera S4 Targa GTS Black Edition RS 4.0 GT3?

Although I'll concede that all alphanumeric names without an X are stupid. (So AMX and RX7 get a pass, but everything else can suck it).

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/26/12 4:18 p.m.

no

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
1/26/12 4:20 p.m.

Pretty - but irrelevant to me until some depreciation kicks in or something spectacularly dramatic happens on the income front.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
1/26/12 4:25 p.m.

Pretty, but since they aren't for Americans...

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/26/12 4:33 p.m.

I like...and possibly will have one at my Chateau in Cannes.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/26/12 4:35 p.m.

Needs x-drive with that much torques. I think the triple turbo setup is highly unnecessary though, could you imagine working on it?

Keith
1/26/12 5:17 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Keith wrote: Although ///M550d is one hell of a long and ugly moniker.
As opposed to the Mazda Mazda3 Sport SkyActiv or the Mazda MX-5 Miata Power Retractable Hardtop or the Mazda MX-5 Miata M-Edition or the Ford Mustang Cobra SVT Shelby GT500 or the Porsche Carrera S4 Targa GTS Black Edition RS 4.0 GT3? Although I'll concede that all alphanumeric names without an X are stupid. (So AMX and RX7 get a pass, but everything else can suck it).

At least they never put "Mazda MX-5 Miata Power Retractable Hardtop" on the back of the car as one badge

I'm pretty sure you made that last one up. But with the number of special edition 911s, I'm not 100% sure.

I need to look at a plumbing diagram for this engine. Three turbos is an oddball. Twins feeding one big one for high-response compound boost, maybe?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
1/26/12 8:55 p.m.

oh man. wagon, bmw, and awesome all in one. love it

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/26/12 9:06 p.m.
Keith wrote: I need to look at a plumbing diagram for this engine. Three turbos is an oddball. Twins feeding one big one for high-response compound boost, maybe?

Yeah, that would be my guess as well. Will be interesting to see some reviews to know if the Achilles heel of the narrow powerband is beaten with that car. I would expect so if they are willing to call it an M

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/26/12 9:07 p.m.

Sounds like a camera

FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/26/12 9:34 p.m.

It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine.

O-62 in 4.9 for the touring 4.7 for the sedan, and in UK numbers 44.1 mpg highway and 44.7 respectively

Oh yeah!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/26/12 9:39 p.m.

Greatest car ever.... No way in hell.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/26/12 10:06 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Yeah, that would be my guess as well. Will be interesting to see some reviews to know if the Achilles heel of the narrow powerband is beaten with that car. I would expect so if they are willing to call it an M

I would assume this is the same setup they've been developing at Dakar the past couple of years in the X3's and then the new MINI's. Probably lots of reading material available if you are so inclined...

Keith
1/26/12 10:22 p.m.

Oh, it's a straight six. For some reason I thought it was a V8 like the M5. Now triple turbos make more sense - three small ones will have greater response.

Here, you can see everything in this engine bay shot!

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/26/12 10:27 p.m.
Keith wrote: Oh, it's a straight six. For some reason I thought it was a V8 like the M5. Now triple turbos make more sense - three small ones will have greater response.

Everything I've read on it says two smaller turbos and on large one, but, still, it is done that way in the name of responsiveness.

And yes, it's nice to be able to pop the hood and see everything...

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/27/12 1:11 a.m.
Keith wrote: Here, you can see everything in this engine bay shot!

Hey now, I feel cheated!

RossD
RossD SuperDork
1/27/12 7:28 a.m.

My guess would be in the $60-70k.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/27/12 9:19 a.m.

X5//M starts at $88K

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners