1 2
RossD
RossD SuperDork
1/27/12 9:23 a.m.

In reply to nderwater:

So I was way off.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/27/12 10:03 a.m.

As much as I love BMW M cars, the prices some of them command when new are just silly. Who's buying these things when $90K for an X5M or X6M will also get you behind the wheel of an Aston Martin DB9 with under 5,000 miles, a two year old Audi R8, a nice Ferrari 360 or 575M? Or if you need four doors, that $90K buy you a twin-turbo W12-powered Bentley Continental Flying Spur or even an Arnage.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
1/27/12 10:32 a.m.

Can we get the 550i Wagon here in the states, even better in a manual. Because wif we could I would be very very tempted.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/12 10:34 a.m.

Some people buy new cars, some people buy used. That's just how it works. If you judge every new car against what can be bought used for the same money, then they all look pretty silly.

Unless it's a Ferrari. Which is cheaper to buy new.

pigeon
pigeon SuperDork
1/27/12 10:51 a.m.

In reply to nderwater:

Businessmen who have their companies lease them for 2 years then rinse and repeat with something different. Buying/selling used cars is way harder to turn into a tax write off.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/27/12 11:29 a.m.

Can I please has a job with a company that leases M cars?!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/12 11:34 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Can I please has a job with a company that leases M cars?!

Sure. It's called self-employment usually.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/12 11:34 a.m.
nderwater wrote: As much as I love BMW M cars, the prices some of them command when new are just silly. Who's buying these things when $90K for an X5M or X6M will also get you behind the wheel of an Aston Martin DB9 with under 5,000 miles, a two year old Audi R8, a nice Ferrari 360 or 575M? Or if you need four doors, that $90K buy you a twin-turbo W12-powered Bentley Continental Flying Spur or even an Arnage.

Two year old R8's are only $90k? I love those cars.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/27/12 11:45 a.m.

That's what they're starting at these days:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=313587766
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=306274757

Hell of a lot more presence than a new 911, that's for sure.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
1/27/12 11:47 a.m.
nderwater wrote: As much as I love BMW M cars, the prices some of them command when new are just silly. Who's buying these things when $90K for an X5M or X6M will also get you behind the wheel of an Aston Martin DB9 with under 5,000 miles, a two year old Audi R8, a nice Ferrari 360 or 575M? Or if you need four doors, that $90K buy you a twin-turbo W12-powered Bentley Continental Flying Spur or even an Arnage.

I see 4 door Bentley's in the 60K region now.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/27/12 11:49 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Can we get the 550i Wagon here in the states, even better in a manual. Because wif we could I would be very very tempted.

The only wagon BMW offers here these days is the 328i. What we get instead is the abomination that is the 5 Series Gran Tourismo hatchback.

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/27/12 11:50 a.m.

wearymicrobe - You've got a line on wholesale cars, right? One of these days I'm going to have make a trip out to San Diego...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
1/27/12 12:03 p.m.
nderwater wrote: wearymicrobe - You've got a line on wholesale cars, right? One of these days I'm going to have make a trip out to San Diego...

I don't; but I tend to buy at wholesale anyway through hook or crook. I spent a few years flipping cars on the side and spend most of my actual working day buying high dollar stuff used all across the world. I also still do some pawn on the side if I get a call, my wife always tells the story about how someone tried to sell me a Diablo at 2 in the morning for 65% open market price.

I find something that I want,, IE a flying spur and then find the cheapest cleanest example I can from someone who is desperate. Never get exactly what I want in terms of color or options but always come out ahead. Often times I break even but I still write off 10's of thousands in sales tax/registration fees. Best year I think I spent ~35K in sales tax at the DMV alone.

I do my best when I pick something with a following like my viper. Bought it with 3K miles on it from a dealer who had it on the lot for 20 months, drove it ~12K miles for a year. Sold it out of state to someone who had to have a 06 red for exactly what I paid + the tax. Came out to I think like 1K for me to drive the car for the year.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
1/27/12 1:39 p.m.

Supposedly, the M "brand" will soon cover a whole range of diesel powered vehicles at BMW, not just this wagon.

With that in mind, BMW currently only produces inline 4 and inline 6 diesel engines. I would guess that the addition of 2 and 3 turbos to the current engines means they won't be producing a V8 diesel anytime soon...if ever.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/27/12 1:44 p.m.
integraguy wrote: they won't be producing a V8 diesel anytime soon...if ever.

Why would they? They can make 300hp and 500ftpnds out of 3L inline 6 td, why need a V8? On top of that, I'd think a V8 TD would be huge and heavy.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
1/27/12 2:02 p.m.
integraguy wrote: Supposedly, the M "brand" will soon cover a whole range of diesel powered vehicles at BMW, not just this wagon.

They are also talking about releasing "M Lite". Cars that look like the M versions with little tweaks to the base car motors but selling them as real M cars.

wagonfanatic
wagonfanatic New Reader
1/27/12 2:21 p.m.

So yes, no doubt, she's expensive...and you're right, that doesn't cover the cost of moving to Europe

And as others have said, 40+ MPG highway is excellent for having 500+ lb-ft of torque and weighing over 3500 lbs!

I'm sure it'll be able to tow 5,000 lbs too

Just wish it came in a 6-speed manual...

But lets be honest, is there any other car like it in the world?

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/27/12 2:27 p.m.

Well, Porsche just introduced a Panamera diesel, and it will no doubt eventually be followed by a hi-po version. Audi, Merc and Cadillac all have big horsepower station wagons, but their diesel powered siblings are slower. So there really isn't another car exactly like it that I can think of... for the moment. But even Bentley is bringing a big diesel to market soon.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/12 2:28 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
integraguy wrote: Supposedly, the M "brand" will soon cover a whole range of diesel powered vehicles at BMW, not just this wagon.
They are also talking about releasing "M Lite". Cars that look like the M versions with little tweaks to the base car motors but selling them as real M cars.

They can call them m cars

Hmm, a 118d with the 1M body on it. Now that would be funny.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/12 2:47 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: They are also talking about releasing "M Lite". Cars that look like the M versions with little tweaks to the base car motors but selling them as real M cars.

Sounds like the "S-line" Audi cars. Or, for that matter, the old "M-technic" BMWs.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/12 2:50 p.m.
nderwater wrote: That's what they're starting at these days: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=313587766 http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=306274757 Hell of a lot more presence than a new 911, that's for sure.

Wow. Hopefully another 2 years or so will put them in the $60s. I love those things.

And since we're talking diesels and Audi R cars, how about this? A diesel version! I saw this car at Sebring a few years ago and it's gorgeous.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
1/27/12 3:00 p.m.
Keith wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote:
integraguy wrote: Supposedly, the M "brand" will soon cover a whole range of diesel powered vehicles at BMW, not just this wagon.
They are also talking about releasing "M Lite". Cars that look like the M versions with little tweaks to the base car motors but selling them as real M cars.
They can call them m cars Hmm, a 118d with the 1M body on it. Now that would be funny.

That's actually one they were talking about. EKK

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/27/12 3:02 p.m.

The only thing that I can think of recently is the Audi Q7 V12 diesel. 500hp/738tq.

But, then again, we don't get those either.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
SWsosXVTFYG6cIbkQxVFsxOzQAgqLCBStQI5fUOd9HzXAVlvfHQ3STB5EOnSYBKz