1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/30/22 9:59 p.m.

As for the twins, the STi brakes screw up the balance. Stock brake setup with pass, fluid, cooling is plenty enough. 

But if you actually track a lot the AP Sprint kit ends up being cheaper in the run, as well as knocking 20lbs off the nose of the car.

I ordered my BRZ exactly hot I wanted it. Red, limited, STi shifter. I paid MSRP. When they tried to add a $1k markup I stood and shook the salesmans hand and said I refused to lay a markup. They quickly removed it when they saw they had someone ready to put down a non-refundable deposit.

The negative to that, I order April 26th, got the car Sept 3rd. Which wasn't a problem for me since my fiance and I had already been sharing a car for more than a year since we both work from home.

The new engine is slightly underrated. Based on Dyno pulls and trap speeds in the 1/4, they are more like 240-245 ho at the crank and the torque and midrange are dramatically improved. 

Not a problem to short shift at 4k or just more and have no problem with onramps/traffic.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/23 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I have heard of head/timing issues with the early high feature engines ( up to 2011) but after that is 'fixed'. The 2016+ 335hp engine is a different or further improved animal. I haven't heard of failures, but would certainly like to hear more data. The motor gets good reviews.

The earlier turbo engines had a lot of piston issues, not sure about the later stuff.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/1/23 3:44 p.m.

Ive been in all 3. I will say the GR86 uses its interior room better. I had more room in the GR and better outward visibility, even given its size. The blind spots and small interior space didnt even bother me in the camaro but it was the first thing i noticed when I got in a GR86.

Ive seen more reliability problems with the ford 2.3 eco, compared to the GM 2.0, the GM 2.0 isnt flawless but from my experience its also more reliable than the 3.6. Among the two domestics a 2.0T Camaro would be my choice, but really Id have to go used and do 1LE.

I am a big fan of the GR86, but Im still too worried about the silicone thing for track use, but willing to have my mind changed if we dont here anything else about it over the next few years.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/23 11:19 a.m.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Genesis kept their coupe, and had an N-Version. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/2/23 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

The silicone thing is already not being talked about anymore. And hasn't for a while. 

SEADave
SEADave Dork
1/2/23 10:55 p.m.

The redesigned 2024 Mustang (S650) won't be offered with a manual transmission and the Ecoboost 2.3.  Apparently the take rate for the current manual Ecoboost was only 10%.   The only way to get a manual will be with a V8.   Dying breed.   

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/23 10:59 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to Opti :

The silicone thing is already not being talked about anymore. And hasn't for a while. 

Good friend of mine popped the motor in his at the SCCA event in Vegas just a couple of weeks ago. Dollars to donuts it's silicone in the pickup once they get it back to Oregon to diagnose. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/2/23 11:08 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I saw a thread in the GR86 subreddit like a week ago, made me do some reading. Seemed like a lot of people are paying shops to pull pans and then making toy/subaru pay to fix it when they find restriction, and a lot of people think its a problem but dont care because they are still under warranty, and some people dont think its a problem, because we arent seeing failures. Saw some recommendations that for track use, pull it off and inspect it and reapply less.

It still worries me, i get it if it doesnt worry you. I hope it ends up being a nothing burger because I really liked my experience with one.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/2/23 11:29 p.m.

Literally first thing I saw when I opened FB

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/2/23 11:53 p.m.
Javelin said:
z31maniac said:

In reply to Opti :

Good friend of mine popped the motor in his at the SCCA event in Vegas just a couple of weeks ago. Dollars to donuts it's silicone in the pickup once they get it back to Oregon to diagnose. 

Since we can only see what's posted on the forums and social media, so far it's well under 50 failures with 10k+ cars sold. 

I'm not particularly worried about it, but I'm still going to talk to the GM and Service manager at my dealership about pulling the pan when I hit 1k miles to check it. 

But as I've mentioned in other threads, then you have to hope that the tech who puts the pan back on does a better job of applying sealant than the original robot did. This was the cause of a lot of failures in the 2013 cars with the valve spring recall. 

Javelin, do you know what his build date is? So far it seems like almost all of the reported failures or excess RTV had 11/21-12/21 build dates. Mine is a 7/22 build date.

Which makes me wonder if it was a bad batch of RTV? A machine that went out of calibration that has been corrected? 

SEADave
SEADave Dork
1/2/23 11:54 p.m.

From when I first heard about the BRZ/FRS I thought it was a shame that in a Toyota/Subaru joint project you would have Subaru provide the engine.  Not that Toyota hasn't had their own issues or that Subaru is terrible or anything, but personally I would find it a lot more appealing with a Toyota inline engine.  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/3/23 7:16 a.m.

Subaru paid to re-seal my pan.  I did have to pay them the labor to remove it but once they realized it had RTV partially blocking the pick up the took care of it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/3/23 10:39 a.m.
SEADave said:

From when I first heard about the BRZ/FRS I thought it was a shame that in a Toyota/Subaru joint project you would have Subaru provide the engine.  Not that Toyota hasn't had their own issues or that Subaru is terrible or anything, but personally I would find it a lot more appealing with a Toyota inline engine.  

Yeah that was pretty much my thought when the original was announced.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bJnzXR03RLMPch7FQplXVtlQ6ovgJA3QwC7GODQl8f2ngDYrCAQOD0xr8BwtGZ99