David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/3/13 2:42 p.m.

See the photos yet? Wow. Not sure if the production car will sit that low, but gotta say that it looks pretty cool.

By the way, I just drove the six-speed manual Mazda6. Nicely done.

David S. Wallens
7/3/13 2:43 p.m.

And here, Mazda's photos: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehicleCode=M3N

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
7/3/13 3:01 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens: Still looking for the Mazda6 diesel....

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/3/13 3:01 p.m.

Taillights are a little boring (that is one area that i think the original 3 got right, in the context of it's time period), but the rest of it looks great.

The word 'relief' comes to mind, after watching what mazda did to some of my favorite models with the last major restyles..

David S. Wallens
7/3/13 3:05 p.m.

You know, the taillights don't bug me. I think the front 3/4 view is strong. Can't wait to see it in person. Hopefully it sits that nicely.

By the way, the gas Mazda6 is rated at like 37 mpg on the highway with the manual--not bad for what I'd call a larger car.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
7/3/13 3:10 p.m.

2014 will see me in a new car (replace 2011 Hyundai Elantra-Touring); the 3 and the 6 are on my list...as is Jetta (new 1.8T), GLI, and Impreza...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/3/13 3:18 p.m.

REPOST!!!!!

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/2014-mazda-3/66201/page1/

I like it. I showed SWMBO and she really liked it (she drives a 2010 3 sedan). That means I can get one someday.

I want a diesel hatch with a stick and Mazdaspeed bits. Yeah, it's a pipe dream, but with VW confirming that they are bringing the GTD here, Mazda should one-up them by using what they have learned in the Skyactiv Diesel 6 they have been winning races with lately and build a performance 3 with that drivetrain. I know I'm not the only one who would jump at the chance to have something fun and fast that gets ludicrously good gas mileage.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/3/13 3:19 p.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2:

you should really take a look at the Cruze. It has a lot to offer considering the other options you sposted

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/3/13 3:20 p.m.

Too bad the interior is so meh... I don't find the popup screen in the middle of the dash appealing at all. Besides that, strong work from the Mazda clan....

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
7/3/13 3:30 p.m.

we've had a 3 and liked it. I think this one looks GREAT from all directions. My wife likes it too. Assuming it still drives good, Mazda may have knocked it out of the park here.

Too bad we're not in the market for this kind of car anymore.

Mazda6 wagon with 6MT and we'll think about trading in the SUV though.....

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/13 3:33 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Taillights are a little boring (that is one area that i think the original 3 got right, in the context of it's time period), but the rest of it looks great. The word 'relief' comes to mind, after watching what mazda did to some of my favorite models with the last major restyles..

I'll take boring over ugly any day. Most new cars get uglier each restyle, the new 3 looks ok.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/3/13 3:56 p.m.

I like it!

It seems Mazda is waking up from it's styling nightmare. This new 3 and the new 6 look great to my eyes.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/3/13 4:20 p.m.
I'll take boring over ugly any day.

Hah, true that! I dont think the car is boring, just one part of it that covers like 3% of the exterior..

It seems Mazda is waking up from it's styling nightmare. This new 3 and the new 6 look great to my eyes.

Praise be to whomever it may concern!!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/3/13 5:58 p.m.

Our auto '14 maz6 is averaging just over 30mpg in mixed driving- 3mpg better than the Mini S it replaced. And it's a joy to live with daily. I really can't say enough good things about the car.

Interestingly, it has a nearly complete belly pan. I wonder if the three will too. It sure looks fabulous.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
7/3/13 6:00 p.m.

Is the 6 going to come in hatch or wagon format any time soon?

It seems like both the 6 and upcoming 3 should help Mazda's fortunes.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/3/13 6:09 p.m.

Its got to be better than the last one.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/13 6:20 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Is the 6 going to come in hatch or wagon format any time soon? It seems like both the 6 and upcoming 3 should help Mazda's fortunes.

The 6 wagon is confirmed as coming to the USA.

I sent Mazda USA a Change.org petition with over 500 signatures for a Sky-D version. So far, no response.

(Pssssst... GRM, help a brother out?)

Also, the 6 and CX-5 are both kicking butt for Mazda, they are doing very well month-over-month right now and the lines are churning out at maximum. Hopefully the new deal with Alfa will help as well.

Mazda is quickly becoming the best full line there is. I'd buy nearly everything they make right now (Mazda2, new Mazda3, Mazda6, Miata, CX-5, Mazda5). They just need to get the CX-7/9 thing worked out, SkyActiv the 5, and get that new Miata here, then I literally wouldn't have a clue which Mazda to buy.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/3/13 6:31 p.m.

While I was way the dealer the other day he said the cx-5 was the fastest turning car in the US right now, he also said they (this dealer) have sold more 2014 6 already than they sold all of last year. Mazda has a good thing going and I hope they capitalize on it. From being on the cusp with Mitsubishi to where they are now is unbelievable.

David S. Wallens
7/3/13 6:33 p.m.

If the 3 is as nice as this 6 then, yeah, tough call.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/13 6:33 p.m.

Just clicked over 10k miles on our '14 CX-5, and I'm still thrilled with it. Mazda put a lot of thought into the interior design. It LOOKs a lot more upmarket than it is. That said, there are few areas where the economy car roots have shown. Floor carpeting is suuuper cheap. But other interior surfaces are upscale for the market segment. Mazda did a brillant job of maximizing the feel of the car while still hitting an ROI.

Weathertech mats are a must, though. Beach sand? Forget it...not coming out of that carpet.

Also, the rear fender liners are carpeted to reduce noise. Interested to see how long it lasts.

The mechanical layout of the engine bay is open and simple. Easy to service.

I'm a convert. I might just be in line for a Mazdaspeed 3.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/13 6:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: If the 3 is as nice as this 6 then, yeah, tough call.
Javelin wrote: The 6 wagon is confirmed as coming to the USA. I sent Mazda USA a Change.org petition with over 500 signatures for a Sky-D version. So far, no response. (Pssssst... GRM, help a brother out?)
motomad1
motomad1 New Reader
7/3/13 7:25 p.m.

I do like the new swoopey lines and even tho the Insane Clown Posse fascia has improved it could still use some help. Something that large on a small car needs to be broken up. I own a 2009 and the grill was perfect. Break it up, don't have it so dominant.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
7/3/13 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

That is some of the best news I have heard in a long while. I will happily take a gas wagon if they won't let me have a diesel.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/3/13 8:23 p.m.

That thing looks frickin awesome

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
7/3/13 8:26 p.m.

Javelin I have not heard the wagon was coming state side anywhere else. Bummer now it makes me less likely to want a D late this year lol

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IGnnzGViuEQwkpSDkvGsNhJOYsYUdgeyHp7p8oftWOQmEYZgxlFmuNSScnXdVOPZ