1 2
atotten
atotten
2/22/10 9:56 a.m.

Hello, I just joined after being exposed to some really cool people and rides that I saw while attending the 24 hours of Daytona race a few weeks back. GRM had a tent set up and a 1969 camaro caught my eye. I own a 69 firebird that I dream of transforming into a track car so I had some questions for the owner but never actually had a chance to catch up with him. Would anyone happen to know who that car belongs to? I would assume they are a member here. Thanks for any help.

Also, I just signed up for my first track day at Watkins Glen. It's a two day event and I'm really psyched about it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/10 9:58 a.m.

Hello, and enjoy your track day!

atotten
atotten New Reader
2/22/10 10:00 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Thanks, I just found the owner of that camaro (happens to be a '68) - Steve Chryssos

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/10 10:09 a.m.

Welcome!

While it wasn't the car you saw, you should seek out this forum member (Rad_Capz). He has an older Firebird that is a serious track car and stunning.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/10 10:17 a.m.

Welcome to the dark side.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/22/10 10:37 a.m.

I was also at the Daytona and that Camaro was beautiful, the owner is a new GRM staffer.

bring yours next year.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Ad Sales
2/22/10 10:52 a.m.

Hi Atotten, Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to email or call some time. What group will you run with at the Glen?

And thanks for the kind words. We do a pretty good job of using the car in every driving environment including street, road race, autocross, and drag.

dmidknight
dmidknight New Reader
2/22/10 11:16 a.m.

Damn that's cool. Like the mini front spoiler with the logo!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/22/10 11:31 a.m.

he he he fresh meat

Lol just kidding. Welcome to the board, this is a really stellar group. I like the wheels on your 'bird, but needs moar sidepipe!

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
2/22/10 11:43 a.m.

Run while you still can!

Uh, I mean, welcome. You won't notice the changes at first. One day you'll find yourself looking for a Miata on ebay. The next you'll develop a strange urge to build a spray booth in your bathroom. Before you know it you'll have swapped that V8 in a Power Wheels, and by then its too late.

Enjoy the ride!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/10 12:12 p.m.
GI_Drewsifer wrote: Run while you still can! Uh, I mean, welcome. You won't notice the changes at first. One day you'll find yourself looking for a Miata on ebay. The next you'll develop a strange urge to build a spray booth in your bathroom. Before you know it you'll have swapped that V8 in a Power Wheels, and by then its too late. Enjoy the ride!

What? I don't know what you're talkin....... (looks around room) Uh, never mind!

Lets welcome the new guy! Yeah, that's it. Welcome the new guy!

cxhb
cxhb Reader
2/22/10 1:38 p.m.

daaaaang... both those cars are sexy. Anyone want to trade for a civic? lol I need torque in my life...

Big props to the builders of both of those cars...

And of course, Welcome atotten!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/22/10 1:42 p.m.
cxhb wrote: daaaaang... both those cars are sexy. Anyone want to trade for a civic? lol I need torque in my life...

That's what turbos are for

...says the owner of vehicles exclusively powered by Ford smallblocks

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/22/10 1:49 p.m.

Steve, why are three corners of your hood turned up?

Hi Newbie, you'll fit in just fine.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
2/22/10 1:52 p.m.

That's the engine trying to escape.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Ad Sales
2/22/10 2:04 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver: That's odd. Most people wanna know why I have an AAR 'cuda stripe. Because I'm going SO FAST that the the cute little carbon fiber molecules are cowering in fear. It's shrinkage.

No. Sorry, that's not it. I have since installed hood pins.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/22/10 2:16 p.m.

No, I like the 'Cuda stripes. If the car was like most others here I would not have noticed, but your paint is so nice the hood just stands out.

Yeah, it's shrinkage.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/10 2:37 p.m.

Funny, it didn't look that cold....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/10 3:15 p.m.

It's always cold in New York.

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
2/22/10 3:31 p.m.

Welcome to all new Forum members!!!!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/22/10 4:18 p.m.

Bottomless pit of good (Mostly) info. Advise on everything from Miata crankshaft problems to girlfriends. Free legal advise. Source for car deals. Newfound place to waste many hours that could have been productive. Stupid questions will not get you flamed. Enjoy, we are family here.

atotten
atotten New Reader
2/22/10 4:33 p.m.

wow, thanks for all the warm welcomes. I respect the miata for what it is but just not for me (flame suit on). That camaro looks good in the pics but you gotta see that thing in person, it's awesome. Do the steering wheel paddle shifters work? I was most impressed by the paint and how well it's kept, my '69 bird has a near flawless paint job on it and I always assumed traking it would lead to getting banged up, your camaro gave me inspiration that it can still look good and do what it was meant to do (that is other than quarter mile). I'm mainly interested in what/where and how much (unless that's stepping over the line) your suspension and brakes put you in the hole. Im in northern NJ so perhaps we'll cross paths again. I'm not sure what class I'll run at Watkins-is there a newbie class? I've been to one track day, it was in Sweden with a buddy who belongs to the Alfa Romeo club and he let me drive his car, I was hooked since then but just never got around to signing up locally. I'll be taking the 4000lb beast (M5) and so far have five of us heading up as well (an '05 CTS-V, an '07 parnelli jones mustang, a mid 80's five litre mustang and an all wheel drive E30 bmw). We're all going to enter in the newbie division and it's a two day event, psyched doesn't quite explain it but I'm sure you all understand. The accomodations you all had set up at the Rolex was second to none and becuase of it you've got a new member.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
2/22/10 5:12 p.m.
atotten wrote: The accomodations you all had set up at the Rolex was second to none and becuase of it you've got a new member.

Membership-schmembership, did you subscribe yet?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/22/10 5:57 p.m.

I saw the paddle shifter too, I was advised it is operational

atotten
atotten New Reader
2/22/10 6:48 p.m.

...wipes drool off chin....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E5SOfC38g9yMlegTEkMJ1bEZrC04ODUaY9hQU6SdnEkSTyDJcIdPmln7WPQgiM9r