1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
2/2/15 1:33 p.m.
feature_image

As the MX-5 has always been since its launch in 1990, the 2016 rendition is engineered to focus on saving weight to provide both the most dynamic, iconic driving experience possible, and improved fuel efficiency and safety. As Mazda has already announced, the MX-5 will be available for the U.S. market with a 2.0-liter engine. The estimated output of this …

Read the rest of the story

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/15 1:48 p.m.

The curb weight is....?

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/2/15 1:54 p.m.

I too wonder about curb weight. So I went "Read the rest of the story" & "View original news post." In each instance I got the 404 message.

As instructed, I'm asking you to update your link so it goes someplace.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
2/2/15 2:17 p.m.

2015 Mazda 3 with the 2.0 direct injected 4 will get 30 city and 40 highway. Hopefully the new Miata will be equally efficient.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 2:19 p.m.

That works out to 2200-2300lbs vs. an NC. They were clever not to make any dazzling weight promises earlier on - there was some early talk of it weighing less than an NA, but no numbers. On the other hand, the Toyobaru concept's weight in GT5 was listed as 2100lbs...

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/2/15 2:27 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:You're correct. The Mazda 3 actually does turn that fuel mileage in real life. I don't recall ever buying another car that delivered the gas mileage the sticker said it would.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/15 2:31 p.m.

mmm mmm mmm mmm. It really is just a matter of time before I get a miata, isn't it?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/15 3:40 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: That works out to 2200-2300lbs vs. an NC. They were clever not to make any dazzling weight promises earlier on - there was some early talk of it weighing less than an NA, but no numbers. On the other hand, the Toyobaru concept's weight in GT5 was listed as 2100lbs...

2200 is less than an NA -- a '97 at least.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/2/15 3:41 p.m.

155hp from a 2.0? I see no work on that engine has been done at all. Thems early 90s numbers.

So Mazda is releasing an engine in a performance orientated vehicle that is inferior(or equal) in performance to SR20DE engines from 1991.

I thought DI allowed for higher compression ratio hence more performance? Or did they just dump a commuter car engine in and call it a day? Was hoping more aggressive looks meant more aggressive motor.

edit: Estimated output.... here's hoping that they just don't dump a Mazda 3 engine in.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
2/2/15 3:52 p.m.

155hp? Given the 2014 spec's out a 167hp 2.0..... That damn thing should be at least 200hp....

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/2/15 3:55 p.m.

Am I the only one here not sold on the new Miata. It looks like a Z4 to me, but I'll wait until I see one in person.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/2/15 3:57 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: 155hp? Given the 2014 spec's out a 167hp 2.0..... That damn thing should be at least 200hp....

Yes, it makes no sense. I imagine it have 0 top end and/or low revs like 6000rpm. Not very sporting at all.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
2/2/15 3:58 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: It looks like a Z4 to me, but I'll wait until I see one in person.

That's the new Mustang....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
2/2/15 4:02 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: 155hp? Given the 2014 spec's out a 167hp 2.0..... That damn thing should be at least 200hp....
Yes, it makes no sense. I imagine it have 0 top end and/or low revs like 6000rpm. Not very sporting at all.

If it gets 40mpg and has a fairly strong midrange then it will be perfect for the overwhelming majority of people that buy Miatas new. There is a significant disconnect between people that buy them new and those that buy them at 15+ years old to race.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/2/15 4:09 p.m.
kanaric wrote: Or did they just dump a commuter car engine in and call it a day?

Just like the original?

kanaric
kanaric Dork
2/2/15 4:35 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
kanaric wrote: Or did they just dump a commuter car engine in and call it a day?
Just like the original?

Well back then their DOHC engine at 1.6l and 1.8 were more than just regular commuter car engines. They were not base engines in those cars that they were in, they were the more performance orientated engine.

This engine is the standard run of the mill Mazda 323 engine. If this were 1991 it would be SOHC even. Making the choice in the FRS look good. Wow, think of how E36 M3ty that car could have been if they just put a NA Impreza engine in.

Hopefully Fiat puts a 1.4l turbo in it. Hilarious that this would be an improvement.

This engine is inferior to the previous generations. It's a step backward. DI should be more economy AND more power. Not resulting in anemia and malaise, well it's japan so malaise is a given I guess.

What's funny is that 20 year old SR20DE I bet in a 2300lb car would have similar economy as well.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/2/15 5:58 p.m.

Rather than making the miata "special", I'd rather them make it less special and sell it for cheaper. Complete parts-bin engineering type deal. Sell them for $25k or less. Then I could understand 155hp.

If a Mazda 2 sells for $10-$12k, is it not fair to say a miata COULD sell for ~$20k? Wadunno. Apparently its impossible for that to happen as the people "in the know" on the boards say.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 6:36 p.m.
Rupert wrote: In reply to PHeller:You're correct. The Mazda 3 actually does turn that fuel mileage in real life. I don't recall ever buying another car that delivered the gas mileage the sticker said it would.

FWD drivetrains are more efficient due to less drivetrain loss, so a RWD Miata won't be able to reach those levels, especially with the top down. Just pure physics.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 6:42 p.m.

I suspect the change in orientation for the engine may have caused some of the changes in power output.

Also they were targeting for a similar feel and experience to the original NA, which is why they've not pushed the power angle too much on the Miata.

These are just my thoughts and opinions.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
2/3/15 11:08 a.m.
turboswede wrote:
Rupert wrote: In reply to PHeller:You're correct. The Mazda 3 actually does turn that fuel mileage in real life. I don't recall ever buying another car that delivered the gas mileage the sticker said it would.
FWD drivetrains are more efficient due to less drivetrain loss, so a RWD Miata won't be able to reach those levels, especially with the top down. Just pure physics.

Heck I'll be saving my pennies even if it gets 37mpg highway.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/3/15 1:13 p.m.

If it gets high 30's a lot more enthusiasts will be able to claim to spouses its a commuter car = win

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/15 5:22 p.m.

I don't care if it can get 100HP/liter. If it can knock back similar MPG to the 3 with the same engine, it's a success in my book.

If that comes to pass and they also release a PRHT version like the NC, I will put a deposit down and order one.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/3/15 7:12 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Rather than making the miata "special", I'd rather them make it less special and sell it for cheaper. Complete parts-bin engineering type deal.

You own a Solstice, right?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/3/15 11:37 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: Rather than making the miata "special", I'd rather them make it less special and sell it for cheaper. Complete parts-bin engineering type deal.
You own a Solstice, right?

Coulda woulda shoulda. GM, unlike Ford, was allowing 0% financing AND blowing out the Cobalt SS and GXP Solstice. I had just graduated from school in that era, no monies :(

I would kill for a Cobalt SS/T sedan...

sjd
sjd New Reader
2/4/15 8:22 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Am I the only one here not sold on the new Miata. It looks like a Z4 to me, but I'll wait until I see one in person.

I'm not sold on it either but am also waiting until I see it in person.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HpTL5I8HkX3ZkLRuZKLIEfNhLkhAQOoDGTmNNdOXaqRxR1eFrCihbuPX2G3JgctP