1 2
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/09 11:07 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Um wut? For the same model year Mazda hasn't had the RX7 with a different chassis. They have had different trim and power levels or vert versions of the same chassis, but that isn't really whats being proposed in this thread.

Um ya! For the same model year (several, actually), Mazda sold the RX-7 convertible and the Miata. So they've done it before. What's stopping them from selling another two-seat convertible alongside the Miata in the same way, a higher-spec, larger and more powerful car and a more basic, lighter baby one? Nobody says it has to have the same or different chassis, that's not relevant to most buyers.

I shouldn't have used the phrase "baby Miata", sorry. That might be confusing things. Call it an MX2 if you want. You can call it Susan if it makes you happy.

That Smart Roadster was a really cool little car.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/4/09 11:27 a.m.

That is a nice looking rendering... although logic says the only way Mazda would produce another 2-seat roadster would be if they could do so for significantly less than the MX-5... which would likely be FWD...

How does this sound (at increasing price points):

MX-2 - FWD roadster built on the 3 platform

MX-5 - continuing evolution of the current plan (RWD, convertible, and HTC)

RX-7 - built on the next MX-5 chassis, but with a rotory and more luxury; coupe only, most likely...

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
8/4/09 1:39 p.m.
Wowak wrote: Mazda has already leaked info that they intend to make the next MX-5 smaller and lighter....

Has this EVER happened? I mean the same model of car getting smaller and lighter?

Mustang II maybe, but I think you could probably call it another model.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
8/4/09 1:45 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Has this EVER happened? I mean the same model of car getting smaller and lighter? Mustang II maybe, but I think you could probably call it another model.

When Lexus went from the 1994 LS400 (first generation, UFC10) to the 1995 LS400 (second generation, UFC20), the car got roomier, lighter and more powerful.

The new 370Z is smaller, lighter and more powerful than the 350Z.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/09 1:54 p.m.

RX7. Maybe not smaller, but it got lighter in the third generation when compared to the previous Turbo.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
8/4/09 3:34 p.m.

I got kind excited there for a while! When the first Miata came out I KNEW that I would find a way to buy one and I did. It was irreversible lust and I drove it for 13 years.

Just finished doing a week-end round trip from Toronto to Mineapolis in an 06 Miata, and frankly, I can't say that it inspired my desire for another one. The looks and performance have followed the standard "bloat by year" formula that applies to all sports car.

The MX2 kinda gave me the same feeling as the original Miata concept. Except I hate the Z4 rockers.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/4/09 3:40 p.m.
Keith wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Um wut? For the same model year Mazda hasn't had the RX7 with a different chassis. They have had different trim and power levels or vert versions of the same chassis, but that isn't really whats being proposed in this thread.
Um ya! For the same model year (several, actually), Mazda sold the RX-7 convertible and the Miata. So they've done it before. What's stopping them from selling another two-seat convertible alongside the Miata in the same way, a higher-spec, larger and more powerful car and a more basic, lighter baby one? Nobody says it has to have the same or different chassis, that's not relevant to most buyers. I shouldn't have used the phrase "baby Miata", sorry. That might be confusing things. Call it an MX2 if you want. You can call it Susan if it makes you happy. That Smart Roadster was a really cool little car.

Gotcha-misread your original post to say that Mazda had multiple chassis versions of the RX7 in the same model year. Not that Mazda had multiple RWD convertible chassis in the same model year. Much clearer now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CmaKSbtOvKveqsyNwBGQ1jEqm5SIL1TXF2AyaBpeuGq7U15j4kQ7sJkq31Skbnn4