1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
3/23/16 8:52 a.m.
feature_image

Nissan just unveiled the facelift for the 2017 GT-R. this new look will only be available for the 2017 model year as the GT-R is planned to move on to the R36 generation the year after.

So what's new? The front fascia features a more intimidating look with more grilles, slightly different side skirts and a premium interior.

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/23/16 9:03 a.m.

Good thing you told me it was a facelift. I wouldn't have been able to tell otherwise.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/23/16 9:11 a.m.

I have a buddy that is a huge GT-R nut. It blew his mind when I told him I didn't like them. He couldn't comprehend it. He kept showing me all the cars it beats. Races it's won and so on.

To me cars are more than just numbers, and impressive as the GT-Rs numbers are, they don't make up for what is lacking. This facelift doesn't come close to fixing it either.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/16 9:12 a.m.

Yeah you have to look closely to spot the differences...

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
3/23/16 9:28 a.m.

They don't wow me that much as they used to anymore..

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
3/23/16 9:30 a.m.

In reply to 92dxman:

Same here. I'm looking forward to see what the new generation brings.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/16 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Nick (LUCAS) Comstock:

The R35 is the only car that I've driven in anger on track that was more fun to drive on a Xbox.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
3/23/16 9:59 a.m.

Have they done anything to bring down the operating and consumables costs? I've heard anecdotally that many of the high end super cars that compares to are much cheaper to maintain, and more DIY friendly.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/16 10:00 a.m.

Anything at that performance level is going to have high consumable costs. It's pretty hard to avoid.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/16 10:05 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Have they done anything to bring down the operating and consumables costs? I've heard anecdotally that many of the high end super cars that compares to are much cheaper to maintain, and more DIY friendly.

Anyone who can afford a GTR just hears a long farting noise when you talk about parts costs, and anyone who is interested in a GTR hears C-span when you talk about DIY'ing work on a car

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
3/23/16 10:11 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

But it's just a Datsun????

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/16 10:12 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Anything at that performance level is going to have high consumable costs. It's pretty hard to avoid.

except, of course, an LS3 miata.

chriswadsworth
chriswadsworth GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/23/16 10:26 a.m.

Soulless go fast machine, ugly etc... I could probably sell off all my trashy projects and buy a late model used one but I would not be able to drive it in anger very often because tires alone would eat me out house and home. The miata the e36 and the gokarts get treated like they are getting new tires and breals tomorrow anyway all of the time. That to me is what makes a car fun. Could I hang with one, maybe, probably not though. But really do I even care.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/23/16 10:28 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Anything at that performance level is going to have high consumable costs. It's pretty hard to avoid.

Are transmissions considered consumables?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/16 10:33 a.m.

If I'm going to spend my time thinking about something I just can't afford, I'm going to think about something much more awesome than this.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
3/23/16 10:33 a.m.

They say never meet your heroes. It's true. I drove a r35 on LVMS. When surrounded by lambos and Porsches and ferraris and mclarens, this car is SLOW. I don't care what numbers say. The car felt slow, and though I got to pass two 430 scuds, I believe that was all driver. The gearing is so tall...

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
3/23/16 10:48 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
Are transmissions considered consumables?

Yes! If you can afford the car and can afford to track it you already know you can afford the transmission consumption.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/23/16 11:35 a.m.

"New" Nissan GT-R revealed. Rant on.

I haven't cared about this car since it passed $100k. The "awe" people had for it is that it was inexpensive for a "supercar". Now it's pretty much competing in price with the Audi R8 and NSX. Unimpressed, sorry.

A car impresses me if it delivers on performance AND price. A car like this priced as a supercar is entirely an unimpressive vehicle. It SHOULD be this at this price. If this car did all of what Nick says above and was 60 or 70gs we would have something here.

This whole thing is pretty much why I fell out of love with Japanese cars in general. Still like the old ones back when the country produced relevant groundbreaking vehicles and wasn't focusing solely on the luxury segment. Nissan and Toyota are particular hugely in that corner. Toyota gave us a FRS and forgot about it as like throwing us a biscuit to chew on. Mazda and Subaru still exist I guess.... Mazda is a shadow of it's former self circa 2006 even

It also doesn't make sense. The reason why the Supra or 300ZX in the 90s became so expensive was the Yen increasing. Now it has collapsed and this car keeps raising in price. Even back then I still could pick 240SX (or 200SX if in europe), MR2, Sentra SE-R, etc. I had many options. These are what made Japanese cars popular with enthusiasts. Now it's a company like FORD doing that with 3 different hot hatches and several forms of mustang. If they made the solstice instead of GM and it was still built they would have a better lineup than any Japanese company ever had. INCLUDING the mythical "JDM" and "Euro" lineups.

I got into cars as a Japanese car enthusiast and somewhat of a JDM fanboy. Not anymore. And it's not because "I grew up and my tastes changed" either. I still prefer old japanese cars to old american. It's just companies like Ford are making "Japanese" cars now. The GTR is the perfect symbol as to why. They build this, Ford is building the Focus RS AND the Ford GT. Nuff said.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/23/16 11:42 a.m.

Im with you guys, this thing doesnt do it for me...expecially since they have made everything from a maxima to a murano look like a gtr, gtr just reminds me of a maxima now. Oh E36 M3 i just googled 2016 maxima and the front looks identical

That said a friend has one thats recieved the t1 treatment...twice. Its now 1200hp on 93, thats fast. But considering hes now got close to $300,000 in it, it's not.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/23/16 12:17 p.m.
Craig_F wrote: If you have to keep telling people how cool your car is, maybe it's not that cool. That's the biggest issue with the GT-R. The owners keep telling everyone they "don't get it".

After getting the opportunity to drive one, I personally found the thing to be quite lacking. Most notably, it seemed like the cars are either all gingers lacking souls or they sold their souls to the devil to be as fast as they are. They are fast, but the biggest annoyance is all the electronics really can make the driver out to be much better than they actually are.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/23/16 12:49 p.m.

The R35 or whatever it is GT-R never did it for me, and I was a huge fan of just about all of the previous Skyline performance models. I cannot stand the looks of it. There is nothing about the car that makes it anywhere near as lust-worthy as the older models did. No attractive looks, no cool boosted inline six, etc... I really wish we got some of the earlier ones in the States (like the R32, hnnnnggggg) with LHD because one would be in my garage already.

And I 100% agree with the above $100k statement. When they cost less, they were untouchable with other offerings in that price range. Now that they are over $100k, there are other cars that I'd rather spend my imaginary dollars on.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/23/16 1:32 p.m.

Looks like it has a little more of the corporate face now. That first pic could almost be the 370Z from that angle.

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/23/16 1:49 p.m.

Who needs a GT-R when you can have a turbo V6 Mustang?

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/23/16 2:37 p.m.

A buddy has driven a GTR in a few One-Laps. I think they placed second in a very stock version a couple of years ago. He's an ex professional racer and proclaimed it was by far the best street car he's ever driven. This comes from someone that's not only raced professionally M3's, Porsches, etc., but also taught at Ferrari track days, etc. They tested the new track version GTR a few weeks ago and said it was phenomenal as well.

As for the price, look at what you'd have to pay for a Porsche, Audi, or a Ferrari with performance that is not even as good. I'm not a fan of the way it looks, but there is no denying that it is a league almost by itself in terms or price and performance.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/23/16 2:52 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: A buddy has driven a GTR in a few One-Laps. I think they placed second in a very stock version a couple of years ago. He's an ex professional racer and proclaimed it was by far the best street car he's ever driven. This comes from someone that's not only raced professionally M3's, Porsches, etc., but also taught at Ferrari track days, etc. They tested the new track version GTR a few weeks ago and said it was phenomenal as well. As for the price, look at what you'd have to pay for a Porsche, Audi, or a Ferrari with performance that is not even as good. I'm not a fan of the way it looks, but there is no denying that it is a league almost by itself in terms or price and performance.

Interesting, I guess a lot of it is personal taste. I've never driven the GT-R, so I don't have first hand experience to draw from. But a buddy is the lead instructor for Xtreme Xpereince and when I asked him and the other instructors about it, they were pretty lukewarm about it. They all said it's fast, but cars like the GT3 and Huracan are more fun. He said it's mostly the Fast-N-Furious and video game crowd that runs the GT-R. They all said it's big and heavy and feels that way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L8jHEAFBXxrUEtc1IuLwE7ZToMWb7OCj69DCLAb6c4wghnUasZIs9zMkstvpyeYd