Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
1/7/21 11:15 a.m.

For as long as I can remember, we've had British cars.  It started with a '57 Triumph TR3 which lead to a number of MGAs, Bs...  The first car I ever worked on, nearly 40 years ago, was a '58 MGA Coupe, which I still own.  Around 1987 or 88, my Dad bought MGAs #7 and 8 from a classmate of mine.  This would be "the last" MGA and here it is the day it was brought home.

Dad was friends with a guy that had a combination rollerskating rink/heavy machinery and tire service station.  We kept the other MGAs here in the warehouse below the skating rink.  Immediately the restoration began.  Dad and I pulled it apart and stripped it down.

In 1989 a job promotion required a move south so "the last MGA" was loaded up and stored beside MGA #1 in a rental house garage.  A year later, Dad bought a farm up the road and the MGA was loaded inside a U-haul and deposited in a barn.  It sat there for the next 20 years.  Everyone grew up and old.  Dad retired and I got married.  Not being able to sit still Dad started a new business and later retired again.  His third retirement finally took and he decided to clear out his to-do list while he was still able.  He moved the MGA from the barn to his hangar and started on the mechanicals.

By 2013 he was done and he brought the car to me to do the bodywork.  My daughter had just turned four.

Periodically I would pound a dent out or weld a fender together, but having three little kids and a number of other projects, the MGA waited six more years.  In the meantime, Dad roused MGA #1 and finally started to enjoy retirement in the traditional sense.

When COVID hit I began working from home and it became harder to ignore "the last MGA" in my garage.  So I decided to finish this legacy once and for all.

I stripped the body again and did the best I could to get the car flat.  The old, shoddy repair of the RF damage was fixed properly and by November, it was ready for paint.  "Make it green and shiny" was the goal and I think it turned out fine.

My daughter will be 10 tomorrow and I finally got the front bumper to fit on last night.  I still need to install the carpets and wax it, so by 2025 it should be done for real.  I think this actually is going to be the last MGA.  Dad and I have moved back to our TR3 roots.  I am welding on a '59 now and when he returns from Florida in the spring, we're dragging a '57 TR3 home from Ohio.  This one will be the last for our team.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/7/21 11:24 a.m.

I was expecting it to be red, but was really happy when I scrolled down enough to see the green. Great job!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/7/21 11:31 a.m.

Best looking mg ever.

Just gorgeous. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 11:55 a.m.

I've always loved MGAs

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 12:41 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

I've always loved MGAs

Same. It's odd, because there aren't many cars I'd this era I'm drawn to from any manufacture, but MGAs just have a special charm to them. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
1/7/21 4:08 p.m.

You need to get this done for the spring cause I am calling for a picture of your daughter behind the wheel this summer. She might be able to drive it, but she needs to be able to sit in it and have fun with it.

I have seen longer cars that took to be finished for projects.

Great job. Love the color

Also, Fixed Head Coupes are beautiful.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 4:54 p.m.

GREAT JOB!

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 4:55 p.m.

My sister was car shopping many years ago, and called me to get my opinion on a few options. She has zero automotive maintenance ability, limited funds, and needs reliable transportation. "Is a '59 MGA a good car, its so cute".  Oh sis.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/7/21 5:48 p.m.

Good job! I have a 66 Mustang I started rebuilding in the mid 80's and then jumped projects, over, and over, and over. It was stolen & the remains recovered mid-trip when I was moving to FL about 15 years ago. It sits today still awaiting my attention to finish it. I've come very close to dead 6-7 times since I started the restoration, hopefully I'll finish it as long as the doctors continue keeping me alive.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/7/21 5:55 p.m.

I have a very good friend that bought a mga when he was 18. It has the fenders and trunk lid in the corner of the garage. They have been there for about 25 years. It does run and it is solid

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lf2NzFLy236kJOF5Z5zmb3vGUeXKI02P4PlhnHuSVeihEAbMRk4y6GI2AhE5JWNF