Rigante New Reader
4/26/21 11:57 a.m.

it's just going to be his daily, he has rally cars for off road stuff

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/26/21 2:42 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Do you think maybe this episode was sponsored by Dynamat? To their credit, they did mention in passing that 30% surface coverage would do the job.

What I liked was that this episode shows how all the work creating clip holders and component passages is paying off.  Abd yeah....those heater ductssurprise  I had already done the math on the effort to make the HVAC plenum, and if billed  at shop rates around me it was around 10k. Then they do the ducts. This think should be shipped over for the Riddler

It wouldn't win I would think.  There was a 67? fastback put onto an 03 cobra pan and made to look like a factory build several years ago.  They got the award for "best engineered" or something.  It was done to look like a factory build.  Very much reminds me of Binky.  They did not hide stuff well enough to get the riddler I think was the concensus from the judges on the Mustang Build.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/21 4:58 p.m.
Rigante said:

it's just going to be his daily, he has rally cars for off road stuff

Pedantic "reality is trolling our perceptions" mode, engage:

Rally cars compete on roads, so their Peugeot is for on-road use.

They plan(ned) on doing track days with Binky.  Tracks are not roads, so Binky will be running off-road.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
4/26/21 5:51 p.m.

If he does intend to drive it on roads, I hope they bring us along on the MOT inspections - or at least describe how the MOT classifies Binky.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/21 11:31 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Agree the heater vents could have been done 3D printed but you really would need the car close-by as everything was modified compared to measuring a stock Mini ( in Spain)

I hope one day 3D scanners and software will be good enough to just scan what you want and press PRINT and off it goes , 

We are a long way from that now !

Well, we're sorta already there. You can take those fabricated ducts and scan them and be pretty close to a print. Or you can scan the area they're going in to and model the new ducting and print that. But being able to scan a space and have the system read your mind about what you want - I'm not sure we'll ever see that.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/21 11:39 a.m.
Sparkydog said:

If he does intend to drive it on roads, I hope they bring us along on the MOT inspections - or at least describe how the MOT classifies Binky.

I would expect that Binky is likely borderline for just an MOT to get back on the road, there is a good chance that they have to go through SVA (single vehicle approval) first due to the extensive modifications.

From memory there is a points system that takes into account how much of the original chassis, engine and drivetrain is being used that determines when it's SVA time.

Keith Tanner
4/27/21 11:52 a.m.

I suspect that when they roll into the workshop for the SVA the inspector will say "Ahhh, Binky. I have been expecting you."

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/21 12:49 p.m.

100% will need an SVA.  That was certain as soon as the first suspension pick up point was changed from stock, let alone effectively a complete new custom floor pan.  Once SVA'd it will get a new log book and registration and be MOT'd just like any car from then on.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/28/21 12:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I suspect that when they roll into the workshop for the SVA the inspector will say "Ahhh, Binky. I have been expecting you."

I would be funnier if the first question was "do you have any documentation about the work you did to the car?"

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
6/21/21 12:26 p.m.

The SVA test is pretty strict and has some odd rules, I hope they fly through

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/18/21 3:16 p.m.
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/18/21 5:38 p.m.

I knew that flexi drive was going to be iffy.

Keith Tanner
12/18/21 8:37 p.m.

Fettling time! This is where it gets interesting and when random YouTube commentators who have never built a car show their ignorance :) Not you, Streetwise. Stuff is gonna break, it's seeing where and how it gets fixed that's cool. Like that flex drive, that was an unexpected failure cause to me. 

And I want more details on that bearing used for the alternator. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/18/21 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

If not for the A/C, they could have used a stock overrunning alternator pulley.  I'm guessing they used whatever is inside one of them.  They were common on Volvos after about 2002 if you want to research.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/18/21 8:59 p.m.

Anyone else not surprised the flexi-alternator drive went kablooee? There is a lot ridding on that and not any easy alternatives.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/21 8:59 p.m.

Here you go - One way bearings

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/18/21 9:46 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

If not for the A/C, they could have used a stock overrunning alternator pulley.  I'm guessing they used whatever is inside one of them.  They were common on Volvos after about 2002 if you want to research.

I'm a little surprised it exploded so quickly, especially for being a not super high rpm engine that I assume they weren't driving overly hard since it was all a fresh build. At first I got the impression that all they were doing was building a new cable and kept thinking "And then you're going to add a one way clutch to it...right? Or else it's just going to do the same thing again." Alternator clutches are pretty common, porsche like them a lot among others. Basically any remotely high/quick revving N/A car will probably have one.

Keith Tanner
12/18/21 11:10 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Anyone else not surprised the flexi-alternator drive went kablooee? There is a lot ridding on that and not any easy alternatives.

Alternatives: drive the alternator off a halfshaft and electric AC :) 

I'm surprised at the failure mode, I'd never considered the flywheel effect of an alternator. I should have. I learned. It may have failed with simple free revving and not on the road.

I also need to pause the video in a couple of places and take a closer look at what's going on with that clutch pedal. I'm assuming a way to allow for more throw, as anything that decreases throw is going to increase pedal pressure unless there's black magic.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/18/21 11:19 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
NOHOME said:

Alternatives: drive the alternator off a halfshaft and electric AC :) 

I'm surprised at the failure mode, I'd never considered the flywheel effect of an alternator. I should have. I learned. It may have failed with simple free revving and not on the road.

I also need to pause the video in a couple of places and take a closer look at what's going on with that clutch pedal. I'm assuming a way to allow for more throw, as anything that decreases throw is going to increase pedal pressure unless there's black magic.

That's what they were doing. They found the clutch wasn't disengaging because they didn't have enough throw, and when they modified the pedal to give enough throw, the pedal effort was insanely high (over 55 kg). So they came up with that contraption to give the throw they needed at a reasonable pedal pressure.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/18/21 11:31 p.m.

In reply to 06HHR (Forum Supporter) :

But what's the physics of it?  A certain amount of pedal travel produces a certain amount of piston travel to produce a certain amount of slave cylinder travel.  I don't understand how the monkey motion changes that.

Keith Tanner
12/18/21 11:32 p.m.

I followed all the stuff about pedal pressure and throw - I've had to do those calculations on some cars I've built and if you want your clutch to disengage on a Miata-based Westfield, I can tell you how to make it happen and Westfield can't.

It's how that contraption gives the throw works without moving the pedal too much that I needed to internalize, as I thought they were constrained at the bottom by the bulkhead and the top by the position of the other pedals. I hadn't had the chance to do anything but run through the video once when I posted. Looks like it basically moves the pivot up a bunch. They didn't say they'd matched the Celica pedal effort, so this might have just let them fine-tune the ratio to get full disengagement with the travel available and nothing more. Unless that center rocker is doing something really tricky. Like Streetwise, I'm wondering about pedal vs master travel here.

A smaller master would have also solved the problem but it looks like they had the smallest available already. That's something we ran into with the Westfield and why I was drilling holes in pedals.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/18/21 11:36 p.m.

If they dent a wheel they will be dead in the water. But is it a race car or a show car at this point? 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
12/18/21 11:50 p.m.

Yes.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I don't either, i suspect it's the magic of the bellcrank shaped link they fabricated.  They really didn't explain how they arrived at the solution other than to say they tried a lot of things that didn't work.  At this point i'm in awe that the whole thing hasn't spontaneously combusted or created a singularity with how densely packed the whole assembly is, especially under the hood. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
12/18/21 11:59 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

I'd say it's an engineering exercise.  It's a show car that you could race, but why would you?  They could have just as easily gone faster for much cheaper by just modifying and off the shelf STI or EVO or Focus RS.  If they were paying someone to fabricate all the bits and brackets I imagine it would be well over 6 figures at this point.  TBH, who's to say it hasn't cost a metric buttload of cash to get this far.  Custom paint, custom wheels, aftermarket ECU and the list goes on and on.  This is grassroots, but it's not a budget build anymore.

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/19/21 12:18 a.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

If they dent a wheel they will be dead in the water. But is it a race car or a show car at this point? 

It was never intended to be a race car. It's a street car and a show car of sorts. If it was a race car it would have been done a year ago because it wouldn't have needed a/c, any of the HVAC stuff, a real interior, or like half the wiring and accessories. Obviously we don't know the details but I wouldn't be surprised if only the wheel centers are unique, the barrels could very easily be off the shelf parts.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GhZ4HzUKwabmV1IuXrZFjLF0xIG8CJaidFdwR06B7oKUI9w7LOLOVxZ1IC249wn4