1 2
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 11:19 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: I'm pretty much at a stop until after the wedding (next Saturday); then it's all gears and wrenches for sale because i won't be allowed to play with cars anymore!!

fixed.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/09 11:31 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Strike_Zero wrote: I'm pretty much at a stop until after the wedding (next Saturday); then it's all gears and wrenches for sale because i won't be allowed to play with cars anymore!!
fixed.

Story of my life. My wife had to sell her cars and tools when she married me and hasn't finished a project car since.

SirCharles
SirCharles New Reader
10/27/09 1:02 p.m.

This is an awesome swap.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
10/27/09 1:11 p.m.

Angry you probaby met my wife at the Challenge.

I picked up an 88 5.0 this weekend. It needs some tuning a second gear synchro and less mustang body. We looked at a 95 325i Convertible but it was eveything we didn't need. The body and interior needed love but the motor ran great $1500 would have taken it but this is supposed to end up being a nice street car.

fireball123
fireball123 New Reader
4/22/16 9:43 p.m.

how fast do you think this swap is

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/16 11:02 p.m.

Holy Necro-thread...

Depends on whether you are fitting the swap into nights and weekends or if you can spend all day, every day working on it...

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/16 6:59 a.m.
secretariata wrote: Holy Necro-thread... Depends on whether you are fitting the swap into nights and weekends or if you can spend all day, every day working on it...

Ha!

Mine took me about 8 months of working about 10 hours per week. So, say 300-400 hrs?

But it was my first swap and I'm no professional.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/16 7:01 a.m.
fireball123 wrote: how fast do you think this swap is

My nearly stock 302 dynoed at 207 HP at the rear wheels and my car weighed about 2700 lbs. It was quick, and some cheap upgrades could have really pushed the power.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
4/23/16 10:15 a.m.

So that's about the same power as a stock S50/S52 M3 motor. Not really worth the effort unless you turn the wick up on the 5.0 and make significantly more power.

My S52 with very basic bolt ons makes 230rwhp. With a set of cams I'd be more near the 260rwhp range.

Honestly I don't really see the point of the swap unless you're dropping in a 300+rwhp 5.0 and I'd still rather use an LSx motor...

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
4/23/16 11:06 a.m.
docwyte wrote: So that's about the same power as a stock S50/S52 M3 motor. Not really worth the effort unless you turn the wick up on the 5.0 and make significantly more power. My S52 with very basic bolt ons makes 230rwhp. With a set of cams I'd be more near the 260rwhp range. Honestly I don't really see the point of the swap unless you're dropping in a 300+rwhp 5.0 and I'd still rather use an LSx motor...

The LS engine costs considerably more to buy and install. By a factor of about 4. You can easily get 300+hp from the 302 without breaking the bank and that'll scoot nicely. I found a nice used drag race 5.0 from a friend that was going big block and I ended up with nearly 400 hp (after swapping out the high rise intake and huge carb) for a grand total. The 5.0 is also physically smaller and so it fits between strut towers better. And it's about the same weight in iron form (with aftermarket intake) as the LS, and with aluminum heads is lighter yet.

As for the S50/S52, the swap into a 318 or 325 is cheaper with the 5.0 that the BMW engine. And "turning the wick up" on the S50/S52 is pricy just to get what the 5.0 can do with just tuning.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GOWA1T23L4jUi9p6KaDoPateM7RtjVLqtJV3kmMs3RI7MNQCxxrP97fUO6f78fWH