Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
10/8/20 2:29 p.m.

looking at upgrading my tow rig.  currently have a 2005 GMC 2500HD 4wd packing the mighty 8.1l big block and alison trans.

For future needs, i want a 4 door setup.  Requirements: 4 doors, 4wd, Gasoline powered.   Wants: 3/4 ton but a newish 1/2 ton will likely do most of what i need, short bed 

Truck will rarely move without a trailer behind it or a load in the bed.  will tow cars on the regular, but if 3/4 ton hooking to a large tractor/small backhoe is certainly a possibility.  

looking to spend 25k-ish on one,  maybe more for the right truck.

always been a GM guy, but nowadays they all seem to be about the same in quality and appeal to me.    the one i "want" the most is a 2014+ Ram power wagon,  but i don't actually need it, but all its off road goodness would up the cool factor even if only used once a year.    2nd would be a 3+3 GM squarebody with a modern drivetrain, but i don't have room or time for a project of that scale currently. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/8/20 2:36 p.m.

Prices are so high on used trucks that you might be looking at a discounted new half ton instead. Right now I bet $25k doesn't buy a lot more truck than you have. 

Having said that, I bought a 25kish F150 EcoBoost about 2 years ago and have been very happy with it - but I'm a Ford guy. Like you said, all of the big 3 are doing good trucks these days, just pick your favorite flavor. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/8/20 2:47 p.m.

Check the tow rating on a Power Wagon.  Many of the "off road" focused trucks actually have rather low towing ratings due to the softer suspensions that articulate better off road.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/8/20 2:59 p.m.

$25k probably gets you a few year old ecoboost f150 with 50k miles...but $30k gets you a brand new one, and I'm not really sure how you can pass that up for such a small price difference. Depending on exactly how much you want to tow, good luck figuring out whick ones have the right tow package, but I'm prety sure that's the case with all the manufacturers, and I imagine it would be even more of a crapshoot shopping used trucks.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/20 3:26 p.m.

Most newer 1/2 tons will tow a big load better than many older 3/4s.  I towed 7000 with an ecoboost and I thought it did as well or better than my 95 F250

But... if you're going to put a lot of miles on it, I might suggest a 3/4.  The parts are just so much beefier.  Bearings, brakes, tie rod ends, transmissions, axles... I owned my 95 F250 for a total of about 100k miles (from 26k to 120k) and I replaced brake pads once and never had to do any suspension/chassis parts.  The brake shoes were likely original and still had some meat on them when I sold it.

It's overkill, but it's glorious knowing you have an anvil with overkill parts.

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/9/20 1:44 p.m.

I really like my 2016 Ram 1500. Tows very well and is comfy, both thanks to the four-corner air suspension. Mine is a fully-loaded crew cab Sport because I hate chrome trim. I bought it with 41k miles and certified pre-owned for $32k a year ago, and it's still worth about that much now. More miles and not CPO will likely get you into the price bracket you mention. They did a pretty serious overhaul of the Ram 1500 for 2013 model year. 99% of them will have the 8-speed auto which is the now-ubiquitous ZF8 used in everything. The ZF8 paired to any Hemi will be built by Chrysler and beefed up to handle a V8.

I pull a 20' enclosed trailer (20' box, 4' V-nose) that weighs about 6500 lbs loaded up. The 3.5L EcoBoost F-150s are awesome options, too, and you'll win every drag-race-while-towing event you ever try. Avoid the 2018+ 5.0L V8 (Google TSB 18-2354 and my blog will be your first result explaining why). The 6AT was pretty good and the 10AT replaced it for 2018. Both transmissions are good options though the 10-speed tows really nicely given all the ratios to help get and keep you moving.

+1 to the comment about NOT getting an off-road focused truck like a Raptor or Power Wagon. They are softer and come on worse tires if you will be towing more than anything else. I tested a Raptor for a week and it towed my trailer fine but a normal F-150 was happier about the setup in comparison.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/20 2:05 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Ford has a tow guide on its web site that gives ratings by vehicle and the other parameters engine, rear end ratio, wheelbase. The other way to check is decoding vins and build specs.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/9/20 2:43 p.m.
Rons said:

In reply to dps214 :

Ford has a tow guide on its web site that gives ratings by vehicle and the other parameters engine, rear end ratio, wheelbase. The other way to check is decoding vins and build specs.

Yeah, except I could only ever find charts that list by gross combined weight, and the window stickers list by gross vehicle weight only.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/9/20 2:58 p.m.
dps214 said:

$25k probably gets you a few year old ecoboost f150 with 50k miles...but $30k gets you a brand new one, and I'm not really sure how you can pass that up for such a small price difference. Depending on exactly how much you want to tow, good luck figuring out whick ones have the right tow package, but I'm prety sure that's the case with all the manufacturers, and I imagine it would be even more of a crapshoot shopping used trucks.

No way. A decently optioned Ecoboost is what 55K in a crewcab. About 14K discount give or take. Maybe 19K off on a 2019. 

https://www.crossroadsfordlumberton.com/new-Lumberton-2020-Ford-F+150-XLT-1FTEW1E49LFB98648

Personal opinion if the truck you have does the job spend 5-6K on it and get it perfect again as long as the mileage is low enough. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/9/20 3:00 p.m.
dps214 said:

$25k probably gets you a few year old ecoboost f150 with 50k miles...but $30k gets you a brand new one, 

I'm not seeing prices like that recently.  $30k gets you a used eco post with 70-80k miles around here. $25k gets you 100k+ miles. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/9/20 3:07 p.m.
dps214 said:
Rons said:

In reply to dps214 :

Yeah, except I could only ever find charts that list by gross combined weight, and the window stickers list by gross vehicle weight only.

Ford window stickers can be found using the VIN, just google to find the page. The window sticker will list engine size, wheelbase, rear axle ratio, and any packages that were added. It takes a little sleuthing, but you can usually run down the options listed in the towing guide based on the package listing on the sticker. On something like an SUV with fewer options it's much easier, but pickups can usually be figured out.

For example, lets look at my truck. Here's a link to the 2013 Ford Towing Guide. Chart looks like this:

So knowing I have a 3.5L, 145" WB SuperCrew, 4x4 with a 3.55 rear axle (listed on the window sticker) ... The only listing is a Loaded trailer weight of 9600lbs. (incedentally, only 100lbs less than my 96 PS F250 was rated  for) You don't need to know the GCWR listed on the left to determine which one you have. No where on the chart are trailer weights listed for the same engine-wb-body-drive combo under multiple GCWRs unless they have a footnote about package. 

But some have footnotes... So here's the footnotes:

(1) Maximum loaded trailer weight requires weight-distributing hitch. See page 23 for additional information. (2) Vehicles equipped with 5.5' box will accept a 5th-wheel hitch, but current 5th-wheel
trailer designs are not compatible with these models (133" wb. SuperCab and 145" wb. Crew Cab). (3) Requires Heavy-Duty Payload Package. (4) Requires Max Trailer Towing Package. (5) Limited
model. (6) Ford Raptor. While the pickup box will accept a 5th-wheel hitch, current 5th-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with this model.

really, only #s 3,4 and 5 are specifically about determining tow limits. And the package names they list are exactly the way it will be noted on the window sticker. Easy

Hope that's helpful. I don't know id Ram and GM works the same or not?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/9/20 3:22 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:

No way. A decently optioned Ecoboost is what 55K in a crewcab. About 14K discount give or take. Maybe 19K off on a 2019. 

https://www.crossroadsfordlumberton.com/new-Lumberton-2020-Ford-F+150-XLT-1FTEW1E49LFB98648

Personal opinion if the truck you have does the job spend 5-6K on it and get it perfect again as long as the mileage is low enough. 

This.

With the current prices, I wouldn't be doing anything at the moment unless I absolutely had NO CHOICE.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/9/20 3:26 p.m.
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:

This.

With the current prices, I wouldn't be doing anything at the moment unless I absolutely had NO CHOICE.

A few months ago a friend of mine bought a 3.5EB quad cab big tow package for $36k with zero price negotiation. A 2.7 with a smaller tow package and some effort in negotiation ought to be at least close to $30k, if not under. Unless the situation has changed significantly in the last few months...which is very possible.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/9/20 3:28 p.m.
dps214 said:
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:

This.

A few months ago a friend of mine bought a 3.5EB quad cab big tow package for $36k with zero price negotiation. A 2.7 with a smaller tow package and some effort in negotiation ought to be at least close to $30k, if not under. Unless the situation has changed significantly in the last few months...which is very possible.

Nobody is buying a 2.7 when they are towing cars and trailers for 90% of the cycle life of the truck. The one he has is bulletproof if maintained properly and is fit for purpose. Yeah the new half tons are better but your looking at least 45K for a towing package equipped new one. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/20 3:29 p.m.

Around here a new f150 is about 37 in a crew cab, rams are dead at 30 with the big horn package. I'm not sure about chevy's.  I don't love ram, but the price makes them fairly attractive. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/9/20 6:45 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:

This.

Nobody is buying a 2.7 when they are towing cars and trailers for 90% of the cycle life of the truck. The one he has is bulletproof if maintained properly and is fit for purpose. Yeah the new half tons are better but your looking at least 45K for a towing package equipped new one. 

Did...did you miss the part about a 3.5 eb crew cab 4wd max tow package 11k tow rating for well under $40k? I did forget that he's looking to actually tow frequently, but two things. 1) never specified the amount towed, a 2.7 with medium tow package could be plenty for the job. 2) the price gap between new and used is tiny. If it's a thing to pile miles on, I'd take a new truck for low to mid 30s over one with 100k miles on it for $25k every single time. And the truck he has now isn't fit for the purpose because he needs four doors...hence this thread existing in the first place.

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
10/10/20 1:12 p.m.
dps214 said:
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:

This.

Did...did you miss the part about a 3.5 eb crew cab 4wd max tow package 11k tow rating for well under $40k? I did forget that he's looking to actually tow frequently, but two things. 1) never specified the amount towed, a 2.7 with medium tow package could be plenty for the job. 2) the price gap between new and used is tiny. If it's a thing to pile miles on, I'd take a new truck for low to mid 30s over one with 100k miles on it for $25k every single time. And the truck he has now isn't fit for the purpose because he needs four doors...hence this thread existing in the first place.

Primary issue with the current truck is it is a standard cab.   If it were extended or crew I would keep it for sure.   But situational changes mean a 4 door is needed.

As for towing,   it will tow cars on a typical open car hauler often,  so 6-7k on the regular.   But towing other trucks and such will happen as well, pushing it up to 9k ish.     And I can't rule out the occasional piece of farm equipment putting loaded weight into 5 figures.   

A 2.7 ecoboost is 100% out of the question.  And as much as I will be towing and hearing tales of the 3 5 being unreliable when used for heavy towing.   I have heard they are great engines but not when constantly towing.   

Towing the farm equipment once or twice a year is what really pushes me into the 3/4 ton range.   

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/10/20 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Underpowered :

I owned Chevy's since my first new car in 1972.  My last truck gave me 371,000 miles of virtually trouble free driving  over 20 years.  I only quit on it because the dreaded tin worm ate too much of the sheet metal. 
I wanted to buy another but looked at Chevy's and Dodges a few years old with rusty fenders and bought a Ford F 150. V8 4x4.  
The price I got it for was $8,000 cheaper than the best deal I could get a Chevy  for. I'm a former salesman ( Chevy ) and I knew costs and how to negotiate.  
     The final selling point for me was the aluminum body.  It's not only 800 pounds lighter. But it's not likely to rust.  
   Now that I've owned it 2&1/2 years I'm really glad I did.  I get a little bit better mileage because  of the weight savings. It's been totally trouble free. A little over 55,000 miles so far.  I've since found out the V8 is one of Fords most trouble free engine and transmission packages. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/10/20 1:39 p.m.
dps214 said:
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:
z31maniac said:
wearymicrobe said:
dps214 said:

This.

Clear and well said.  
since any work on a new truck is covered under warrantee the first 50,000 are virtually free maintenance wise. And second owner takes the brunt of depreciation.  
I own vehicles until they are ready for the junk yards and over the last 40 years of my life that means a depreciation of less than a $1000 a year.   Since I stay on top of the maintenance to get a long life out of them they tend to be very reliable.  

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/10/20 4:51 p.m.

In reply to Underpowered :

Yeah, sounds like you might want something a little more robust than an f150. I was pushing for it because, at least to my knowledge, $25k is kind of a dead spot in the 3/4 ton market where the only real option is a lateral move to the quad cab version of your truck. Which is a lot of effort and maybe money for something essentially identical. But if you're otherwise happy with your current truck maybe it's the best move.

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
10/10/20 9:29 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Yeah,  I like the gmt800 platform but wouldn't mind something newer.

The ram/dodge is attractive due to the solid front axle and honestly the  leader at the current point.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uuMERHkLcuKx9OLObVYR1kw0oS2UpP6otui6en12IPlQGg22NA3nR1nP0EjPuAif