slefain
slefain Dork
7/1/08 9:49 a.m.

Put on the new tires and wheels last night. I went with the 225/45-17s. The back wheel scrubs a little. I might need to roll the wheel lips. DILYSIDave threatened to torch my coil springs in the parking lot today if I don't promise to lower it soon. Once it is lowered and tinted, I'm calling it done.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
7/1/08 11:48 a.m.

Yum. I always wanted a Passat wagon...

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
7/1/08 9:18 p.m.

How is that car? I've been thinking of one also.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/1/08 11:16 p.m.

Seriously - that thing sits higher than my jeep, after the 4" lift.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/2/08 7:45 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: How is that car? I've been thinking of one also.

Love the car. It has it's quirks, but you can't find a better balance of power, gas mileage, and hauling room in anything else. Mine is a 5-speed VR6. I can drive it like an old man and just put-put around, or I can wind it to 6 grand and freak the crap out to the kid in the Honda beside me.

If you are in the market for one, find out if the heater core has been replaced. If not, get mentally prepared that it WILL fail and it WILL not be fun to replace. I actually paid to have mine done (I never let anyone work on my cars). The power windows regulators are standard VW junk. Also, the cooling system can be finicky (like any other German car).

Other than that, it's a hoot to drive, looks decent, hauls ass when I want to, and was stupid cheap to buy.

DILYSI Dave wrote: Seriously - that thing sits higher than my jeep, after the 4" lift.

Researching lowering options now. On the plus side, I can go on the next company trail ride....

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
7/2/08 7:56 a.m.

If you have a rub now, lowering it might make it worse.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/2/08 8:41 a.m.
iceracer wrote: If you have a rub now, lowering it might make it worse.

One of Dave's friends is adept at cramming larger tire/wheel combo under cars for auto-x. He recommended pulling the inner fender liners and rolling the fender lips. And some judicial work with a sledge hammer (I pounded the rear inner wheel wells last night). I'm also thinking of urethane swaybar bushings to help control body roll a little.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P0gZmxC8yVZ8UzEEXenjze8IMcYLsNAZSVio9AI6BEUdHaT7sjG428pefqMtBa9R