1 2
irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 2:14 p.m.

a few quick snaps of the new wheels on the GT6 project....I went with an offset stagger, so had to get the fronts special from Australia on a slow, slow, boat.

Wheels are Superlites (about 13lbs in this size). Fronts are 14x6 +26 offset. Rears are 14x6 +12 offset. 185/60/14 tires all around (for those who don't know, these cars came with 13x4.5 and 155's...so this is a significant size-up). The hub section is cosmetically different front and rear, but who cares...

Anyhow, just felt like posting some pics since the car looks so much better with the right wheels on it and the suspension stance tweaked. The offset stagger has also made the handling more neutral, which is key for these front-heavy cars. And also it put all four wheels pretty much flush with the fenders with just minimal rubbing in the rear (need to roll the fenders)

next task: get a roll bar made....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/09 2:34 p.m.

I <3 minilights

alstevens
alstevens New Reader
7/2/09 2:35 p.m.

LOOKS GREAT- Also just got a set of 13 x 6 Superlite's and they also were on a slow boat. Maybe the same boat.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
7/2/09 2:42 p.m.

awesome stance...

Kinda reminds me of a stingray's little brother

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
7/2/09 2:54 p.m.

Can't see the pics at work, but I'm glad you did the different offset with a set of 14s. That's what I've been wanting to do for quite some time.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
7/2/09 3:24 p.m.

very nice

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 3:28 p.m.
alstevens wrote: LOOKS GREAT- Also just got a set of 13 x 6 Superlite's and they also were on a slow boat. Maybe the same boat.

If you got them from VTO, then yes...probably. He was waiting for a big shipment of superlites that my fronts were in.

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 3:29 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Can't see the pics at work, but I'm glad you did the different offset with a set of 14s. That's what I've been wanting to do for quite some time.

I ordered a full set of +12 offset as fit guides suggested, but the fronts stuck way too far out of the fenders and looked stupid, so I sent them back and waited for the +26s to come it. Very happy I did!

Non-rotoflex GT6s and spits can probably use the +26s in the rear as well as the front, but with the rotoflex rear you need the 12s to clear the shocks.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
7/2/09 3:59 p.m.

Me like!! I'd need the jaws of life to fit in & out of a GT6 but I love the roundtails & when business picks up I'll put the Mk3 Spit back on the autox course.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado HalfDork
7/2/09 4:04 p.m.

Very nice. Makes me want mine back..

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 4:04 p.m.

^^ yeah, it seemed alot easier when I drove this thing back in high school. I'm 6'0" tall about 175 and it's still a bit of an effort to get out, especially with the miata seats, which have higher side wing bolsters than the stockers...

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 4:06 p.m.

here's another shot with my DD/autocross car...need to do something about those tailpipes....like condense them into two singles...

Photobucket

and an interior shot

Photobucket

alex
alex HalfDork
7/2/09 4:34 p.m.

Very tasty. I've always liked GT6s, and this ones hits all the right points for me. Well done.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
7/2/09 4:38 p.m.

Sweet car in impeccable condition!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
7/2/09 5:08 p.m.

I lust after that car!

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 5:26 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7:

I must take good pics...the body condition is actually quite terrble....fiberglass floorpans and rear wings and rockers, surface rust covered by spraypaint, a dent in the roof (something fell off a garage shelf) etc.

The frame/suspension/engine/brakes are all freshened up and rebuilt, but I have a ton of bodywork to do and eventually get it painted. right now the paint job you see was done with rattle-cans in my driveway on a windy day no less:)

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 5:34 p.m.

I had a thread going here a while back but I think it was on the "old" forum maybe. Anyhow, for those who didn't see it, here are some "in progress" pics from the last year in which I rebuilt the car:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
7/2/09 6:09 p.m.

WOW!! Beautiful job - that car is gorgeous. :)

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/2/09 6:48 p.m.

I need to take pics of the passengers side this weekend...that's where the GRM sticker is :)

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
7/2/09 7:00 p.m.

Every time I see a frame minus body I want to strap a seat on and take it for a drive...

Sexy looking car, seems you have made some good progress there.

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
7/2/09 9:40 p.m.

car looks awesome!

Luke
Luke Dork
7/2/09 9:49 p.m.

Nice! Staggered offset minilites suit it to a tee.

Looks awesome in flat black, too, but what color is it going to be eventually?

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/3/09 10:12 a.m.
Luke wrote: Nice! Staggered offset minilites suit it to a tee. Looks awesome in flat black, too, but what color is it going to be eventually?

probably will get it done in a matte black, either that or a standard gloss black. The car was originally saffron (dark yellow), but the hood and doors were from a silver car that used to be teal. :)

All of my cars are black, so I'll probably stick with that theme...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/3/09 6:17 p.m.

My, but that is nice.

Now my automotive ADD is showing too. I had a brown 1970 GT6+ and many times I wish I hadn't sold that car. Now I have a bud here in town who just bought a 1970 GT6+ (same one I was fising for powerplant ideas for), so I have easy access to it. Dammit.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/3/09 11:42 p.m.

Awesome.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KMGhRlP5V8nWn52P7gB53JYb90cKUZdV9XxcQHtTiRlLHYvmXvWdzKP0BPuKUGdI