1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
11/16/13 2:05 p.m.

What I don't understand is all the people complaining about a CVT option for the WRX. It is still offered with a manual and now it's a 6speed instead of a 5! WRXs have come with autos in the past and Subaru is just getting away from the traditional auto.

What it will do is boost sales and hopefully drive down the price a bit when negotiating on a new one. I love the front end of the new model. The rear end...well it looks like my 2013 Si Sedan.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/16/13 4:39 p.m.
kanaric wrote: I don't see how the 09 sedan is widely disliked. It's certainly better than previous WRX cars in terms of power and reliability and they are not meant for track cars either. I mean that year pretty much started the exploding Subaru sales we see today and I see these cars ALL OVER far more than I ever did WRXs before.

Remember that half of subie buyers are about the look, not the performance. The 09 looks like a mildly modded Corolla (I'll fully admit it). In sedan form it's fairly low-key. A lot of the "tuner" crowd hates it because it doesn't have funky headlights and big wings and vents and fender flairs.

But that's why I love it. Doesn't attract attention from police, or import tuners that want to stoplight race. If it didn't have the hood scoop most people would think it's just an appliance car.

(and really it was the 08 that was hated, since it had the boring look, soft suspension, and same power as the 06-07 with the "cooler" body. But the 09-10 look pretty much the same so they get lumped in with the 08).

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/16/13 4:41 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: What I don't understand is all the people complaining about a CVT option for the WRX. It is still offered with a manual and now it's a 6speed instead of a 5! WRXs have come with autos in the past and Subaru is just getting away from the traditional auto. What it will do is boost sales and hopefully drive down the price a bit when negotiating on a new one. I love the front end of the new model. The rear end...well it looks like my 2013 Si Sedan.

I think the general fear is that if CVT sales to the "commoner" far exceed MT sales to the "enthusiast," I presents Subaru with an option of ditching the MT altogether down the road (like many manufacturers have done), since the CVT sales could be "good enough."

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/16/13 4:41 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: What it will do is boost sales and hopefully drive down the price a bit when negotiating on a new one.

How?

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/16/13 8:13 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
kanaric wrote: I don't see how the 09 sedan is widely disliked. It's certainly better than previous WRX cars in terms of power and reliability and they are not meant for track cars either. I mean that year pretty much started the exploding Subaru sales we see today and I see these cars ALL OVER far more than I ever did WRXs before.
Remember that half of subie buyers are about the look, not the performance. The 09 looks like a mildly modded Corolla (I'll fully admit it). In sedan form it's fairly low-key. A lot of the "tuner" crowd hates it because it doesn't have funky headlights and big wings and vents and fender flairs. But that's why I love it. Doesn't attract attention from police, or import tuners that want to stoplight race. If it didn't have the hood scoop most people would think it's just an appliance car. (and really it was the 08 that was hated, since it had the boring look, soft suspension, and same power as the 06-07 with the "cooler" body. But the 09-10 look pretty much the same so they get lumped in with the 08).

Yes thats why I like it too. They do dislike its look that is definitely the case. The "blob eye" as they call it is much better looking....

Whats weird with this car is that it's sides and flares look EXACTLY like the current car to me. It's like they just bolted a new front end on.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
11/17/13 8:56 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
DirtyBird222 wrote: What it will do is boost sales and hopefully drive down the price a bit when negotiating on a new one.
How?

There will be more on the lot thus rendering the "well this is the only WRX we have on the lot, not sure when the next one is coming in and it'll sell fast" BS line that Subaru salepeople love to leverage buyers with. I heard that at least 15 times when looking for a WRX.

And irishmike I don't think Subaru would do that. They are still one of the few companies that offer a SUV/Crossover in a manual; but, the XT is CVT only so anythings possible.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/17/13 9:31 p.m.

That's interesting. I bought my 09 the first day they got them into the dealer, right off the truck. They had one sedan and one hatch come in. Salesguy didn't even know it was there, I just saw it when I was looking at a Legacy wagon. Ended up getting it for $1k under invoice, no hard sell at all.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
11/18/13 7:18 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Everyone relies on spell-check these days, and that sentence passed

Real writers still due it manually, often multiple times.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/18/13 10:26 a.m.

Allright, who added box flares to the last generation legacy?

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
11/18/13 9:49 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Everyone relies on spell-check these days, and that sentence passed
Real writers still due it manually, often multiple times.

Oh the ironing!

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/18/13 9:52 p.m.
yamaha wrote: Allright, who added box flares to the last generation legacy?

I also don't understand why, if the engine is rearranged to sit farther back, etc etc.....why is there still so much damn front overhang. The long front end and wimpy front clip on my WRX is, by far, my biggest complaint about the car....

lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
11/27/13 2:53 p.m.

^ I saw mention of the AFL (axle forward layout) and plans to move the engine further rearward, but I thought this was only going to be on the STi that is due out in January ? (unless my sources are incorrect about the date).
If they have included this into the WRX, that would be nice though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UzJwVSokltztLF5Bb5UiqKWtEZqTXVCFVUtpXRJuj86NDL2I1ndfCIVrJpGQSdgP