Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/1/14 8:39 p.m.

That's right - Neww Koni Struts on the Z3 Coupe! (Can anyone correct the topic name) Big improvement over the blown out standard struts (although just about anything would be). Ride is still good. Got them thru Tire Rack and they are still on sale.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/1/14 11:55 p.m.

Awesome, congrats, and the subject line has been fixed.

ouchx100
ouchx100 Reader
9/2/14 2:38 a.m.

Been looking at koni for my miata lately. 25 years and 187k miles I think the stock ones are due. Just need to find some money...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/2/14 6:23 a.m.

I love koni's. If they made them for every car I own, and I made enough to buy five sets of konis and good springs, I would.

Rule of thumb at my shop is koni if you think its going on track, bilstein every thing else. Rarely ever works out that way though.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/2/14 8:57 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I love koni's. If they made them for every car I own, and I made enough to buy five sets of konis and good springs, I would. Rule of thumb at my shop is koni if you think its going on track, bilstein every thing else. Rarely ever works out that way though.

Bilstein, for me, is the better race application. It isn't really a quality issue - they are both pretty good (although I did just have a Koni strut fail spectacularly on the 2nd last lap of a race so my bias is even more pronounced than normal). The primary reason for me is that you can have Bilstiens rebuilt anywhere (even in your own garage) and easily change valving whereas there are only a few places in North America who can do Koni properly. That - and the cheaper Koni SA can't really be valved to handle stiffer race springs (650lbs/in is about max) where the Billies can go to 1100 w/o issue.

Now, for a street car - Koni seems to get the valving right so that is what goes in my wife's wagon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BL7xeI2rW43MvkZ4SVGZty6BDw2u1kF8wD7fGyFMawW1wBfBygnMBDnG9wGF4xBm