1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/22 12:22 p.m.
feature_image

Remember how we were just looking back at our 2021 season? Well, our Miata’s first autocross of 2022 takes place this weekend.

And this autocross is a little different, too: a night event at Orlando’s Orange County Convention Center, with this one hosted by the Martin Sport Car Club. Competitors will get runs both at dusk and after …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/17/22 12:36 p.m.

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "night autocross":

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/17/22 12:47 p.m.

I vaguely recall doing some slight modifications to the Datsun for night autocross circa 1989.

David S. Wallens
2/17/22 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Nice. Now that will be stuck in my head. 

David S. Wallens
2/17/22 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Nice. The Miata has Hella H4s and the lot is lit. Will the lot lights be on? Good question. 

David S. Wallens
2/17/22 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

And now to replace SpongeBob with this. smiley

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/17/22 1:01 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I once autocrossed the F500 in a lot with inconsistent lighting...............it was an interesting test of muscle memory.

David S. Wallens
2/17/22 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

We used to run night events in Jax. I never added lights to the car, and I can't remember having any issues seeing. Of course, that was 25 years ago. Being at the computer all day can now wreck my eyes. Hopefully I won't be at the computer on Saturday. Hopefully. 

Sparkie
Sparkie New Reader
2/17/22 1:38 p.m.

Highlands Sports Car Club, https://hscc.club/ runs a whole series of night autocrosses every year in Asheville, NC.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/17/22 1:49 p.m.
Sparkie said:

Highlands Sports Car Club, https://hscc.club/ runs a whole series of night autocrosses every year in Asheville, NC.

Started in 1991!  Been running on the same lot ever since.  It's a great venue!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 1:57 p.m.

IIRC, CCR-SCCA use to have a night-time series at Z-Max. I won't swear to that though. I've never run one, but with my eyes, I'd bet on destroying some cones. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/17/22 2:00 p.m.
Toyman! said:

IIRC, CCR-SCCA use to have a night-time series at Z-Max. I won't swear to that though.

CCRSCCA did hold 24 hour events as part of the North Carolina Autocross Championship.  I remember being the only corner worker around 3:00AM.  This was back in the 90's.  Don't recall it being a zMax.  I would need to dig out my NCAC history tote to determine where.  I was NCAC Series Director back in '91 and '92.

David S. Wallens
2/17/22 2:02 p.m.

Way rad. Love to hear about more night autocrosses. And even some dusk events would rock. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 2:28 p.m.

Now I want to set up a night track day at our local track. It's more like a permanent autox anyhow. There are no track lights, this could be fun :)

Toyman!
2/17/22 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Our last Lemons race was a 24 hour at CMP with no track lights. Even with 4 Hella 500s and two 6" bar lights for the track edges, it was darker than 10' up a well digger's ass. Without any kind of lines other than the blend line at the pits and the curbing, the asphalt just disappeared. 

20190331_193434.jpg

The LEDs in the Dirtson weren't any better. 

20190331_193253.jpg

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/22 2:57 p.m.

I've set up car lights for the T25, it was pretty dark there too. But I was the crew chief, not a driver, so I never got to try it.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/17/22 3:00 p.m.

Our night autocrosses were born out of necessity...................it's to blazing hot to run in the daytime.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/22 3:27 p.m.

I used to race dirt track cars so I've run in poor lighting conditions in cars with no headlights.  It's fun.  Now however, I don't really want to stay up that late.  I'm apparently old and cranky.  Get off my lawn.

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
2/17/22 8:03 p.m.

We used to run night autocross under the lights at Kil-Kare Speedway outside Dayton, Ohio. Tons of fun. Hopefully we'll get to do it again someday...

David S. Wallens
2/17/22 9:09 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Our night autocrosses were born out of necessity...................it's to blazing hot to run in the daytime.

That's a way valid reason, too. 

Toyman!
2/17/22 9:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Tom1200 said:

That's a way valid reason, too. 

Down here, that's the best reason. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
2/17/22 11:27 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

It can often be 107 degrees at 8 PM here.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/22 11:45 p.m.

I took the ralliart wagon to Jacksonville last year for the night event. No moon, unlighted runway. This was actually a clean and relatively quick run.

I'd be there Saturday if I was off work.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
2/18/22 9:14 a.m.

I did a night rallycross once in the WRX.  In the rain.  I did not do well.

But everyone said the WRX looked good with LED headlights, Hella 500 replacements in the fogs, two LED pods and an LED light bar.  So that made me happy.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/18/22 9:45 a.m.

Looks like a 24 hour event hosted by CCRSCCA was in Hickory back in 1993 (Sept 4/5).  Not sure of the event site.  Most likely it was Hickory Speedway, a small circle track with an infield course included.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OXYfbwRbq3KaV8JwDXVjA7mDEuXQ3UBrbT22gG2C0aJAkxOX95kLMe1ydFI3cgpZ