1 2 3
DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
12/1/11 11:20 p.m.

That engine is small in there.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
12/1/11 11:37 p.m.

Why did canada get all sorts of cool japanese cars? Do their UN reps sit side by side or something?

Pisses me off.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/11 12:17 a.m.

^I'll trade our Micras, Nissan Xtrails and Acura ELs for '04-'06 Pontiac GTO's, Mitsu EVO 8+9, and 'Yota MR2 Spyders.....

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/2/11 9:34 a.m.

Canada got a lot of diversity in the late 70s to 80s but mostly on the low end of the spectrum - Ladas, Skodas, Mini 1000s, Dacias, rwd Hyundais, Nissan Micras, etc. These days we get less than the US though. Our 15 year import rule allows some neat stuff to come in though.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=yeMDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA61&dq=nissan%20micra%20canada&pg=PA61#v=onepage&q&f=false

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/2/11 2:43 p.m.

The dirty interior of it. Only four seat belts. I haven't got a chance to clean it yet but it is high on the priority list. Believe it or not those seats covers were thrown in for free :)

No carpets here - just rubber mat interior. Happily I found about $2.12 in the car so I've reduced my purchase price by over one percent!

1989 Nissan Micra dash

Now fitted with 13" Honda Civic rims with winter tires. Looks and drives better. Fills out the well arches nicely compared to the 12" ones. Now just to sort that wonky bumper ...

1989 Nissan Micra

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
12/2/11 4:57 p.m.

That's one oily engine! You should snag a funnel and give it to the previous owner.

"Here ya go, these make it easier to pour stuff!"

All kidding aside it looks like a decent commuter.

Hyper miler fodder?

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
12/2/11 4:58 p.m.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was, "Dodge Colt?"

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/2/11 5:51 p.m.

Size smaller than the Colt.

It is actually fun to drive because you drive it flat out. Flog it and it loves it.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
12/2/11 6:38 p.m.

Supposedly, the Micra was a pretty ....basic(?) car up until the early 2000's model. And when Nissan REALLY got cooking with a fairly neat Micra, they went and "re-designed" it about 2 or 3 years ago and now it's just another one of their cheap boxes with uninspired styling and handling.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/3/11 2:15 a.m.

Motor is 152 lbs? How much boost can it hold? Locost it

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
12/3/11 7:40 a.m.
ArthurDent wrote: Size smaller than the Colt. It is actually fun to drive because you drive it flat out. Flog it and it loves it.

Everything you said there is poetically awesome, and I'm jealous.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/3/11 7:11 p.m.

and I only paid $160 for it ... of course I'll need to spend more than that to get it reasonable.

Seems the center bore on those Civic wheels is slightly too small and causing some nasty shake so they are off for now. I'm think maybe a spacer?

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
12/4/11 1:35 a.m.

Die grinder :D

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/22/11 2:03 p.m.

A couple bonus photos. I love this car! Lots of fun to drive. Rather like a 2/3 scale VW Golf. I had to put the stupid 12" wheels back on. Ordered some thing spacers and I'll die grind the excess off of that.

1989 Nissan Micra

1989 Nissan Micra rear

The previous owner nicknamed my 1989 Nissan Micra "The Dragon" after this an another decal (spelling out Dragon on the rear window). A rather grand name for an unassuming little car. It is a brand of snowboard/ski goggles. Interesting that a brand goggles can inspire such loyalty as you'd use their logo to decorate your car with.

On another note this car is great fun to drive. Very toss-able and work the engine without really brake any traffic laws. I would like to add a tach though. Might wire an old Lada Niva one I have. The wife doesn't like it as it does look quite shabby. Hopefully I can make it look a little less rough over the next few months.

The Dragon

RossD
RossD SuperDork
12/22/11 2:27 p.m.

A maxima's V6 and 5 speed transaxle in the rear of that thing a la LeCar/R5 turbo. Think box flares.

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
12/22/11 2:43 p.m.
RossD wrote: A maxima's V6 and 5 speed transaxle in the rear of that thing a la LeCar/R5 turbo. Think box flares.

YES:

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
12/22/11 2:48 p.m.

E15? isn't that an old sentra motor?

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/22/11 2:50 p.m.

The Super-Turbo version is pretty damn cool. Supercharger and turbo on a sub-1.0L engine.

the stock key!

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15539

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/22/11 2:51 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: E15? isn't that an old sentra motor?

Nope - it is small - 1.2L. There is a 1.0L version not sold in Canada.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
12/22/11 3:46 p.m.

are you sure?

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/22/11 4:01 p.m.

Micra is the MA12S engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_MA_engine#MA12S

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_E_engine

they do look awfully similarly though. The E seems to use a cast iron block were as the MA is all aluminum.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
12/22/11 4:14 p.m.

yeah but i was referring to that picture of the march silhouette

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/22/11 4:26 p.m.

If you think it's fun now, put some 175 50 13's on it.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/22/11 4:27 p.m.

Oh sorry - I have no idea about that one.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 8:59 p.m.
ArthurDent wrote: The Super-Turbo version is pretty damn cool. Supercharger and turbo on a sub-1.0L engine. the stock key! http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15539

I will just add this final picture for the Super Turbo

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tdTWDAfzPGT4CDrc4z7w8bgHCwq5QtRsEmHj6z1IlCoZMDDSMLnZoip6zWLu3Uky