1 2
yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/5/15 3:56 p.m.

Well, I might be trading for one.....so what to look for chassis and suspension wise.....it doesn't have anything close to resembling its original drivetrain.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/15 4:12 p.m.

What year? I had an 87 Pulsar NX in high school, which I thought was a world class car at the time. It's basically Sentra running gear with flip up lights and T-tops.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/5/15 4:27 p.m.

Idk the exact year of this one, but it is boxy with popups and t-tops.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/5/15 4:29 p.m.

It is nearly rust free, I'm mainly interested in suspension, wheel, and brake options. This may end up as a challenge car.... O.o

Tyler H
5/5/15 5:01 p.m.

I think it has standard Macpherson struts up front and a twist-beam in the back. IDK what engine you had, but it had a wheezy SOHC Sentra lump, or the orphan CA18DE DOHC (IIRC) if you got the upmodel.

If you can get a hold of a NX2000, that's a whole different animal.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/5/15 5:22 p.m.

Oh, this one I'm looking at is swapped....with a 3.2L v6.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
5/5/15 7:38 p.m.

First thing you need is that funky truck cap looking thing.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/5/15 9:00 p.m.

I think the Datsun 310 morphed into the Pulsar. I owned a 310 - I still have regrets.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
5/5/15 9:47 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: First thing you need is that funky truck cap looking thing.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/6/15 1:28 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Yes, I'd need to find one of those for long trips.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/15 5:09 a.m.

They were also designed to be driven without any hatch at all back there.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/6/15 7:52 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Yep....anyone know if these are floppy noodles or can be relatively stiff? This one already has a set of ground controls on it. Just wondering, the only Datsun's I know are S-chassis stuff, and know well enough to steer clear of Z cars.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
5/6/15 2:11 p.m.

The CA16DE came in the SE trim but still pretty weak for the weight of the car. The SR20DE can and has been swapped into the N13 basically the same as a B12 chassis. While not as stiff as the N14/B13 chassis they are also lighter, the N14/B13 drivetrain swap is not a bolt in affair but If I had another one I'd consider it, or maybe the CA18DET swap.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/6/15 3:02 p.m.

In reply to evildky:

Thanks, I don't need to know anything about the original drivetrains though.....this particular car needs NX3200 badges made.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
5/6/15 8:57 p.m.

My wife had a Pulsar with the CA18DE. I'll try to skip over the motor specific stuff as yours is the NX3200.....First the handling was very good, our favorite memory is of my wife scooting around an off camber corner and the 911 driver who was riding up her bumper suddenly found himself in a tank slapper. I seem to recall R&T road test listing it pulled around .82 lateral Gs which was very good for the 80s. The car was a bit boomy inside but the V6 ought to go along way to curing that. Even with the mind blowing 130hp it would cruise along at 100 mph and never felt flighty. In her car someone beat the syncro rings so downshifting was a bit of an art. In general we liked the car even with the odd styling, I'd own one again if I could find a clean one. As for the CA18DE, the CA18DET is a popular swap for Australian Datsun 1200 guys so lots of info to be had on Datsun 1200.com, the NX3200 has definite merits but if ever did find one I'd like upgrade to DET. I'd say go for it grab the car it could be fun.

Tom
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 7:46 a.m.

There is one in the local pick and pull that looks to not have had a part taken from it in the 6 months it has been there.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
5/7/15 10:09 a.m.

which 3.2? I don't remember Nissan using anything with that displacement.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
5/7/15 10:12 a.m.

Ok, you NEED this...a Pulsar with a V6 swap?! Is it in your driveway yet??

RossD
RossD PowerDork
5/7/15 2:26 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: which 3.2? I don't remember Nissan using anything with that displacement.

Don't you know Yamaha's proclivities? Think of a Yamaha designed engine that was 3.2 liters. It starts with a "SH" and ends in a "O".

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/8/15 12:23 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

Ross hit the nail on the head.......I was going to post the listing on here to help the guy out, but he's interested in one of my sho's, so screw you guys.

I'm mainly hoping the front brakes can be upgraded, and also finding out what kind of chassis strength and or how much purple crack can be stuffed in the wheel wells.

Add all this to my hopefully much better paying new jerb, and I might be able to make a challenge in the near future.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/11/15 7:25 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I'm mainly hoping the front brakes can be upgraded, and also finding out what kind of chassis strength and or how much purple crack can be stuffed in the wheel wells.

Answering my own question, it is currently tucking 245/40r17's and allegedly has some generation of Sentra SER front brakes.

Oh, and I am an idiot, I own a Datsun now. Perhaps tonight I can get it unloaded and snap some pictures.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
5/11/15 8:02 a.m.

You get it....

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
5/11/15 9:22 a.m.

In reply to fanfoy:

instead of a new thread, "Learn me picture hosting services" The one I've used for years is still broken.

Tyler H
5/11/15 9:42 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to fanfoy: instead of a new thread, "Learn me picture hosting services" The one I've used for years is still broken.

imgur.com Now. After your pictures upload, it will even let you copy/paste the html format to just paste into your posts over here.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
5/11/15 9:48 a.m.

Photobucket does that too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
siQXBJmb1lJrXmqHUC4xeRHLZeFAe1pwsVIxd8ohaNtktdmN4bxv5qrTZDzTjqP2