1 2
NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/16/21 7:30 a.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
David S. Wallens said:

Just thinking out loud, but is there a market for a stripped-down, rear-drive GT-R? 

GTRs AWD traction for the streets and big power has been what has drawn people to them (the last 30 years at least).Even heavy and fully loaded inside they are super fast. AWD is the Pandora's box of drivetrains for GTRs. it distinguished itself as that being  a hallmark feature over Supra's, 300zxs , etc in they heyday where it really cemented it's legacy. 

Also how much would realistically be saved with fewer bells and whistles and RWD? $20k? So it's $95k instead of $115k. Do people buying $100k cars want to save on halogens instead of HIDs, no sun roof, etc? I'm thinking they want all the GTR myth embodies or nothing.

Along the same vein, how many 4 cylinder Supra's have sold? (I have no idea) Me personally for that price difference, if I wanted a Supra or a GTR I'd want the real deal top of the line version. 

This. Everyone champions for a stripped-down, decontented, budget version of a car and then they come out sell terrible.  

And 4-cylinder Supra production accounts for a whopping 15% of sales, from what Car & Driver says.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
9/18/21 8:06 a.m.

Im really curious how long they'll ride this model out for.

Im shocked they've not updated it, much, in a decade or more (I forget when they first came out). How many cars keep the same body for a decade? Minus a Jeep.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/21 11:16 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

How many cars keep the same body for a decade? Minus a Jeep.

With minor updates and refreshes? Quite a few actually.

Here are some examples:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/longest-production-runs-without-major-changes/143716/page1/

A million different trucks in America from the 70s-early 90s .Crown Victorias, Bugs, modern Challenger, Frontier, in Japan the z32 1989-2000 and FD rx7 1991-2002 went over a decade, 370z 2008-2020, C4 vettes with updates from 84-96.... it goes on and on

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/18/21 11:43 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

911 ...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/21 11:45 a.m.

Honda made a largely similar Civic/Integra chassis from 1988 to, what, 2002?

IIRC the DC was Honda's first car that they didn't do an automatic 2 year refresh/4 year replace cycle.

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
9/18/21 12:22 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

9/11 ...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wo2Jyxhy3gBGKONR41EMsAX0kYIiuPStAQRuePdyCaV2E65NhYMkGndE1eUHM8aX