1 2 3 4
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/30/19 10:28 a.m.

Anybody headed to a Nissan dealer to throw down “you are probably giving out good deals since Nissan is going out of business?” speeches to random car salesmen?

Yeah, I didn’t think so. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
7/30/19 11:51 a.m.

I'd also like to be reminded of the halcyon days of car rental fleets being anything other than purgatory?

Upgrade if you don't like driving a Versa.

The best was taking someone to the airport in my UberX Versa (1st gen) and the guy was saying how awful his recent Versa (2nd gen) rental was.

Upgrade you tightwad.  Become one of those elite/preferred/I can afford the extra customers.  Gah.

indecision

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/30/19 12:47 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

There is one significant upside in their future. David Woodhouse who led the design turnaround at Lincoln, recently quit Ford to become global head of Design at Nissan. The future may or may not have more crap products, but they will look infinitely better!

With all due respect, Adrain, what in the world did he do for Lincoln?  I see no real change in the product, and sales still suck.

While this is a Datsun thread I'll still respond.  Yes, I do believe he's done a great deal of good.  I think the old Lincoln would have been in its death throws by now without his (and Kumar's) guidance.  He's helped reinvigorate the design language and messaging around the brand.  He was placed at the head of Lincoln Design partway through the Continental.  Design wise the Conti is a hit, no one can argue with that.  It garnered a huge amount of positive exposure for the brand, unfortunately just in time for that market segment to implode.  He fully guided the Navigator that took Lincoln from 'Oh yes, Lincoln makes a full size SUV' to 'Oh Yes! Lincoln makes THE full size SUV' and demand is far in excess of planning.  While Lincoln sales dropped last year, a large part of that was pulling out of the fleet and company car market to concentrate on more profitable retail sales.  The new Aviator and to a lesser extent the Corsair are also looking to be big hits.  The biggest issue Lincoln has right now is a (well earned) malaise blue rinse reputation.  IT's going to take time to overcome that, but I honestly Believe David deserves a lot of praise and recognition for how far they've come.

Remember, Ford downsized me so I owe no allegiance to the company, this isn't patriotic flag waving, it's my opinion on a guy who I think has a lot of talent and drive.  I hope the future is bright for him at Nissan.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
7/30/19 2:01 p.m.

Agreed- Lincoln was seriously facing an axing back around 2012, and it's pretty impressive how well he turned it around. Having him at Nissan is nothing but good.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/19 2:03 p.m.

To be fair, the current design bar at Nissan isn't exactly a high one to start with. You could crash each car into a wall and improve their looks...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/30/19 5:30 p.m.

I just called the Nissan dealer and they are taking $1400 off the $32,xxx sticker price of a base Z - white paint option.  

My favorite is Nissan still reminds me that the Z car was awesome in their 2019 Frontier brochure.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/30/19 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

That could just as easily be a 2005 Frontier brochure.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
7/30/19 7:37 p.m.

Imagine the critics on here if Nissan was still building the original 240Z and never built a single one of its successors.

Oh they've been building that thing since 1969!  And the price!  When are they ever going to keep up with the German Toyota?!  

It's still got drum brakes.  You're telling me I gotta watch a ChrisFix video now so I can work on my own car!

Don't even get me started on the 510.  They should just call it the Nickel and Dime because that's what it does to you when you can go to the junkyard and find a wrecked one to fix it.  Why can't it have the Darth Vader front bumper cover like every other car nowadays?

Oh Morty! cheeky

Sorry I've been listening to too much Bill Burr lately.  I'll go watch Theo Von to cool off. laugh

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/30/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Rotary_Rage
Rotary_Rage New Reader
7/30/19 9:53 p.m.

How cool would a new 240 replacement be? Lighter weight, Inline 4..I was never a huge fan of the 370z.

Rotary_Rage
Rotary_Rage New Reader
7/30/19 9:55 p.m.

Bill Burr and Theo Von, huh? Very good. Joey Diaz has a good podcast also.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/31/19 6:34 a.m.

People who grew up in the 80's and 90's, when Nissan made some cool cars, are now coming into the age of having disposable income.  Maybe it's time for a revival....a few suggestions....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/19 7:13 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I just called the Nissan dealer and they are taking $1400 off the $32,xxx sticker price of a base Z - white paint option.  

My favorite is Nissan still reminds me that the Z car was awesome in their 2019 Frontier brochure.

And I promise if you showed up actually ready to buy, you'd get even more off of that. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
7/31/19 7:23 a.m.

The base model 370Zs don't have a huge dealer margin, but the dealer proposed a similar amount off when I looked at one and had them run the numbers (slightly less, but they the car is also cheaper here). Additionally, they had subsided financing which had a value ~$3k. Factoring that, the time adjusted value would be ~$28k CDN / 21k US. IMO that's pretty compelling.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
7/31/19 10:35 a.m.

It's a bit sad. I remember in the 90s when Nissan was HOT. 

The Maxima was a badass sports sedan, you had the 300zx which looked so cool, you had the SE-R, and the 240sx.

I agree with the post about them heading toward Mitsubishi, another sad fall from grace. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/31/19 10:43 a.m.
Rotary_Rage said:

How cool would a new 240 replacement be? Lighter weight, Inline 4..I was never a huge fan of the 370z.

I'd rather see an i6 if they wanted true nostalgia.

Although having said that I've considered the SBC swapped 240z option a lot in my life

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/19 10:46 a.m.
Snrub said:

The base model 370Zs don't have a huge dealer margin, but the dealer proposed a similar amount off when I looked at one and had them run the numbers (slightly less, but they the car is also cheaper here). Additionally, they had subsided financing which had a value ~$3k. Factoring that, the time adjusted value would be ~$28k CDN / 21k US. IMO that's pretty compelling.

I actually considered it earlier this year when one of the Nissan dealers was offering some ridiculous trade-in/MSRP discounts on new cars...............alas, they didn't have any 370Z's in stock.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/31/19 10:59 a.m.

Yet the 911 still persists.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/19 12:03 p.m.

Thought I posted this yesterday. But I saw this the other day. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
7/31/19 1:15 p.m.
The0retical said:

Yet the 911 still persists.

Seems like wealthy people are easier to please. cool

Well no I take that back.  The current 911 has as about much resemblance to the original as does the 370Z to the 240Z.  Modern incarnations that are probably both a bit long in the tooth compared to the German Toyota.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/31/19 4:01 p.m.

Nissan makes 60 different vehicles?  Reminds me of the time Mercedes announced that they were eliminating 200 features from their electronic controls.  I couldn't count 50 features I needed...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/31/19 4:03 p.m.
yupididit said:

Thought I posted this yesterday. But I saw this the other day. 

I'm guessing thats a Nissan with a BMW badge, but since all cars look exactly the same now, I have no idea whether that's the joke, or not.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/31/19 4:19 p.m.

Honestly isn't it only relatively recently that you could get a new car with performance approaching the 370Z for that price?  I suppose the 370 is a little dated, but IMO its still a strong value.  Nissan could probably up its power and leapfrog the Mustang or the Camaro in performance per $ relatively easily.

I think if I were gutting E36 M3 fom the Nissan portfolio, it would be the cars with garbage styling, garbage driving dynamics, and lots of overlap.

And yes obviously either fix the CVT so its reliable or get rid of it.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/7/19 8:09 a.m.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29294/the-cummins-diesel-powered-nissan-titan-is-dead

yup

Also currently driving a nissa sentra rental car.  Not awesome.. Not really bad, but not good.  

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/7/19 10:45 p.m.

Honestly isn't it only relatively recently that you could get a new car with performance approaching the 370Z for that price?  I suppose the 370 is a little dated, but IMO its still a strong value.  Nissan could probably up its power and leapfrog the Mustang or the Camaro in performance per $ relatively easily.

The 370 is still fast and anyone who thinks it isn't is jaded. Now, if you want to go faster that's fine but it's not like the 370 is outclassed by really anything it actually competes with besides V8 camaros and mustangs, and calling them competitors is even a little of a stretch to me. It's just old. But i mean, mustangs are fat and i'd rather have an old design than a fat design. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tNUJQKzCsePOLSnz804275e7xyGR8kASuHHi8KbTsuPbR4DypMLXbiWpZYgRGPf7