After 10+ years of 2 races a year at CMP, the 2021 Southern Discomfort is listed as one race. Track is TBA and scheduled for June.

That's kind of shocking. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/22/20 2:12 p.m.

Wha!? I got the email but for some reason hadn't looked at the schedule yet. My first Lemons experience was South Fall 2012 and I've been to every one(except this year for pandemic reasons) since. We've always debuted new cars/themes at the parade. Damn....

We've got NCM back. That was really fun in 2016 other than getting in trouble for trying to go buy fuel in a street liscensed vehicle after the track went cold.

Nice to see Pitt back on the schedule. I would really like to race there and I'm glad it wasn't a one-and-done.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
10/22/20 3:48 p.m.

This... sucks. Our team is based in Charlotte so having 2 races a year there was awesome. Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar.

buzzboy - why did you get in trouble for the gas thing? Sounds weird.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/22/20 3:55 p.m.

Our race car is street registered, plated, has lights etc. Usually after the first day we'll drive into town to fuel up. We were stopped at the gate and told we can't leave the property in a race car. Then they reported us to Jay. He was friendly to us and told us something along the lines of "I guess that's how they do it here." Sputnik got in trouble the same night while teaching somebody to drive stick in the paddock after hours. I really love the track and will go back happily but it was just kinda weird. Musta been a bored security guy.

If you've not been, it's lovely. The track surface is really smooth, curbing isn't jarring, bathrooms are clean and air conditioned, paddock is paved completely in every direction. Depending on how the world goes next year I'd love to go back.

So the word is that there was a "stanced Honda 12 year old left in charge of the track that knew everything and was very difficult to work with."

No races at CMP until 2022 at the earliest is the result. 

That is definately a unsubstantiated rumor and may or may not be true.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
10/23/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

I'm guessing said 12 year old was in charge of the last 24?  We spent the whole time under our car and subsequently didn't hear any drama.  If that's true the guy must've taken his douchebaggery practice seriously.  Jay and crew don't really put up with much, but to boycott a popular track for a year speaks volumes.

In reply to buzzboy :

Our car is registered and plated so we go on gas runs as well.  Thanks for the heads up!

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/23/20 9:33 a.m.
buzzboy said:

I really love the track and will go back happily but it was just kinda weird. Musta been a bored security guy.

I had the same experience with the security guy at NCM with Champ.  After replacing our Honda headgasket, got in trouble for driving our muffled Civic at a walking pace about 30min after the track went cold.

SUCKs about CMP.  That's two less races I'll be doing per year.  I'm not picking up on the 12yo douchebaggery, stancebro, subtle hints.  Anyone care to translate into plain talk?

In reply to Tyler H (Forum Supporter) :

The track is under new management. Apparently the track manager is a younger person (owners son) that knows everything and is more into form instead of function. He was apparently very difficult to deal with so Lemons is moving on, "because they left a 12 year old with a stanced Honda Civic in charge." 

Another source said that the track management thinks they will have no problems filling those weekends so they are not interested in reaching an compromise. The result is no races at CMP. Seems kind of short sighted on CMP's part. Not many events pull in 1000+ people to the track. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/23/20 11:24 a.m.
Matt B (fs) said:

This... sucks. Our team is based in Charlotte so having 2 races a year there was awesome. Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar.

buzzboy - why did you get in trouble for the gas thing? Sounds weird.

I'm hearing some of the other low buck endurance organizations are going to freshly-resurfaced CMP this year.  Also hearing firsthand positive experiences with the new mgt.  I'll reserve judgement for now.

Still sucks...been racing at CMP with Lemons for over a decade 

In reply to Tyler H (Forum Supporter) :

It could be just a oil and water type thing. I've been running Lemons at CMP since that first race back in the dark ages. Next year was going to be my last year but it looks like I'll be stepping away from it a year early. That doesn't bother me too much. Time to move on and do other things. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/23/20 1:27 p.m.

Seems like Lemons management is the common denominator in a lot of these issues. If you mention Lemons and Florida in the same sentence the pitchforks come out in full effect because of bad weather at Sebring. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/23/20 2:12 p.m.

Jay just doesn't suffer fools gladly.  They have the biggest turnouts at every venue and plenty of available venues, so why bother with difficult track management. 

I won't miss CMP.  The track itself is mediocre, even with the new surface, the paddock is mostly dirt and full of fire ants, there is very little power to go around, the bathrooms are scary (even if air conditioned now) and the "garages" are not.  Lots of better places out there to run.   I will miss the block party though, but with COVID we can't do that anyway.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/23/20 2:25 p.m.
Sonic said:

Jay just doesn't suffer fools gladly.  They have the biggest turnouts at every venue and plenty of available venues, so why bother with difficult track management. 

I won't miss CMP.  The track itself is mediocre, even with the new surface, the paddock is mostly dirt and full of fire ants, there is very little power to go around, the bathrooms are scary (even if air conditioned now) and the "garages" are not.  Lots of better places out there to run.   I will miss the block party though, but with COVID we can't do that anyway.  

You're explaining every other track in the US and proving my previous point with Lemons in general. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
elmQxsz7KKxJGKR2k8FapBANco25PqjrJQJFSZRsBO3PR54GgcF1ayg4dBoc2C4d