1 2 3 4
STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/27/19 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

What if you just slowed down? Just for a moment?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 12:17 p.m.
RyanGreener said:

Reading all the way down the article, there was a compromise that lets drivers disable these devices. Seems fine to me.

Sure, but that doesn't do any good when every insurance company tells you they won't provide coverage for your vehicle if you disable the "speed limit" device.

And if it's going to prevent speeding, that means it's going to be using GPS-tracking data and thusly no exactly where you and your vehicle are at all times. 

I'll stop before this gets political, but the insurance companies don't need that data.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 12:20 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
Knurled. said:
Daylan C said:

This will cause issues in the several cities I've been in where the flow of traffic is 10-20 over the marked speed limit.

Plus, if there is no difference in speed, traffic cannot work.  How do you change lanes if you can't speed up?

uh... slow down?

If your location is still correct, some of us don't live in such small cities. Just my zip code is approaching 75% of the population of your entire city.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/27/19 12:47 p.m.
z31maniac said:
edizzle89 said:

uh... slow down?

If your location is still correct, some of us don't live in such small cities. Just my zip code is approaching 75% of the population of your entire city.

How does population impede your ability to slow down and let a vehicle next to you pass? You don't even have to hit the brakes, just ease up on the gas a bit for a couple of seconds and let the car next to you advance ahead.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
3/27/19 1:10 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
Knurled. said:
Daylan C said:

This will cause issues in the several cities I've been in where the flow of traffic is 10-20 over the marked speed limit.

Plus, if there is no difference in speed, traffic cannot work.  How do you change lanes if you can't speed up?

uh... slow down?

BLASPHEMY!!!!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/27/19 1:10 p.m.

Brexit not looking so bad now, HUH!?

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/27/19 1:11 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to NOT A TA :

My experience with a friend who had a breathalyzer in the car is that that tech needs to evolve as well. Mouthwash, fresh pizza dough, certain ethnic foods all seemed to trip the sensor. The random "please blow again" was also fun on long road trips trying to find the thing and breathe in at 70 before it would shut you down. 

So the outdated breathalyzer isn't an option but with newer tech what ARE the options? Some type of one touch blood alcohol/drug monitoring? Between facial recognition technology, fingerprints, eye scans, and modern "one touch" testing used by diabetics how far away are we from having a system that can tell if there's a legally licensed driver at the wheel who isn't under the influence of alcohol or drugs?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 1:13 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I'll stop before this gets political, but the insurance companies don't need that data.

Where does it say the car will log that data in the first place? Using or having data doesn't mean saving it for later use.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/27/19 1:15 p.m.

One thing I like about Texas is the 75 mph rural speed limits.    Troopers don't bother you until you go over  about 85 (or so).  I just stay at 80 and I'm happy.

It usually all works but, of course, with some spectacular exceptions, many times involving a motor home, or people pulling a trailer, writing checks their brakes and suspension can't cash.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
3/27/19 1:17 p.m.

Remember in the early 70s when in some cars had to have the seat belt buckled in order to start? Yeah, same thing as this.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 1:48 p.m.
STM317 said:
z31maniac said:
edizzle89 said:

uh... slow down?

How does population impede your ability to slow down and let a vehicle next to you pass? You don't even have to hit the brakes, just ease up on the gas a bit for a couple of seconds and let the car next to you advance ahead.

Typically slowing down in is less safe than speeding up to make a pass. Especially if you don't use the brake lights to alert the person eating/talking on their phone/putting on make up behind. 

If I speed up to make a pass to the next lane, I impede no one. If I slow down enough to let the car go by, I'm not impeding my lane, possibly causing the car that was following to change lanes, and thus continue to stay slowed down until there is a break in traffic. 

Remember when the gov't officials sold red light cameras as making the streets safer? What's the data show on that now?

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
3/27/19 1:58 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Remember when the gov't officials sold red light cameras as making the streets safer? What's the data show on that now?

The data I have shows I'm out about $300.00 for driving too slowly through them twice.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/27/19 2:10 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Ignoring the fact that there are probably billions of braking events each day that don't result in rear end collisions, wouldn't any vehicle that could comply with this mandate already have automatic braking/collision avoidance tech installed? Even if the driver behind wasn't paying attention that tech should sense your vehicle slowing slightly and adjust it's speed accordingly. Then, you are free to accelerate back up to the speed limit at whatever pace you choose.

I agree that people are generally far to willing to give up personal freedoms in the name of safety, but this is one area where I don't really see the big deal. Think about how terrible the average driver is, then consider that half of the drivers out there are worse than that, and then convince me that there's a legitimate reason for road cars to be capable of triple digit speeds when the highest speed limit in this country is 85mph.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
3/27/19 2:35 p.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

And I remember when Chrysler Corp recalled them so we could disable them.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 2:35 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Slowing down in traffic is the first step to getting rearended.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 2:58 p.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Ignoring the fact that there are probably billions of braking events each day that don't result in rear end collisions, wouldn't any vehicle that could comply with this mandate already have automatic braking/collision avoidance tech installed? Even if the driver behind wasn't paying attention that tech should sense your vehicle slowing slightly and adjust it's speed accordingly. Then, you are free to accelerate back up to the speed limit at whatever pace you choose.

I agree that people are generally far to willing to give up personal freedoms in the name of safety, but this is one area where I don't really see the big deal. Think about how terrible the average driver is, then consider that half of the drivers out there are worse than that, and then convince me that there's a legitimate reason for road cars to be capable of triple digit speeds when the highest speed limit in this country is 85mph.

You're right. We just shouldn't let anyone drive at all. 

I can make red herring arguments too.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/27/19 2:58 p.m.
Knurled. said:
STM317 said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Slowing down in traffic is the first step to getting rearended.  

Someone else who lives in a populated area. Thank you!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/19 3:19 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

BTW, if you think the coal rolling thing is limited or old hat, I still see it not infrequently.  Whenever I'm on a long road trip, if there is a slow down on the freeway and there's a Prius in traffic, I can almost guarantee that within five mins I will see a full size pick up truck pull it's exhaust level with a Prius, let a gap open up ahead of them, then they will floor it.  Not just coal rollers, lifted Bro trucks or old beaters, almost any full size truck owner seems to relish in being a dick.  Not that Pius owners are immune from their own smugness I should note in the interest of fairness.  'Prius, powered by smug' is a real thing.

You must be on the lookout for that.  I get around quite a bit, in fact just road tripped 590 miles yesterday in the south of all places, and aside from a couple videos on YouTube I have never seen that.  I’m not trying to say it doesn’t happen.  I just don’t think it’s that prevalent.  

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/27/19 3:44 p.m.
z31maniac said:

You're right. We just shouldn't let anyone drive at all. 

I can make red herring arguments too.

I really don't see how it's a red herring. It's common place for our society to penalize activities that put the health and safety of normal law abiding citizens at risk. Firing a gun into the air on New Years is illegal because it's irresponsible and puts the health and safety of others at risk. Open burning is illegal in many places because it's irresponsible and puts the health and safety of others at risk. Dumping waste into a river is illegal because it's irresponsible and puts the health and safety of others at risk. Speeding is illegal because it's irresponsible and puts the health and safety of others at risk.

Its not like speeding is legal now and this proposal would enact harsh new speed limits. What this is proposing is simply implementing tech to make it harder and more deliberate to do something illegal and irresponsible that puts others at risk. You can argue that everyone deserves to choose whether to do illegal acts or not, but it sounds like there would still be the option of disabling the governor in this case, so your freedom of choice isn't being infringed upon. The only thing that's happening, is the potential consequences of that choice would potentially be greater in the form of increased insurance costs and higher likelihood of monetary penalty.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
3/27/19 4:42 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The data would likely be more valuable to your insurance company than your policy itself.  See just about every company in existence that has access to your data.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
3/27/19 4:55 p.m.

Honestly I'm surprised it's taken this long. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
3/27/19 5:06 p.m.

Is speeding really a problem in this country? I drive a lot of miles, and I rarely see anyone speeding to the point of being a danger. Reckless driving, yes. I see dangerous driving on a daily basis, often well below the speed limit. I’d argue that cutting across multiple lanes of traffic  at 55 mph when traffic is going 30 in a 65 is much more dangerous then someone cruising along with traffic at 80 in a 65. 

Anyone who has traveled HWY 5 between central and southern CA has experienced the Autobahn of the West. The speed of traffic often flirts with 100mph. Yet everyone seems to manage just fine. One CA senator even recently proposed a bill to widen 5 and 99, and REMOVE the speed limits on portions. No chance of it passing, but very interesting. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 5:14 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Brexit not looking so bad now, HUH!?

You mean, other than the UK being the most speed camera infested place in Europe, and the first one to deploy large numbers of average speed cameras?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy :

You could argue that it's not that big a problem in Europe either. Yes, idiots will be idiots anywhere, including the ones that go way too fast for the conditions and generally drive in a manner that might endanger other road users.

There has been a concerted effort in parts of Europe (including the UK) that equates speeding with dangerous driving and there have been more crackdowns recently even in countries that used to be more lenient like France (where they also lowered the speed limit recently).

To me this looks more like a continuation of machinations that have been in the works for quite a while. Heck, I remember that even as far back as the late 80s and 90s, certain insurers in Germany would limit or reduce payouts if you got into an accident and you were exceeding the "advised speed" of 130km/h on the allegedly unlimited Autobahn.

It's interesting that in some places in the US, speed limits are actually going up a bit on the Interstates whereas in places like Europe, speed limits are coming down.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
3/27/19 5:49 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

BTW, if you think the coal rolling thing is limited or old hat, I still see it not infrequently.  Whenever I'm on a long road trip, if there is a slow down on the freeway and there's a Prius in traffic, I can almost guarantee that within five mins I will see a full size pick up truck pull it's exhaust level with a Prius, let a gap open up ahead of them, then they will floor it.  Not just coal rollers, lifted Bro trucks or old beaters, almost any full size truck owner seems to relish in being a dick.  Not that Pius owners are immune from their own smugness I should note in the interest of fairness.  'Prius, powered by smug' is a real thing.

I see bro-dozers rolling coal (I work at the mall and therefore I see a lot of the "mall rated" trucks running around...lol)... but we'veh ad a prius for almost 3 years nad never had someone crop dust us while in it... 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VniD118AgwqVYGrPqvDsRnBLQgRri9GG6xSgrHP7tAD40ihjwJpCr5GpkR2ZO1KU