1 2 3 4
llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
4/9/19 2:44 p.m.

After seeing some Audi-hole blow past the kids' bus stop at 80 mph yesterday, I'm all for this at the moment. Or portable EMF weapons.

And yes, I heard the brakes lock up when he crested the hill and met the bus.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/9/19 3:34 p.m.

Might actually be a silver lining to this cloud. If they take away my ability to flirt with the velocity laws, I would channel my frustrations into acceleration. Say 0- to 40 in as little time as possible? Far as I know, there is no law against excess acceleration as long as you don't squeal the tires.

Pete

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
4/10/19 3:53 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

And accelerating at different rates would also alleviate some of the gridlock that people seem very concerned about.

For what it's worth, the reports that I've read say that the speed limiter can be disabled temporarily for things like passing situations, and disabled completely upon starting the vehicle if the driver chooses to do so:

"The system can be overridden temporarily. If a car is overtaking a lorry on a motorway and enters a lower speed-limit area, the driver can push down hard on the accelerator to complete the manoeuvre.

A full on/off switch for the system is also envisaged, but this would lapse every time the vehicle is restarted."

So people would still be able to exceed the speed limit, it would just be a more deliberate choice to do so.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qqGjeK7JIUQgTdLTizvZcZMD9mdQfXVSeLqwZDyXVE0KjNzGtf2HZnnFlUfevH3U