BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/11 5:20 p.m.

To learn/drive with an unfamiliar car?

Infineon (aka Sears Point) or Thunderhill?

From what I can find these are the two closest tracks from here aside from Reno-Fernley. I'll probably do that with SCCA in late July but I might want to take the Talon onto the track earlier than that.

bornrich
bornrich New Reader
5/24/11 5:36 p.m.

ThunderHill by a wide margein. I instruct with NASA and while I teach mostly at Infineon, Thunderhill is the best for learn a new car or if you are new to the track. There are less hard surfaces to hit and wider run-offs. Both are fun. But My vote is Thunderhill!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/11 5:41 p.m.

Cool, thanks for the info. They're both pretty much equidistant from us (200 miles each way ) so the distance didn't matter that much...

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
5/24/11 6:25 p.m.

I will second BR's opinion. Thunderhill has lots more run off than infineon.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
5/24/11 6:37 p.m.

I like buttonwillow too but that is another 200 miles (400) total for you

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/24/11 6:44 p.m.

Thunderhill has tons of run off room.

In our first LeMons race at Thunderhill with the Impreza, we kept prepping Jessica for her first real race by telling her the car doesn't have much power and has AWD, so if you go off the track just keep the steering wheel pointed where you want to go and keep the hammer down. About 40 minutes in she went off wide at turn 3 and followed instructions to a T...she cut out all of turn 4 and headed for 5, getting back on track without really losing any time at all! Man, it sure was fun to watch...she had plenty of room and was able to get things back on track plenty safe. Bummer about the black flag.

You can get twisted up there, but as far as race tracks go it doesn't get much better for run off room.

Bryce

madpanda
madpanda New Reader
5/25/11 3:48 a.m.

I'm looking to do my first track day at a NorCal track this summer. How does Reno Fernley compare with the above two?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MXdFDHaxSUkwUrEeK3NIec9R9WpzPsfK9S3K35KKdkcNUgHpV3SBABfX69TY0X8o