Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 6:27 p.m.

Had to spend part of the day doing suspension evaluation with a turbo Miata and an LS3 Miata. Lots of "what happens if we do this?" experimentation, sliding around, jumping berms and angry exploding gasoline noises. 

This is what people think my job is like every day. It's not. 

But some days...

Keith Tanner
8/24/21 6:31 p.m.

I should mention that the turbo car wanted to call for help after one of the runs through the chicane because it was convinced it had just had an accident. It also wouldn't give him full throttle after that because, well, there had been an accident, don't be stupid. It eventually decided everything was okay after a little lie down and gave us WOT back again.

We've been caning these two cars around this track for 6 years, that's the first time one of them has done that.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/21 6:52 p.m.

I'm sure your name and lucky bastard have been spoken in the same sentence more than once.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
8/24/21 6:54 p.m.

Was it on the Afco line through the chicane?  cheeky

Keith Tanner
8/24/21 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

We don't take that line anymore, it puts too much crap on the track :)

Keith Tanner
8/24/21 7:44 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm sure your name and lucky bastard have been spoken in the same sentence more than once.

Sometimes people leave off the "lucky". 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/24/21 7:46 p.m.

I'm sure there are days, and maybe most of them where you just grind. Hopefully days like today make up for them. I get a lot of the same sentiment being a pilot- it's really awesome sometimes, but most of the time it's just a day at work.

Keith Tanner
8/25/21 11:17 a.m.

...and today, I am packing brown boxes. If you get one of these, I apologize. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/25/21 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

You Renaissance man you.....................

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/21 1:53 p.m.

I miss the variety that comes with working at a small company.  I never particularly enjoyed having to give the men's room a quick clean when I noticed that it was in need just before we had visitors and I don't like shipping and receiving but I got to play with some really cool stuff, solve a variety of problems and every day was different.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/25/21 1:54 p.m.

Are you hiring? I'll move.

Keith Tanner
8/25/21 2:16 p.m.

I've been here 20 years (as of last week!) and this is the first time they've let me use a tape gun. There's a good reason. 

Keith Tanner
8/25/21 2:18 p.m.

Also, for some reason I am craving calamari for lunch. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lZdHIWLwQygHBPIXLE34yGLoPk6uj4EtzaknVPwUWuAZZQumF7vTK81rKcLtTVNW