1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/19/16 2:02 p.m.

A buddy of mine found these at his local junkyard today. Brand new production series cars, all still in protective wrapping, all crushed only a little and with no doors. The weirdest bit? Look at how many there are.

Did something unexpected happen? If not, then why did Toyota Canada do this? It looks like we have a mystery on our hands.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/19/16 2:09 p.m.

pre-production test cars prolly or failed spec

surprised they weren't crushed already

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/19/16 2:14 p.m.

Hmmm, how much for a drivetrain and harness

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/19/16 2:16 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: pre-production test cars prolly or failed spec surprised they weren't crushed already

Believe it or not, they aren't pre-production cars. Also, if they failed spec, wouldn't they have been crushed in Japan instead of in Ottawa of all places?

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/19/16 2:23 p.m.

New cars flooded in transit?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/19/16 2:25 p.m.

In reply to pkingham:

Possibly. But if they were flooded, wouldn't it be required that they be fully crushed as opposed to partially pancaked?

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/19/16 2:29 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Beats me. I've never seen or heard of this crushing of just the roof, so I was just guessing. Now that I think about it more, the manufacturers probably wouldn't want to deal with flood damaged parts (ecu, etc.) that came out of a wrecking yard, so that idea seems improbable.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/19/16 2:36 p.m.

Assembly line dome light installation robot uprising cover-up?

slowride
slowride HalfDork
3/19/16 2:40 p.m.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 2:45 p.m.

Train derailment?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/19/16 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

But if the train derailed, why would the doors be missing?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/19/16 2:47 p.m.

Why did they pull the doors? And where are they?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/19/16 2:47 p.m.

sedan door heist of the century

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
3/19/16 3:03 p.m.

Led sleds?

etifosi
etifosi Dork
3/19/16 3:07 p.m.

Choptop Challenge manufacturer team program?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/19/16 3:15 p.m.

Solaris. A new model coming from Toyota.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/19/16 4:40 p.m.

I think I agree with Javelin; it looks to be some kind of shipping or transportation accident. Though that still doesn't explain why the doors are missing.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
3/19/16 4:45 p.m.

Door guts and panels would be salvageable. Also looks like they all sit high in the front, so maybe they are pulling the bigger ticket stuff and sending back to Toyota for reuse.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
3/19/16 5:11 p.m.

I would say that for some reason, Toyota mandated that these VINs must be destroyed and assure that these VINs are never on the road.
The reason could flood, production error, etc.

Seems to me that the dismantler was very methodic about this destruction.
Pulled the perfect doors before squishing so as to not squish the doors but notice the squishing was such that the hoods and trunks suffered no damage.

I am sure he met the requirement that these VINs never hit the road.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/19/16 5:16 p.m.

The other part of this mystery, as there are no doors or roofs, how much can I buy one or two for? Assuming there is still a drivetrain

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
3/19/16 5:43 p.m.

Transport Canada testing?

It would explain the connection to Ottawa.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/19/16 5:47 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

But over 40 cars with the same type of damage?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 6:00 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Why did they pull the doors?

Because pushing doesn't do anything.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 6:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: so maybe they are pulling the bigger ticket stuff and sending back to Toyota for reuse.

If Toyota is at all like Ford, nothing goes back into "new" inventory. When Ford ships Transits to the US, they are shipped with a rear interior to beat the "chicken tax". This interior is then removed in the US and then discarded. Logistic nightmare to ship everything back to the assembly plant, as the bits and bobs need to be just so. The assembly line isn't set up for parts like that, assembly line needs to move move MOVE, no time to screw around with nonstandard parts like if trim piece A is missing a clip or has a clip still attached. And how much time would be spent inspecting all of that stuff to verify that it is assembly worthy? Not worth the hassle, dump it and move on.

I can't see Toyota (or anyone else) salvaging drivetrains from assembled vehicles. Fluids, possible damage in disassembly or shipment... too much liability. Take the scrap hit and move on with life, this is like 40 cars out of two million.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
3/19/16 6:31 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Also looks like they all sit high in the front, so maybe they are pulling the bigger ticket stuff and sending back to Toyota for reuse.

I know a guy who worked for a Toyota supplier for a while, Toyota is pretty lenient on that sort of thing (basically all is well if there are no complaints), but not lenient/stupid enough to reuse engines from junked out cars. I can maybe see them going to a central rebuilding facility where the dealer reman units come from, but not straight into a new car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c0YMvtFBT3Z8TrTYA0RXz4CGh9k9Um9CGuimVwkluMimRiFloliOUHAVouLSgoCu