1 2 3 4
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/11 12:14 a.m.

Ever since they came out, I have had an intense love affair with NSXs. Of course, at the time I was in high school and a bit naive, but they seemed to be very competent performers.

I now have a job (thank you oh great powers that be) that is paying me what I deserve for my talents and the dream of owning a 1991, clapped out, dented, 300k-mile NSX is vaguely within my grasp.

But... it seems like their resale value is much higher than the actual performance value of the car suggests. On one hand, I've always wanted one. On the other hand, I don't want to spend more on a vehicle than I get back in driving smiles.

Thoughts???

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
9/23/11 12:20 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: Thoughts???

Meh.

The oldest ones are OLLLLLDDDDD (getting close to 2 decades) and the newest ones will probably make you cry when you see the price. On top of that, IMO, they really need a supercharger at minimum.

Being the practical guy I am, I'd just by a 'vette. You could probably get a Z06 for the same price and beat the NSX in everyway (besides style and maybe build quality).

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
9/23/11 1:02 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Being the practical guy I am, I'd just by a 'vette. You could probably get a Z06 for the same price and beat the NSX in everyway (besides style and maybe build quality).

Don't forget this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnQK5WsgI4&feature=related

Can't beat that

Welp, I should watch the entire vid before I post it. Sounds good, driver sucks at manual.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/23/11 2:18 a.m.

I agree, I have always liked the NSX and they still look exotic today when you see them on the street. Unfortunately, the prices are pretty ridiculous for what you get in performance. Locally they range from $21K-40K. I'd much rather have an older Porsche 911, Cayman, Boxster S or even a Z06/C6 for the same money. Maybe not as exclusive, but you get a lot more car for the money.

They definitely need a supercharger at minimum.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/23/11 6:07 a.m.

I'll just leave this here:

http://vimeo.com/13412780

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
9/23/11 6:43 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: Thoughts???

I hear ya... arguably the most practical of all exotics. I've loved them since day-one as well. Even built the Tamiya model... Ever sat in one? Incredible outward visibility. None of the "cave feeling" you usually get with sports cars which I hate.

Production numbers have seemed to keep prices atthe "just out of reach" level since a mid-$20K-range model would be too old to get a loan for, so you need to have cash in hand.

Outright speed isn't everything... so I wouldn't put a supercharger on one and wouldn't touch a car that had one. I'd get a nice original one and keep it that way.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
9/23/11 6:54 a.m.

I was really disappointed with the driving position. Especially with a helmet on: I didn't fit at all, and I'm only 5' 10".

David

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
9/23/11 7:39 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: I was really disappointed with the driving position. Especially with a helmet on: I didn't fit at all, and I'm only 5' 10". David

This! I was really surprised about the lack of room you have inside. The suspension is another site to be seen. I go a headache looking at the front control arms

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/23/11 7:43 a.m.

You could get a Viper for the same price or if you are a little crazy a Maserati coupe.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/23/11 7:45 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: Ever since they came out, I have had an intense love affair with NSXs. Of course, at the time I was in high school and a bit naive, but they seemed to be very competent performers. I now have a job (thank you oh great powers that be) that is paying me what I deserve for my talents and the dream of owning a 1991, clapped out, dented, 300k-mile NSX is vaguely within my grasp. But... it seems like their resale value is much higher than the actual performance value of the car suggests. On one hand, I've always wanted one. On the other hand, I don't want to spend more on a vehicle than I get back in driving smiles. Thoughts???

It's an old supercar. The only thing that matters is your first sentence. Drive it. If you like it, get it.

Logic can go berkeley itself.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
9/23/11 8:00 a.m.

I love the NSX and plan to buy one soon. I have looked at and driven many, from bone stock to turbo and supercharged versions. Prices are all over the map and it depends on originality, maintenance records, how wild the mods are or if the car has been in an accident or repainted.

For me it came down to wanting a totally stock car that had all the services done, had a full list of maintenance performed and zero paintwork done. I decided on only buying an early car with the black roof and pop up headlights and earlier this summer I found the best car yet. It had some minor issues but was completely stock down to the factory car phone and was priced right. I had the cash to do the deal but decided to instead use the money to pay for my grad school tuition. Once I'm out of school and have a better job, I'll buy one for sure.

Yes, there are faster cars out there. However, the NSX is (IMHO) a work of art. The styling is timeless and the car is overbuilt and will last forever. Parts are very reasonable to find and buy and values are climbing. Yes, it might not sound as good as a Ferrari 308/328 but it won't break the bank like one either. They still stop traffic when you drive them, unlike most other sports cars and the average person has no idea that they are 20 years old.

If you want one, buy one. If you don't do it soon, the prices will keep going up and you will eventually be behind on the curve and not able to afford one ever. It's happened with me on some cars that I've wanted and I'm not going to let an NSX escape my garage. Owning one has been on my bucket list for years and that says it all.

BigD
BigD Reader
9/23/11 8:09 a.m.

The NSX is like the E30 M3. If you want one, you want one. Trying to find a replacement that on paper, ticks off all the superior boxes and costs half as much is not going to do it.

The Barret Jackson is on now and it's quite appropriate to this thread. Look at some of the prices there. A perfectly built custom car, with amazing performance and stunning looks sells for 25k. Some 40 year old hunk of crap that's a worse vehicle than a modern minivan... or hell even a bus in every way (comfort, convenience, ride, power, handling, braking etc), sells for 250k. Why? Because there are 2 or more rich dudes who want the latter and fight to get it. Why do they want it? Because they do. And there's no arguing with that.

Get an NSX.

Raze
Raze Dork
9/23/11 8:15 a.m.

I recently did a cost/performance survey of exotics you can reasonably buy for less than $30k, my list:

1) Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa (also available in coupe/hardtop) MSRP NEW 2002/2003 ~ $85000

2) Ferrari 348 TS (also available in convertible) MSRP NEW 90/91 ~ $120,000

3) Acura NSX (also available in targa removable hardop) MSRP NEW in 1991/92~$90000

4) Dodge Viper GTS (available in targa removable top as the RT/10) MSRP NEW 97/98 ~$150,000

5) Aston Martin DB7 Volante (also available in coupe) MSRP NEW 97/98~ $150,000

Believe it or not most have similar performance numbers (the Viper is fastest, the Aston/Ferrari slowest, however the NSX beats the pants off them all in terms of maintenance/cost of ownership).

Personally I like the Viper and the Maserati most, but the logic man in the back of my head is screaming for the NSX, I'll leave that there for you to chew on...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/23/11 8:25 a.m.

25-ish large will get you a clean Esprit S4s. That would kick a NSX's butt, but probably not a Viper.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
9/23/11 8:39 a.m.
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/23/11 8:49 a.m.

Probably not relavant or helpful but: I do not break my neck to get a look at a 911, viper, or z06 on the highway. I will for the nsx. I know it doesn't make them any faster or more fun to drive, but the 'cool' factor is there.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/11 8:59 a.m.

On a somewhat related note, I was in Dallas recently and caught this out of the corner of my eye while driving by Goodson Acura. Odd to have a wrecked NSX on display.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
9/23/11 9:05 a.m.

out of Raze's list, the NSX is the only one i really want.

it's presumably reliable. it looks amazing. i don't know, i just like 'em.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/23/11 9:23 a.m.
Raze wrote: 1) Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa (also available in coupe/hardtop) MSRP NEW 2002/2003 ~ $85000 2) Ferrari 348 TS (also available in convertible) MSRP NEW 90/91 ~ $120,000 3) Acura NSX (also available in targa removable hardop) MSRP NEW in 1991/92~$90000 4) Dodge Viper GTS (available in targa removable top as the RT/10) MSRP NEW 97/98 ~$150,000 5) Aston Martin DB7 Volante (also available in coupe) MSRP NEW 97/98~ $150,000

1) YES PLEASE

2) Meh

3) It is a cool but it just doesn't do it for me.

4) I would love one.

5) It is a tarted up XJS.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
9/23/11 10:34 a.m.

well hello http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/2593547390.html

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
9/23/11 11:33 a.m.

I agree with poop, I still jerk my head around on the rare occasion I see one.

Timelessly styled cars to me.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/23/11 11:37 a.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote: well hello http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/2593547390.html

I will double his asking price at $2.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/23/11 11:53 a.m.

What's really sad is that "riced out" ones....well, not riced out really...how do I put this...I don't know, 'ragged out' ones with non-appropriate wheels and mirror tint show up on atlanta CL every now and then. They're still $20k.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
9/23/11 12:11 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'll just leave this here: http://vimeo.com/13412780

I hate you.....

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
9/23/11 12:28 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'll just leave this here: http://vimeo.com/13412780

N.I.C.E.!

And just because

1 2 3 4