1 2
tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/20/11 9:30 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'd also wager that rebuilding an NSX V6 would be cheaper than swapping in an LSx.

Yeah, but... "while I am here, let me double the output of this engine (well, depending on cam and head selection) while reducing the weight" would be hard to ignore.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/20/11 9:37 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'd also wager that rebuilding an NSX V6 would be cheaper than swapping in an LSx.
Yeah, but... "while I am here, let me double the output of this engine (well, depending on cam and head selection) while reducing the weight" would be hard to ignore.

It'd be hard to ignore if i made well over twice my current salary, sure.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
5/20/11 9:40 a.m.

I think anyone with the funds to do major mods to an NSX isn't going to stress a ton about $5k. If he wanted it, then awesome. I also don't think an NSX needs more power, but that's coming from someone driving significantly cheaper and slower cars.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
5/20/11 9:52 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
z31maniac wrote: You want to start a discussion about "quality" as well?
Don't understand - "quality" hasn't been mentioned in this thread at all. Is this an inside joke that I am missing?

I figured you would have read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." He discusses the definition of quality, so I drew a parallel to refinement since they would appear to be related.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
5/20/11 9:56 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Don't understand - "quality" hasn't been mentioned in this thread at all. Is this an inside joke that I am missing?
I figured you would have read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." He discusses the definition of quality, so I drew a parallel to refinement since they would appear to be related.

Ahh - nope, sorry. I'm an engineer, quality is measured in PPM failures on whatever basis you choose (in the field, infant mortality, etc). Never read it (or owned a motorcycle).

GregTivo
GregTivo HalfDork
5/20/11 10:01 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Ahh - nope, sorry. I'm an engineer, quality is measured in PPM failures on whatever basis you choose (in the field, infant mortality, etc). Never read it (or owned a motorcycle).

Jinba Ittai <--The engine that works with the chassis is much nicer to drive than one that overwhelms it. I wouldn't say that the LS7 does such a thing (and who knows what else was upgraded, but I'd rather drive an Lotus Elan than a Shelby Cobra.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
5/20/11 10:01 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Ahh - nope, sorry. I'm an engineer, quality is measured in PPM failures on whatever basis you choose (in the field, infant mortality, etc). Never read it (or owned a motorcycle).

It's ok, really all it it was a snarky reply to your snarky reply.

Continue on....

coll9947
coll9947 New Reader
5/20/11 10:14 a.m.

I've told myself after Brawn GP and Button won the F1 championship in 2009 that I would stuff an AMG V8 in the back of an NSX. Honda chassis, Mercedes power, pure win.

I'd even fab up a fancy CF diffuser and stripe the car up like the BGP-001.

But, I'd still rock an LS powered NSX.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
5/20/11 10:32 a.m.

^I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
5/21/11 8:04 p.m.

I love the NSX concept - great cars.

I have repeatedly blown them off locally with my turbo Fiero, which probably has made a couple of them wish for a turbo - and if I owned one, that's the way I'd go. The LS7 is around $13K and that transaxle is big bucks too. That was a cost no issue conversion.

The stock engine can get twin turbs for $8K and while it adds only 120 BHP or so, the car will be very quick (1/4 around 12.8) and that solution just feels right unless you are a 'give me a V8 or give me death' type (and there is certainly no shortage of those around).

unevolved
unevolved Dork
5/21/11 8:06 p.m.

I've seen a few turbo NSXs, but I've never seen one last a full track day without a failure of some sort.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qW7e2bh0HwRDf98cQveiuVRiEpvUvpD1ce2fL0vBm0uj1ZBRoM9SWw0YK019yczH