1 2 3 4
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/8/10 10:45 p.m.

I would NOT leave a child unattended in a tent, too many drunks, Hongs and pit bikes to do that, however I would venture to say he would have a blast with us at the Moss Pub, we are a little crazy but it wasn't so bad.......mind out for Wayne though

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/8/10 10:54 p.m.

A motorhome or van should be okay, but a Tent might not be so great.

kcbhiw
kcbhiw HalfDork
5/8/10 11:34 p.m.

A bit late to the game, but here goes:

1. Peter Brock rocks. 'Nuff said.
  2. Wayne is breakable after all.
  3. A Mitty weekend can actually exist without a downpour at some random time throughout the day.
  4. The in-infield has some interesting areas. I want to damn Hardy and thank him at the same time. :) 4-foot tall rooster tails of mud are fun.
  5. Road Atlanta red clay is redder than anywhere else in GA.
  6. I'm glad I can't afford most of the cars out there. I'd need a bigger garage.
  7. It's been way too long since I've camped at Road Atlanta.

I'm definitely looking forward to next year and have it marked off on the calendar. This event gets better each year.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/1/11 3:36 p.m.

Revived for the 2011 edition.

1. The Mitty gets cooler every year.
  2. I need to stay away from motorized vehicles of any type when alcohol is involved.
  3. I have a great Australian accent, no matter what Steve says.
  4. A 2.5 hour ride on a 50cc motorbike is killer on the neck, back, shoulders, wrist and arms. I am in a large amount of joint pain right now.
  5. Sunscreen IS necessary. I didn't learn that last year, hopefully I will learn for next year.
  6. Wes Cobb STILL rocks. Hard.
  7. I still love GRM, even though I didn't get the job... No hard feelings, I am excited to see the new guys work!
triumph5
triumph5 Dork
5/1/11 4:02 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
alfadriver wrote: I would ask about Horst Quecht (and I know I should be able to spell that without thinking...).
Horst Kwech, a favorite of mine when he was raging against the BRE-Machine in his GTV. I still liked him after he jumped-ship, more so when I saw him debut this at Rd Atlanta in 1975:

If you can find it, John Morton's book, "The Stainless Steel Carrot" covers his early days, and his time in Trans Am. Good insight into what a "pro" team was like back then.

EDIT: Sylvia Wilkinson is listed as the author, but it follows Morton's career during those days, and much read as if he wrote it--especially the behind the scenes aspects of racing back then, in particular the financial stuff...

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
5/1/11 8:32 p.m.

I learned that I will move Heaven and Earth to return next year, but will be taking the Monday off so that I can come home after the event is done, not before noon on Sunday. I too have an inexplicable bruise on my back, and no explanation.

Sorry guys, but Wayne is no worse than anyone else that I know from Manitoba (and more civilized than many of the ladies I know from that great province!)

And Brian Johnson does indeed rock!

Oh, and now I need to save for a DIY-PNP for the Challenge car.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
5/1/11 8:36 p.m.

Thanks for all who attended. Just got back, a bit tired, but happy with how things went.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
5/1/11 8:49 p.m.

We had a blast as usual!! Strong work Tim and crew . . .

I actually talked Mrs. Zero into camping next year!!

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/11 8:53 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: 3) Lyonel and Danielle Kent are some of the nicest people on earth, and Lyonel is a badass MX-5 Cup driver.

The Kents are among our closest friends and neighbors and introduced me to GRM, The Mitty and racing in general. Great people.

Hope to make it back to they Mitty next year.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
5/1/11 9:21 p.m.

I would like to Thank All who joined in the Taco Crowd ! Jarrito Burrito Thanks You So much, Marie and I Karl could not of had a better welcome and wish to Thank all our customers ! Thank You to all the staff at Grassroots Motorsports and Classic Motorsports Magazine >>> Seamless Joy and a very well coordinated event , the owners and staff and all involved Thank You !!!!!! Special thanks goes out to Winners Circle for letting me keep my scooter at the tent !

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
5/1/11 9:30 p.m.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/2/11 6:54 a.m.

GRM guys thanks again for an amazing weekend, my nephew Eric accompanied me this year, we arrived about 10 minutes before the gates opened and the weekend just got better and better.

My observations

1. Nascars still make the greatest sounds
  2. Cold tires suck early on the morning (poor RX7 driver)
  3. Lifeflight is awesome
  4. GRM staff are almost as awesome
  5. GRM board members are the most fun sheeple anywhere.
  6. Brad CANNOT do an Aussie accent.
  7. Brad, alcohol and a hog are a non compatible combination (Hey ya'll watch this)
  8. Cold showers at Road Atlanta are not satisfying (can you say turtle)
  9. Yellow SUVs are more noticeable than a McLaren F1
  10. Wes Cobb does indeed rock
  11. Wayne and Wes doing a WWF pantomine was pretty much the real thing.
  12. Mike has an amazing side step when hammered
  13. Knee skin is very likely to not be present when you leave RA.

edit 14. 15 mpg using premium sucks but the RR behaved and performed flawlessly. However the 12v charger failed to work for two days then mysteriously worked again on the way home, all praise to the lord of darkness

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
5/2/11 8:02 a.m.

Once again, The Mitty and GRM knows how to put on a show. Meeting a bunch of GRM Members and Staff only furthers my opinion that this is the best website on the interwebs!

Added observations:

1. Dont let Brad around Alcohol and his bike
  2. Aussie's RR is badass!
  3. The Hongs are badass! Sorry i passed out early...
  4. Do not feed Fit Is Slo 4 Lokos.
  5. Playing Darts drunk is alot of fun!
  6. Who was the chick handing out the free beers? She was hot!
  7. Wayne's Vespa is probably the coolest one i have ever seen!
  8. The campground aftermath look like someone raped a chicken...

Until next year (or Petit Le Mans...) I look forward to meeting more of the GRM faithful and am planning on hiding Brad's keys or taking the plug wire off his bike...

SocialMotorsports
SocialMotorsports New Reader
5/2/11 8:14 a.m.

The 2011 Mitty was my first (of many). What a rockin' event! Best car event I've ever been to without driving...

My observations: 1. I added several cars to my bucket list (240z, 356 Porsche, 914, Another Miata - accept this time with turbo!) 2. Sunscreen is needed - in mass quantities (red-headed white boy though...) 3. GRM/CM know how to throw a par-tay! 4. MX5 Cup is Awesome to watch 5. Wes Cobb rocks.

Met a lot of cool people and enjoyed answering questions about SocialMotorsports.com...I think we gave out 4000 cards on Saturday alone.

Marking my calendar for next year!

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/2/11 9:37 a.m.

Lessons learned from this year's Mitty:

• 1) I have got to get my Dad to the track more often.
  • 2) Missing the opening races each day sucks. Next year we're camping.
  • 3) Watching a BMW 2002 pull Shelby GT350's down the straights is all giggles and grins.
  • 4) There's something just so right about a V8 in the engine bay of a Miata.
  • 5) Food from the vendors always tastes better than the stuff you brought from home. Props to the taco truck folks for the best deals in the village.
  • 6) Sponsors are awesome. Thanks to everyone for the food and suds at the Friday night parties!
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
5/2/11 9:43 a.m.

Here are some pictures and video from the weekend (no I'm not a pro . . .so don't laugh)

Mitty 2011

Strike_Zero's World

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/2/11 10:44 a.m.

Had a blast. I was able to stay for the whole weekend, which was great. I had to leave a day early last year. The only downside of the weekend was our camping neighbors who felt it was their duty to keep everyone around them awake until 2am Fri night/Sat morning, despite repeated requests by several people to keep it down. Anywho.

• The CM/GRM & HSR staffers are a great bunch of people.
  • I have GOT to own a six-cylinder BMW before I die.
  • WTH was that fur-covered car?
  • The Flyin' Miata cars seriously had me drooling.
  • The Jarrito Burrito truck got a little too much of my money, but it was totally worth it.
  • The CM/GRM tent is a shade-giving life saver.
  • I'm going to spend more time next year watching near Turn 12.
  • My dogs are still barking from all the walking. I need a pit bike for next year, or maybe a motorized bar stool.
Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
5/2/11 10:56 a.m.

The Fur-Covered car was an RX-4 IIRC.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
5/2/11 12:19 p.m.

Although not my first year at the Mitty, it was still the first time I went more than a day, stayed after dark, brought the wife, and got sloppy with some fellow board members.

My notes:

• My wife, Michelle, is beyond awesome. Not only does she understand the obsession, but wants to actually participate in the hooliganism. She also drove me home Saturday night so I could get red-faced and yell a lot.

• Next year, we're camping dammit. (surprisingly, she wants to do that too)

• The GRM/CM staff have to be some of the most approachable guys in the industry. They even put up with my feeble attempts at garnering some design work.

• The Mitty has to be my favorite motorsports event, period. The cars are more diverse than almost anywhere and the crowd is more manageable than Petite.

• Someone pee'd on The Duke's tent last year I think.

• Do not under any circumstances introduce your wife to other board members. Especially if they are a Hong or Australian. She will eventually tell an embarrassing story about you and then you will get made fun of endlessly.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
5/2/11 12:26 p.m.
Matt B wrote: My notes: - Someone pee'd on The Duke's tent last year I think.

eh... Its a combination of drunken nights at race tracks and me not opening it up and letting it air out. Ive probably pee'd on it or in it at one point...

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
5/2/11 12:37 p.m.

She will eventually tell an embarrassing story about you and then you will get made fun of endlessly.

Do 1,000,000 good deeds but berkeley one sheep in anger, and you are forever known as an angry sheep berkeleyer.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
5/2/11 4:05 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: ......I'm hopelessly in love with a Datsun Roadster.....

I owned a '66 roadster and then wanted a 240Z. I fell in love with this Datsun at last years JCC Show in Long Beach.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
5/2/11 4:47 p.m.
  1. Karl's tacos are awesome.
  2. Never drive (or ride) in a golf cart with Wayne 2.5 Golf carts handle differently in rough terrain with a lot of weight on one side.
  3. Wes needs to be inducted into Hong Norr
  4. People with stanced cars are mean.
  5. I want an M5
  6. We have a great group of fans
  7. I had no idea there were so many forum members there
aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/2/11 4:49 p.m.
clownkiller wrote: She will eventually tell an embarrassing story about you and then you will get made fun of endlessly. Do 1,000,000 good deeds but berkeley one sheep in anger, and you are forever known as an angry sheep berkeleyer.

Bwaahaaahaa

This year's quotable quote.

Mrs B is always welcome, if you have to tag along I guess we can put up with you for her sake.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/2/11 5:38 p.m.

I hate all of you.

As some of you perhaps noticed, I was absent from the festivities. Too many magazines going to the printer in too short a time meant someone had to stay behind and make the donuts. Please salute my sacrifice when you're reading the July issue of Classic Motorsports instead of the perfect bound book of blank pages you would have been reading had I been there.

I'm glad everyone had a good time, and the reports coming back seem to indicate an absolute winner of an event. While it was nice getting the magazines on track over the weekend, I pined more than a few times to watch my beloved '80s Trans-Am and GTO cars, or roll the MS3 out on track for the record attempt, or hang out with our readers while their wives and girlfriends expose themselves to me (gets you a bonus issue on your subscription. It's true. Look it up.)

Next year. Save me a spot.

jg

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KqVq6Kr7KfoEcuO6f4BAjIpu2NRqvBeS4yIdg4HZzUnSeDoE4SWSN5Ry7N0ppzGk