jsymonds
jsymonds New Reader
8/11/11 10:40 a.m.

Hey guys, I'm wondering about fluid compatibility with a '91 miata, I figured some of you might talk me out of worrying about it. I've got a few bottles of Pentosin DOT 4 LV (low viscosity) fluid that I bought for the BMW (antilock brake systems are hard to bleed without the proper equipment...long story), and it's supposed to be pretty nice stuff: http://www.pentosin.net/f_breakfluid.asp

I'd like to use it in my autocross/DD/beater miata, as long as I don't ruin anything. According to my research it was developed for some of the new SUVs (X5) and has been approved for all BMWs before it, so I figured it couldn't be too strange...but is this a bad idea for any reason?

Thanks!

jsymonds
jsymonds New Reader
8/11/11 10:43 a.m.

Oh, and this will be a full fluid flush and not mixing it in with the old fluid, of course.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
8/11/11 11:03 a.m.

I don't know about that particular brand but DOT 3 & 4 are compatible which means you can mix them with no adverse side effects. Complete flushing will help the performance so good choice.

How much extra would it cost you to go to Stainless steel flexible lines giving how far you are already going?

jsymonds
jsymonds New Reader
8/11/11 9:51 p.m.

Well, unless braided lines appear in my garage before I do this, they're not going to happen. I'm trying to use brake fluid I've already got to be a super cheapskate, so buying parts to replace ones that aren't broken is out of the question! It does say on the website not to mix it, which is why I mentioned a flush...but as the point is to replace old fluid, a flush is necessary anyway.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
8/11/11 11:09 p.m.
jsymonds wrote: Well, unless braided lines appear in my garage before I do this, they're not going to happen. I'm trying to use brake fluid I've already got to be a super cheapskate, so buying parts to replace ones that aren't broken is out of the question! It does say on the website not to mix it, which is why I mentioned a flush...but as the point is to replace old fluid, a flush is necessary anyway.

Exactly, I do mine every 75K anyway. Just keeps the feel of the pedal.

I was concerned of a Dot 3/4 with Dot 5 reaction. I didn't think you were mixing the stuff in the system.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BzIms3FIdL5Zzc9LIIyGip0EQbA9Y3AViJf0SKgpBua3TK581BzBrV7IA7lWrvZo