1 2
Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 2:50 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 2:54 p.m.

Hmm yes. Yes, this is good.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/28/16 2:55 p.m.
Javelin? wrote:

Just so we can get a second look.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
6/28/16 3:57 p.m.

So much amazing.

singleslammer
singleslammer GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/16 4:02 p.m.

Anyone want to clue the rest of us in?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 4:06 p.m.

Mazda won Le Mans 25 years ago - the first (and only, sorry Toyota) Japanese manufacturer to win. The car had a very distinctive livery, and Mazda's painted their current prototypes to match to honor the anniversary.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/16 4:17 p.m.

Too bad it's got a diesel instead of an R26B. :)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/28/16 4:43 p.m.

Yeah, does it go: "raapp" "raapp" "raapp" "raapp" "raapp"?

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 5:48 p.m.
codrus wrote: Too bad it's got a diesel instead of an R26B. :)

Nope, no diesels. SkyActiv-G gas motors.

Not as good as brapbrapbrap, but it's still a wicked cool tribute livery.

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 5:49 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

The original:

787B, 1st Overall at LeMans in 1991.

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 5:52 p.m.

The other car's livery isn't bad, either.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/28/16 6:09 p.m.

Those are quite fetching.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/28/16 6:16 p.m.

Needs more (skip to 30 sec):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gZ6OZK2Qu60

(such a great vid)

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
6/28/16 7:06 p.m.

Oh my, the noise...

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
6/28/16 7:33 p.m.

Lemans said they could run the rotary engine. The 787b was a gas hog though.

singleslammer
singleslammer GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/16 9:07 p.m.
Javelin? wrote: In reply to singleslammer: The original: 787B, 1st Overall at LeMans in 1991.

See, I recognize that! I was just confused as to what was going on there. Thanks for the clarification Keith and Javelin? (uh, Cobra?)

Quoted for sexiness

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/16 9:20 p.m.

Don't like the silver shark fin.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
6/28/16 9:23 p.m.

I never could wrap my mind around why Mazda (Japanese company) used Argyll sox (Scottish origin) as inspiration for a racing livery... Anyone?

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 9:43 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Don't like the silver shark fin.

The 767B was black on the back diamond but it contributed to the engine getting too hot. Changing to silver on the 787B actually lowered the under-bonnet temperatures by a significant amount. The new prototypes have to have the fin, so it just ends up in that silver color.

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 9:54 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: I never could wrap my mind around why Mazda (Japanese company) used Argyll sox (Scottish origin) as inspiration for a racing livery... Anyone?

Because it's not Mazda's livery. Mazda was White/Blue at the time. See the other 787B:

The car that won (#55) was sponsored by Renown Inc, a Japanese clothing and textiles conglomerate, who was also pushing their Charge line of clothing, which at the time made bizarre stuff like brightly patterned socks.

After the LeMans victory, Mazda modified the Renown/Charge scheme style for their use and swapped colors to the red and silver.

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 9:56 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Lemans said they could run the rotary engine. The 787b was a gas hog though.

False, the 787B was actually really good at fuel economy, which is why it won LeMans. Also, the rotary wasn't ever banned or allowed, the top spec for 92 simply changed to the 3.5L F1 rules to try and control costs for both series'.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/28/16 10:10 p.m.
Javelin? wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Don't like the silver shark fin.
The 767B was black on the back diamond but it contributed to the engine getting too hot. Changing to silver on the 787B actually lowered the under-bonnet temperatures by a significant amount. The new prototypes have to have the fin, so it just ends up in that silver color.

I know the prototypes have to have it, I just don't like it. the shape of the 787 is near perfection in my eye.

Javelin?
Javelin? GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/28/16 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Ah, gotcha. I thought it was about the color, not the shape. And in 100% agreement with you.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/28/16 10:28 p.m.
Javelin? wrote:
Trackmouse wrote: Lemans said they could run the rotary engine. The 787b was a gas hog though.
False, the 787B was actually really good at fuel economy, which is why it won LeMans.

As is usually the case at Le Mans, it also won because it was more reliable. Everything in front of it broke.

Building a dedicated race engine turns the normal order of things upside down, doesn't it? :)

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/28/16 10:48 p.m.

Good at fuel economy for a race car is probably a better statement.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
SHkuUj62cW7eKme6WLX9cVgDU9LIH0XR1ErX2zMc2Hnd1uFdZMts4ujUvj2W9DFR