GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/15 9:13 a.m.

I want to put together an oil cooler system for my Samurai on the cheap, but I want to use a good thermostatic sandwich plate so that I don't increase warm-up time or overcool the oil. I see that a lot of el cheapo cooler systems use large but inefficient coolers and regular oil resistant hoses with push-on fittings (and of course a very cheap full-flow sandwich plate). I have plenty of room for a big crude heat exchanger so I'm thinking that good sandwich plate + cheap cooler and lines = decent setup for fairly cheap. Good idea or is there some danger of those hoses blowing off from the 3-digit pressures?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/6/15 9:57 a.m.

Like fiber reinforced rubber hose? Hell no, double clamp that stuff, preferably with injection style clamps or at least the lined worm type(solid band 360 around the hose).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/15 9:59 a.m.

Not just pushed on, but held on with a screw-type hose clamp as you describe - that's how they're meant to be installed.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/6/15 10:06 a.m.

The pushlock style hose seems to work fairly well, just make sure it is rated for oil use (temp and pressure). Most of the remote oil filter kits come with this type of hose. I prefer the braided AN style, it lasts longer than the pushlock. I have had a few of the remote oil filter kits and after two years or so the hoses get hard and start leaking at the fittings.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/15 10:07 a.m.

Push on fittings as in standard hose barbs?

I don't see why it would be an issue. Lots of people use hose barbs and clamps for shop air at >100psi.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
1/6/15 10:11 a.m.

You really think a Sammy has 3 digit oil pressure?

Anyway, back on topic, there are push on fittings that can handle low 3 digit pressure, if properly installed and using the correct type hose (and don't require additional clamps). I'm fairly sure those hoses will have no trouble with oil, but I'm not sure about constant high temps. That stuff is not any cheaper than proper hydraulic hose and fittings, so I doubt that is what is in the kits that you are looking at.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/6/15 10:13 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

That should be fine.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/15 10:17 a.m.

The Parker "Push-Lok" hose made to be used with the special barbs that do not require hose clamps is rated at 350psi working pressure and oil temperature up to 212°F.

There are other hoses in that style with different pressure/temp ratings but any "push-lok" style hose should not be used with standard barbs.

They use this type of barb, no clamp:

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/6/15 10:27 a.m.

Why not use Oetiker clamps if you're paranoid

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
1/6/15 11:23 a.m.

I use the Summit brand push lock fittings and corresponding hose on my old GSXR750 oil cooler setup in my quad. No issues.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
3/25/21 9:22 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey :

what about using the asian type ' spring hose clamps,, they wont dig into the hose or alow the push lock fitting barbs to did into the hose, and they will alow expansion and contractions as the Oetiker cllamps do

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/25/21 9:50 p.m.

If it didn't get solved six years ago, there's no hope.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
3/26/21 9:29 a.m.

I know this is a zombie thread, but just want to point out - do not add hose clamps to Push-Lok fittings. This actually weakens the connection and reduces the pressure capability. 
Hose clamps are for garden-variety hardware store barb fittings only. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xaFcYtwM6pqX4szChVuOs8eXi9XhgxCefK2i7Ix7bp36JeRHMfWOMBygMyMhHbgG