1 2 3
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/30/17 7:59 p.m.

600 HP SBC and RWD-swapped R53 Mini in San Diego. I have no words.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/17 8:01 p.m.

"Practically finished".

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
4/30/17 8:05 p.m.

"Practically finished" = "I can't practically finish it"

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/17 8:13 p.m.

Seems sane enough....

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/30/17 8:15 p.m.

Holy berkeleying E36 M3balls!!!!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/30/17 8:16 p.m.

20$ says it handles like garbage now.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/17 8:28 p.m.

20$ says it is not currently self-propelled.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/30/17 9:38 p.m.

I like the holes in the doors.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/30/17 9:42 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I like the holes in the doors.

Looks like an exhaust vent for whatever pile of cooling equipment has taken the place of the passenger seat...

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/30/17 9:47 p.m.

Not enough Turbonique

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
5/1/17 4:14 a.m.

I'd want a whole cage.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/1/17 5:05 a.m.

Total BS.

Nobody builds a 600 hp engine without giving a single engine spec in the for sale ad showing how he got there.

Heads? Nope. Bottom end? Nope. Blueprinted? Nope. Exhaust, inrake, power adders? Nope.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/17 5:35 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Nobody builds a 600 hp engine without giving a single engine spec in the for sale ad showing how he got there.

Actually, I'd guess that's how most people sell their "600 hp" engines.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/1/17 6:57 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: "Practically finished".

90% done, 50% to go. It's the home built airplane's creedo.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/1/17 7:14 a.m.

What. The. Berk.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/1/17 7:15 a.m.
rslifkin wrote:
mndsm wrote: I like the holes in the doors.
Looks like an exhaust vent for whatever pile of cooling equipment has taken the place of the passenger seat...

I think that's the inlet side (assuming puller fan), and the window is the 'exhaust'.

'<danger armchair engineering>' I don't think that cooling setup has the capacity to cool a 600hp engine. Or even a 100hp engine.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/1/17 7:27 a.m.

As someone who has spent a lot of time playing with Subies, I really don't understand RWD conversions.

The underlying message seems to be that there was something terribly wrong with the car in the first place.

OK, then why not start with something that was designed to be RWD in the first place?

There's a built-in arrogance and dumbness. "Sure, there was a team of engineers and millions of dollars spent to build this FWD or AWD car, but I can make it better in my backyard because I HAVE A WELDER"

Keep dreaming.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/1/17 8:00 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Why? Because R53 with a broken engine + SBC sitting on a stand = "hold my beer"...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
5/1/17 8:01 a.m.

While the execution is highly suspect, the concept is interesting. I'll admit that I have taken the time to measure my MINI just to see how much room there is for a V8. It was curiosity calling. The answer was "Not much", but seeing busted MINIs for $1500, or less does get silly thoughts started. I think the sound of a V8 MINI firing up at the Challenge would turn a few heads.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/17 8:36 a.m.

V8 - ok, I'll give you that.

RWD - I'm with svrex, the mini can't seem to keep both rear wheels on the ground anyway.

However, I would not say no to a chance to pilot this thing around some cones.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
5/1/17 8:41 a.m.

Cast iron stock heads, a blow through carb with no intercooler, dual plane manifold, yeah thats 600 hp, probably more like 800 really.

But i dont hate it. Im just not sure what you would actually do with it, besides burnouts.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/1/17 8:47 a.m.

Going to guess "cause drift-racecar".

I am a firm believer in the maxim that says: "Wisdom comes from experience and experience comes from a lack of wisdom". Guy has an imagination, gotta give him that. And he actually started, which is better than a lot of dreamers ever do.... so not calling Fail on this one.

I bet this guy is a lot wiser than he was when he started. Maybe even smart enough to know it's time to bail and go fishing for a sucker to buy this thing.

From a design point of view, with 98" of wheelbase, and a rather blunt nose ideal for radiator locating, I am not sure why the rad is being put inside the car? Less chance of damage when drift-crashing?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/17 8:48 a.m.

Yeah but if you could talk him down to $6k, imagine what fun that would be for a $10K total investment. I'd drive it to work with open exhaust just because.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/1/17 8:53 a.m.

It's the automotive equivalent of dating a skinny white girl and trying to turn her into a curvy woman of color.

It's gonna end badly, and you're not gonna get a fun ride.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
5/1/17 8:56 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:
I'll bet he didn't cut the firewall and didn't set the engine back very far. That leaves no room for the radiator, so he stuck it in the passenger compartment.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V4LCF134u4IsVR9hoCQPduMqpDLYnDmpHjmftsvsdzpY7hw6qhAbZ6cQWc4uJaEm