1 2
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 4:30 p.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

Thankfully newer quick changes aren't nearly as bad. Last season the only time we touched ours were gear changes and fluid changes.  No leaks, no wear, and when they were checked over the winter they looked new after running 2-3 nights a week on dirt. 

The last few times I saw the nascar tour modifieds run Lime Rock they left the offset suspensions, just shifted weight to the right and added 2" wheel spacers on the left side. 

Rick O'Shea
Rick O'Shea GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/14/21 4:52 p.m.

For what it's worth- High Plains doesn't care about fenders on open lapping days. I was there a few weeks ago and there were two Formula Vee's, a Formula Ford (Fit?), and a few F1000's all running in the same groups as us tin-topped-full-fendered mobiles.

It was challenging spotting the F1000's coming up on me because of their low profile. I suspect a Modified won't suffer the same lack of visibility.  

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/14/21 5:24 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

That's good info. I have been out of the late model game for a while now so my info is dated. Appreciate the fresh info!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 6:12 p.m.

In reply to New York Nick :

The ones under our Busch cars needed almost constant love to work for us, the newer ones are not nearly as needy. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/14/21 8:23 p.m.
rogue_ryder said:

Thanks for all the replies GREAT info!

I've been digging more and more and did find the original post about the Hill Climb car a member here owns!  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1990-troyer-modified-hillclimber/73618/page1/  I wish I had found that before starting this thread as that is really close to what I'm envisioning.  While we have the most famous hill climb just a couple hours south of my house, I don't quite think I have the skill set to enter that event :D although my buddy and I did get our asses chewed out by the ranger up there for riding our motorcycles at a good clip on one of the paved sections (back when it was still partly dirt).  

wouldn't you want to start with a short track stock car?

I grew up in the North East and as a kid watched a lot of Modified Racing and have always loved the look of these cars.  Not to mention back then they had Big Blocks in 'em and nothing beats the sound of Big Block race engine. These cars are the New England Redneck version of an Indy car.  While a full bodied stock car meets requirements it's just not as interesting to me.  I'd also expect the Modified to weigh less making it a better car for an Amateur to run on a road course. Dollar wise an Modified is pretty inexpensive, an old roller can be had for as little as $2k and car that raced last season is $6-$10K without a motor.  

Many years ago when I was working for a Spec Miata shop; we were up at Road Atlanta on a test day  where all classes and types of cars are on the track together and one of our cars was on the track with a Dale Jr #8 car (pretty sure it was a former Cup car but with a different engine i.e. slower).  Our Miata came flying down hill through turn 12  and caught the Dale jr car on that front straight and passed him like he was standing still on the inside of turn 1 (the Dale car was being driven hard by whomever owned it and to be fair our particular driver of that Miata was FAST a previous SM SARRC winner).  Watching such a sad performance of a Cup car out on a road course against a Miata has also really ruined the idea of ever running one of those cars on a road course.  But on the other hand seeing those stock cars at test days also helped spawn this idea in my head.  

I understand your disappointment with the NASCAR.  When I raced SCCA A 105 hp Formula Ford   Would lap about the same time as a big block Cobra or Corvette.  
     But there is great joy in forcing those obsolete old beasts to your will.  You feel alive, more intently than  you do delicately threading the needle with a formula car. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
4/15/21 1:32 p.m.

Well with NASCAR going to the next generation of cars for 2022 there should be a lot of cars both oval and road course available by the end of the year. With 600 to 800 hp plus don't think a Miata is much of a threat. From what I understand current cars will not be used in xfinity or ARCA series. Generally these car sell for penny's on a dollar for what they cost to build.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/15/21 3:30 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

Yeh but still requires a whole wad of greenbacks to get one.  That plus nothing on the current crop of engines is the same as the race car engines. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
4/15/21 4:27 p.m.

On Racing Junk right now $19500 with engine. There are also several others varying in price.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/21 5:32 p.m.

One of these has been for sale in the Baltimore Maryland area for months...

Old modified

rogue_ryder
rogue_ryder New Reader
4/21/21 2:09 p.m.

^ Now that is seriously cool!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FzqZBIEFkvIrevR8rK788qdu5lwVFOEnDrp3ILDq0GfmbmrvTg6pbKTxU3AJ1kSr