1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/8/20 5:45 p.m.

Call this blasphemous.....  and in my own opinion.... but I think the Mark II looks better then a C110 Skyline surprisesurprise 

Interesting that they run nearly concurrently (1972-76 for the Mark, and 1972-77 For the C110

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
2/8/20 5:50 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

Alright... ... paint "experiment"  using photoshop, or other graphics program... lets see how those colors would look....  As far as your "canvas"... this is the best I can do for the time being....

Quoted for awesome. 

SavageHenry
SavageHenry New Reader
2/8/20 8:42 p.m.

I like all the color choices at the top of the page. I agree that the styling on these is great. Around here they are pretty much nonexistent. Would the echo electric power steering be a good fit?

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/11/20 1:16 p.m.
SavageHenry said:

Would the echo electric power steering be a good fit?

??   not enough info?  

Concerning the steering, I'll need to get a photo showing the column, steering box, and pitman arm, and how they are mounted....  I'm not sure (don't know) if anything else could be fitted....

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/20 2:04 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

The Toyota Echo/Yaris electric steering is compact and part of the column, so it is popular for retrofit by adapting just the column to another vehicle.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/12/20 9:37 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

ok......  that gives me power steering if I want it....  but how do I quicken the steering (for example - from 4 turns down to 3)....  or that still requires different internals in the steering box, OR a different steering system.......???

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/12/20 10:05 a.m.

Steering quickener from stock car supplier coupled with the electric column would be my recommended solution 

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/20 10:27 a.m.

IMO the C110 Skyline looks like an 3/4 scale AMC product. The styling of your Toyota looks Mopar to me. 

I like the cherry blossom / panther pink idea. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/12/20 10:28 a.m.

Probably less work to do a steering quickener, and since you're into the column at the same time to do the Echo column swap... The Saginaw 800 box I mentioned in first-gen Jeep Grand Cherokees is a popular swap into a bunch of GM cars and small trucks.  3 turns lock to lock. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
2/12/20 10:34 a.m.

If you do not want the extra parts of a quickener, and are willing to fiddle with it to get the bump steer correct, the way to quicken it is to make the pitman arm longer or make the steering arms shorter. If the engine installation requires moving the steering box and idler, this is what I would do, or convert it to a rack & pinion set. If the engine clears the stock set, I would probably do the add on quickener.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/12/20 10:45 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

What years Yaris/Echo do they use?

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
2/12/20 11:25 a.m.

Subscribed!!!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/12/20 12:03 p.m.

Hmmm, need to look into steering quickners......  not sure I want it much tighter then 3 turns.....  does someone make a 1.33 version???

another color was brought to my attention... from down under - Wild Plum... black accents go well with it

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/12/20 5:08 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

Call this blasphemous.....  and in my own opinion.... but I think the Mark II looks better then a C110 Skyline surprisesurprise 

Interesting that they run nearly concurrently (1972-76 for the Mark, and 1972-77 For the C110

Does anyone (whose vision isn't clouded by nissan fanboism) disagree with you about this? That's always been the ugliest skyline to my eye. Also mkii is gorgeous! 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/12/20 5:11 p.m.

What about an astonish green? 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/16/20 4:20 p.m.

brand new windshield due on Wednesday.......

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/16/20 5:04 p.m.

hmmmm, another similar looking/sized car...  Fiat Dino coupe...  more glass in the Fiat....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/17/20 7:12 p.m.

Quite a bit further today...... told swmbo the estimated cost, and I'm still sleeping in the house, in the bed... woooo hooo

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/17/20 7:39 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Unsure on the years as I've never done it, just heard it talked about and read about it here and on several forums. A little Googling will probably point you the right way, or perhaps a more experienced GRMer will chime in.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/20/20 12:49 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

brand new windshield due on Wednesday.......

so it turned out to be Thursday.....  SOOOOO happy!!!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/25/20 4:43 p.m.

so...the entire front suspension, and engine mounts are part of the front cradle/cross member assembly... drop the pitman arm, idler arm, brake lines and 4 bolts... and the entire front cradle/cross member comes out as a unit!

I've also been busy ordering suspension parts... 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/5/20 10:53 a.m.

So the suspension parts have arrived, I'm waiting on the last of the steering parts - pitman arm, idler arm, and outer tie rods.  I know this because.......

I finally got the car up on the lift (and only got this one photo frown )  Underneath inspection showed no surprises... I wasn't expecting.

I was able to get some measurements on the transmission tunnel, and shifter location.... and neither of the AR5 shifter locations (front - Colorado truck, or rear Solstice/Sky) will work.... sad  The Truck location may(likely) interfere with the firewall, while the rear one puts the engine too far forward.  I need it kind of in between

I spoke with the guy making the adapter I'll be using, and as the AR5 is a American R154....  The R154 adapter/shifter from a Japan model JZX110 - aka 2001-2007 Mark II does fit   ( surprise right...???)  the AR5, and moves it to about the red  "X"  above. 

Shifter parts on order from Japan yes

I've now had 3 different restoration "shops" come take a look, I expect one more over the weekend.   2 of the shops who have seen it, have full capability = acid dip, full metal restoration/rebuilding - including bumpers, paint, and rebuilt interior.  The mechanical, and electrical will be my responsibility.   One of the 2 shops knows what T.O.R.C. is.......

BUT........  before it goes anywhere...  I have to make it mine... and to make it mine in Oregon....  ALL out of state cars being titled in Oregon REQUIRE a vin/title inspection......

Sooo we (thank you fellow shop mate Harley) loaded it up, drove it to DMV, where I waited nearly 3 hours.... 

but the car is now titled in Oregon, in my name.

More to come.....  smiley

pres589 (djronnebaum)
3/5/20 11:01 a.m.

From the parts drawing shared here, the rear suspension looks pretty competent, which is kind of a nice surprise?  Good deal on the title.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
3/12/20 11:39 a.m.

So... a few updates....  the new shifter arrived....

and I've begun thinking about subtle body modifications.

The first one has to do with the hood...  adopting a 68/69 GTO/Firebird hood scoop...........

And...  a dual center-exit exhaust - apologies for the poor rendition:  license is moved - it uses a flipdown license plate holder (dual purpose as it also "hides" the trunk lock)  the section below the exhaust is "frenched" so it is smooth all the way across on the bottom

more to come...... smiley

pres589 (djronnebaum)
3/12/20 11:49 a.m.

Pair of round exhaust tips coming out of the body work, kind of like a GT40, might be nice.  Square exhaust tips like the 4th gen Camaro parts always sound awful...

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jNH8rAFg2FGAlTD9stDw5SFBG2WEgJGjQgab7FMzFF2X7x3rYWctc7gZjMuUjSkp